Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com


Recommended Posts

Yeah, that was a big part of it. Guice was coming off a big injury and one in which he hadn't completely recovered from by training camp... or at least he had recovered in a way where they really treated him with kid gloves in practice and preseason games. The idea of wanting to cut Peterson and then deactivating him felt wrong for two reasons: 1) It felt petty and vindictive and 2) It didn't work and was proven stupid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

 

Don't know bout anyone else, but my post didn't detail any culture change...it was predicated solely in on-field results. Back when we found out AP was inactive the reaction wasn't too different from what we're seeing now--didn't see that coming, why, what's going on, coupled with the usual speculation. It was only when the running game proved itself to be ****ty--complete with Guice instantly getting injured--that the pitchforks came out. I expect more of the same should the on-field results be similar under the culture change.


I was speaking entirely on the point that this very same move, under Gruden, was met with initial contempt.

 

And that’s not the initial reaction this time.

 

I don’t disagree that it could change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KDawg said:


I was speaking entirely on the point that this very same move, under Gruden, was met with initial contempt.

 

And that’s not the initial reaction this time.

 

I don’t disagree that it could change. 

 

We didn't find out about AP being inactive until gay day, right?...I don't remember us having too much time to react with contempt because we didn't have to wait but a few hours to see if it was the right decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

We didn't find out about AP being inactive until gay day, right?...I don't remember us having too much time to react with contempt because we didn't have to wait but a few hours to see if it was the right decision.


Your memory is failing you.

 

People lost it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacoby6644 said:

I would much rather have AP than Barber. Maybe I’m wrong but even this late in his career i think AP is better. 

I would much rather have Fournette than Barber.  I'm pissed that we passed on Fournette and THEN released AP.  

 

There must be some RB about to hit the market that we don't know of yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KDawg said:


Your memory is failing you.

 

People lost it.

 

 

Game thread....check out the first pages when people found out AP was inactive. My memory is just fine lol...

 

 

https://es.redskins.com/topic/429743-skins-at-filthadumpia-game-day-thread/

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, justice98 said:

Here's the thing about Scott Turner.  We have some guys that catch it, some guys that run, we have ZERO guys that approximate what McCaffrey can do.  All of our backs are one dimensional.  All of them. They can list Gibson as a RB, he’s probably not getting more than 5-10 touches a game, max.  

I don't know very much about Scott Turner as an Offensive Coordinator mainly because he's never been a professional OC before.  Not sure anyone has that intel.  Suppose one could draw some sort of idea from his football education and mentors, however he's in a new position.  Obviously he's shown what he does like and maybe now with this cut of AP what he values more. 

As far as Gibson, all indications are that they believe he's super valuable and capable of far more than 5-10 touches per game.  He's 6 foot 220 lb and runs a 4.39 - 40. This is a bigger, stronger, and faster version of Christian McCaffrey.  So, what you're saying doesn't add up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I don't know very much about Scott Turner as an Offensive Coordinator mainly because he's never been a professional OC before.  Not sure anyone has that intel.  Suppose one could draw some sort of idea from his football education and mentors, however he's in a new position.  Obviously he's shown what he does like and maybe now with this cut of AP what he values more. 

As far as Gibson, all indications are that they believe he's super valuable and capable of far more than 5-10 touches per game.  He's 6 foot 220 lb and runs a 4.39 - 40. This is a bigger, stronger, and faster version of Christian McCaffrey.  So, what you're saying doesn't add up.

 

Because he has measurables doesn't mean he's gonna be featured and they're gonna feed him the ball.  Or that he has the instincts.  Just in the passing game, if he catches 5 passes a game, that's a lot.  And his exposure in the running game seems like it'll mostly be screens and sweeps and such.  At least, starting off, anyway.  If he gets 5 of those, that's a lot.  Just think how many of those get called in a game.  You're really just hoping he breaks one or two of 'em, rather than the idea he's gonna get a ton of volume.

 

Now, he might get a little more simply by default, because when they drafted him Guice and AP were here.  But it's really unfair to this kid for folks to keep mentioning him and McCaffrey in the same breath.  McCaffrey came into the league as a polished player, who dominated at the college level.  Gibson barely touched the ball in comparison.  Folks need to slow their roll.  Let him do what he does without the comparisons. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justice98 said:

 

Because he has measurables ......dominated at the college level.  Gibson barely touched the ball in comparison.  Folks need to slow their roll.  Let him do what he does.....

 

Hopefully he does it like Kamara did it his first year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He was a one trick pony, @KDawgis right.  But it was still a good trick.

One of my favorite announcers in any sport is Mary Carrillo, who has been one of the main voices of tennis for 30 years.
 

She once said, describing Maria Sharapova, who was on her way to bludgeoning her way to an Australian open championship, (paraphrased) “It’s ok to be a one trick pony if that pony is Secretariat.”

 

That said, I’m fine with the team releasing Peterson for all the reasons mentioned above.  
 

JP Finley has said repeatedly, new coaches, new staff, new scheme, look for unexpected changes.

 

Also, this means Ron and Co have a lot of confidence in the other guys.  And maybe want to keep alive around for the future, get him more practice reps to see how he develops and recovers to see if he can get back to his previous level. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the best possible news IMO. It means we are going to ride Gibson and he is ready. Dudes 6' 230lbs and runs a 4.39 40. Can get between the tackles and is a WR quality pass catcher.

 

This is so bad ass and exciting.

 

I think it also shows how much we over rate some of the little things like pass blocking. Dudes a lot faster than CMC and is now getting that role. Gibson is going to be a monster.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it also shows how much we over rate some of the little things like pass blocking. Dudes a lot faster than CMC and is now getting that role. Gibson is going to be a monster.

 

I'm not sure anyone will over rate pass blocking if we find out our backs can't pick up the blitz.  That has always been an issue for young backs, you just can't have a back who can't protect your QB as teams will find out very quickly and send the house.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

I'm not sure anyone will over rate pass blocking if we find out our backs can't pick up the blitz.  That has always been an issue for young backs, you just can't have a back who can't protect your QB as teams will find out very quickly and send the house.  

I'm not saying that it's not important at all, but if AP is a monster blocker and can get you 1,200 yards rushing vs Gibson who lets just say can't block and can get you 1,000 yards rushing and 600 yards receiving, there is zero question who is your starter. They send the house, Haskins just has to make the pass and make them pay for it. There is more than one way to neutralize a blitz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not saying that it's not important at all, but if AP is a monster blocker and can get you 1,200 yards rushing vs Gibson who lets just say can't block and can get you 1,000 yards rushing and 600 yards receiving, there is zero question who is your starter. They send the house, Haskins just has to make the pass and make them pay for it. There is more than one way to neutralize a blitz.

 

If your back can't pick it up it can cripple an offense. We've seen a lot of backs who looked promising running the ball in preseason but didn't see the field until they learned to block.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

If your back can't pick it up it can cripple an offense. We've seen a lot of backs who looked promising running the ball in preseason but didn't see the field until they learned to block.  

Especially under Gruden, because we know know he intentionally played favorites, instead of more talented players.

 

Again, not dismissing it's importance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see the value of this move, especially with questions around our o-line play.   Doesn't seem like you're doing Haskins any favors by going that route... unless they're really that good AND durable.   Any scenario that has us looking for bodies at RB later in the season,  and this move is a failure.   

 

He wasn't expensive...maybe speaking out more in the press didn't fit Ron's program?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Point is AP is mostly a north/ south runner that needs to get 20+ touches a game to be effective. This was his last year on the team. Skins still wont be very good this year.

They need to see what they have in this offensive system and the young guys they have. Then make decisions on the draft next year.

AP absolutely has something left .. Look if 80y old Gore found a job.. AP is better all around back. He will land somewhere. Its the same issue with every system. Saints, Gruden Skins and now Rivera Skins.. his running style limits what your O could do. It worked last year Since the team ran the ball every down in the 2nd half.

AP is still a very good N/S runner but does not fit in to this system and is not a receiving back (something Barber is). Keeping him just to for mop up time does not make sense

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, megared said:

Don't see the value of this move, especially with questions around our o-line play.   Doesn't seem like you're doing Haskins any favors by going that route... unless they're really that good AND durable.   Any scenario that has us looking for bodies at RB later in the season,  and this move is a failure.   

 

He wasn't expensive...maybe speaking out more in the press didn't fit Ron's program?


It’s actually the opposite imo, this IS for Haskins. It’s been reported since the cut that he is more comfortable running the concepts that the others RB’s run, which works out because so is Turner. AP just became a square peg in a round hole, and not good or young enough to justify making it work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TK locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...