Reaper Skins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

The one issue is AP isn't versatile. Him being on the field is a huge signal to the defense. With the importance of versatility that Rivera, Smith, and Turner went out of their way to talk about and draft onto the roster this offseason, does that concern no one? It almost feels like they'd rather have a slightly lesser talent at RB if it doesn't tip their hand at all. 

It could still work. PA passing on 1st down is one of the most efficient plays in football (and doesn't need to be "set up" at all). AP on the field on early downs leaves this as an option, even if he's not a weapon in the passing game on anything other than the rare swing pass. And he can still grind the clock in the 4th quarter when we have a lead (the only good time to run more than you pass), though he's more effective after having pummeled the defense for a full game. 

So I'm not saying he won't make the roster. I'm just saying playing him pretty much demands the type of one-dimensional usage that our new staff seems against, but for some reason that's not raising a red flag around here. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I could see AP as a potential cut candidate. But I don't think it happens. He's relatively cheap. And I think there are players in the skill position group that would be cut before him.

For all we know, Love gets PUPed again.

Cutting AP and having Guice go down again and Love not able to contribute much this year would mean our top back every down guy is Barber.

McKissick and Gibson are backs and receivers.

I live in a world where the pass catcher roster looks like this:

RB:

Peterson

Guice

Love

*Barber - if Guice or Love aren't healthy, but he's likely gone if they aren't unless AP looks awful or he's extremely impressive

Flex:

Gibson

McKissick

Receiver:

McLaurin

Golden Goose

Sims

Harmon

Latimer* - Inactive

TE: 

Moss

Thomas

Hentges

The Flex spot gives you some wiggle room at Receiver, RB and even a little TE for H-Back type work. 

Ultimately, I think Barber is on the roster this year because I'm not entirely positive Guice or Love make it out of camp healthy or even start at that point (I haven't seen much RE: Love's recovery). I hope they do. Electric players that help add a lot to the offense. But this is also why I'd be surprised if they cut AP given his experience, ability to still run the ball, and relative durability.

Ferguson is around and they will hope no one picks him up in case extra injuries occur. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

Love, I could definitely see miss another season.

Guice, I could definitely see RR not being a ‘fan’ initially and working his tail off hard to make him prove himself. Just a hunch on that. Not that I think that would be a bad thing overall.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I could see AP as a potential cut candidate. But I don't think it happens. He's relatively cheap. And I think there are players in the skill position group that would be cut before him.

For all we know, Love gets PUPed again.

Cutting AP and having Guice go down again and Love not able to contribute much this year would mean our top back every down guy is Barber.

McKissick and Gibson are backs and receivers.

I live in a world where the pass catcher roster looks like this:

RB:

Peterson

Guice

Love

*Barber - if Guice or Love aren't healthy, but he's likely gone if they aren't unless AP looks awful or he's extremely impressive

Flex:

Gibson

McKissick

Receiver:

McLaurin

Golden Goose

Sims

Harmon

Latimer* - Inactive

TE: 

Moss

Thomas

Hentges

The Flex spot gives you some wiggle room at Receiver, RB and even a little TE for H-Back type work. 

Ultimately, I think Barber is on the roster this year because I'm not entirely positive Guice or Love make it out of camp healthy or even start at that point (I haven't seen much RE: Love's recovery). I hope they do. Electric players that help add a lot to the offense. But this is also why I'd be surprised if they cut AP given his experience, ability to still run the ball, and relative durability.

Ferguson is around and they will hope no one picks him up in case extra injuries occur. 

Couple of your points jump out to me initially:

- Barber is signed to a 2 year deal which to me is a huge red flag for AP. Remember, it was Guice who dominated RR's Panthers, not AP and RR probly remembers that well. Signing Barber imo is a direct threat to AP, why Barber is the question I would have there? What do they see in him that AP doesn't offer besides 10 years in age difference?

- I would bet Harmon is inactive before Latimer is. I wouldn't sleep on Latimer and I believe he was signed because they see him ready to take then next step. I could be very wrong here but why sign Latimer if you don't think he can contribute right away? 

One thing RR continues to say is that his coaching staff knows very little about some of these young guys they have on the roster so maybe he brought in some free agent competition and is gonna see who wins jobs? That seems like a good bet with the WR's across the board excluding T-Mac. 

As for Love's recovery, in the last interview I saw with him he was targeting the Spring mini-camp to get back on the field and compete. I would imagine he'll be ready for camp if there is one in August. If everyone is healthy, I'm gonna bet they do AP the veteran hall of famers courtesy and release him with a chance to find work elsewhere. Unless he is clearly the best back in camp I just don't see a reason to keep him over the others and I was the one pining to sign him 2 years ago......add in the fact that our offensive line is likely gonna be patch work and I can't see AP adding much. We will need versatile guys and a diverse offense just to give our line a fighting chance as things stand right now. Maybe your point about durability is why they keep him?

So, my $.02 is I hope we don't have a "first/second down RB" and a "Third down back." At all.  Or an every down back. 

The premise of having those roles is you are running on first down to get~4 yards to make 2nd and 6 easier to pick up.  I find that to be an extremely antiquated way of thinking.

What I would hope is with all of the various different type of weapons with a variety of different skill sets, we line up with different personnel groupings a lot, and rotate people in and out a ton just to keep the defense off-balance.  The key is to be able to do everything from every set.  That way the defense can't predict what you're going to do.  Which has been a HUGE and ENORMOUS problem the last 3 years.  

I would like to see sets with 3 RBs no the field at the same time and throw the ball, 5 wide and run the ball, just be extremely creative.  Blow up the whole concept of a player fits a role, and have everybody do everything.  Obviously, some folks fit better in one spot than others, like you're probably not going to make a habit of lining up McLaurin in the backfield.  

But we now have so many folks who have diversity, I think it would be fine, for example, to have a 1st down grouping of McLaurin, Gandy Golden, Gibson, Sims and McKissick all on the field at the same time.  You don't have a "typical" 1st down running back, but you have 2 RBs who can run and catch and have speed, a WR who is really good at taking the ball on a handoff (Sims), a larger receiver (Gandy Golden), and you're traditional #1 WR in McLaurin.  

They could do ANYTHING out of that set.  Hand it to one of the RBs, throw a screen, play-action with a deep shot, quick game, drop-back and take a shot.  Everything is on the table because they have size, speed and athleticism everywhere.  

Contrast that with a more traditional grouping of McLaurin, GG, Guice, some TE, and either Sims or another TE, your options are just more limited.  Which is not to say they shouldn't have this package at times.  But Guice is definitely a better runner than catcher, even though he can do both, and any TE on the roster lacks the speed that the "weapon" RBs/WRs have.  You tip your hand a bit that you're going to run the ball.  There are coaches who wold line up with this formation on first down, every time, and run the ball into the middle of the line for 1.3 yards, and then try and get a first on 2nd and 3rd down.

But I just don't see that as necessary.  You might not have elite talent, but you have so much versatility.  Make life easier for the QB, the OL, and even the skill position players by being innovative and creative, which forces the defense to play things more straight up.  

At least that would be my approach.  

• Like 2

The dudes in that RB group that expect or feel they deserve something will lose. As Skins fan we’ve learned AP is in no way wired this way. 

Would surprise me if AP were to lose, but it will happen someday to him. It does seem like a good fit for him with Rivera on many levels. 

• Like 1

If the Skins do decide to move on from AP, they should release him early. He deserves that chance to catch on elsewhere; if we want to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So I'm not saying he won't make the roster. I'm just saying playing him pretty much demands the type of one-dimensional usage that our new staff seems against, but for some reason that's not raising a red flag around here. 

Use Peterson in two back sets or for six man protections if you need to break up the pattern of your playcalling.  Use him with Gibson lined up as an H-Back.  That wouldn't tip your playcall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the Skins do decide to move on from AP, they should release him early. He deserves that chance to catch on elsewhere; if we want to move on.

No way AP is released...he's a leader, he sets the tone in practice and in games, he still runs the ball incredibly well and he sells tickets because he's one of the best RB's in NFL history.

He might not be a Redskin next year but I think he is top priority in helping to rebuild the culture.  You can't have a room full of unproven RB's who lack experience.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

No way AP is released...he's a leader, he sets the tone in practice and in games, he still runs the ball incredibly well and he sells tickets because he's one of the best RB's in NFL history.

He might not be a Redskin next year but I think he is top priority in helping to rebuild the culture.  You can't have a room full of unproven RB's who lack experience.

I agree AP is a leader and that’s pretty valuable in a regular offseason. I wonder how much that’s worth under the current circumstances. I’m happy we have seasoned coaches and hopefully their leadership can somehow get through to the entire team during these times. 

I do like AP but wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the odd man out as his play has fell off a little and his leadership can’t shine so to speak at this moment. 

I do hope my ES family is staying safe and wishing you all the best. 

Hail

Edited by skinsfan212689

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Use Peterson in two back sets or for six man protections if you need to break up the pattern of your playcalling.  Use him with Gibson lined up as an H-Back.  That wouldn't tip your playcall.

I could see using him and Gibson in the backfield together. I advocated putting him and Guice in the backfield together last year for the 47 minutes Guice wasn't hurt.

What I just don't advocate is 2 WR, 2 TE and Peterson with a power run up the middle any more than 2-3 times a game.  Unless it's situational (goal-line, short yardage, etc.)

I could definitely see AP is a short yardage back, and I could see him used with play action some.  I know Ron wants to run the ball, and I'm sure they will get him touches, and I think he is a virtual lock to make the roster and contribute.

However, I really want to see them be creative.  The 3-yards and a cloud of dust offense is just sustainable in today's NFL.  AP could have monster YPC stats if the defense didn't KNOW he was going to carry the ball. Maybe he only gets 5-6 touches a game, but if he could average 6 or 7 yards per touch, that is massively helpful for the offense.  He might not like it, though. 

18 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

I would prefer to have AP play for us this year.   See my earlier post.  I just posted that, if in case; we decide to move on.  He deserves a shot to catch on elsewhere; if we want to just stick with the young guys.

I think it is important to have mentors on the field, gray beards, who can teach the pups the right way to train, practice, and be a pro. We had a bunch of those in the glory years. I remember every year hearing about some rookie in awe of how hard Art Monk or Darrell Green would practice. It set the right tone and set the right expectation. I think that is one of the invisible values that AP adds.

I suspect AP's reputation matters to the incoming players and first years. He's one of the few players they probably watched. Heck, it might explain why his benching seemed to spur a mutiny that really led to Gruden's demise. They believe in him and admire him. So, even if he is just a productive player at this point and no longer great, he carries more value than his yardage. He's a guy who can help set the culture that Rivera is trying to set. 

• Like 1

Before all the play calling and deciding what type of running back Coach will use, he has stated he wants hard workers, leaders and people who want to be here.  Sound familiar?

:229:The Rook

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

AP is still awfully good anywhere on the field around the goal line/short yardage.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would Love miss another season? Did he re-injure himself? Haven't really seen any news on him in a long time.

• Like 1

Ap is a thomas Davis type person who will help set that culture in practice and with the younger ones. Besides...they threw to AP alot and did well. Idk why they say he cant catch 

I'd be interested in seeing a personal group of WRs: the Gandy-Man, McLaurin, & Harmon...RBs AP & Gibson...and then motioning AP out wide leaving Gibson as a single back.  I wonder (depending on the defensive call) who would follow AP out wide...and then what the Skins would do run/pass wise. Those WRs can block well (if they run) and Gibson could be a good match up in the pass game.

Most likely Roullier would would snap it at Haskins' ankles and the whole play would be ****ed up. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think it is important to have mentors on the field, gray beards, who can teach the pups the right way to train, practice, and be a pro. We had a bunch of those in the glory years. I remember every year hearing about some rookie in awe of how hard Art Monk or Darrell Green would practice. It set the right tone and set the right expectation. I think that is one of the invisible values that AP adds.

I suspect AP's reputation matters to the incoming players and first years. He's one of the few players they probably watched. Heck, it might explain why his benching seemed to spur a mutiny that really led to Gruden's demise. They believe in him and admire him. So, even if he is just a productive player at this point and no longer great, he carries more value than his yardage. He's a guy who can help set the culture that Rivera is trying to set. 

I’ll add that he is STILL great. AP has proven the last two years he is more than capable of churning out 1000+ yard seasons at a 4 yard plus average- the standard by which backs are measured. He still rips off big plays and shows the pile moving, change of direction and hop cut that made him great. He’s still the best pure RB we have and it isn’t close. I understand the spreading of defense that dual purpose backs bring but it’s not as if AP can’t block or break a big screen - we have certainly seen that. He had back to back 20+ yard runs then a screen last year. And he hasn’t missed a single game. I’ll be disappointed if we cut him to keep a guy like McKissic when we just drafted Gibson in the third round for that same role and have Sims. But I can’t see that happening. 

39 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

McLaurin, & Harmon...

I don't know why, but when you said the above I thought of a different famous duo... McLaurel and Hardy?

The enduring appeal of Laurel and Hardy takes one man back to his ...

1 minute ago, moondog said:

I’ll add that he is STILL great. AP has proven the last two years he is more than capable of churning out 1000+ yard seasons at a 4 yard plus average- the standard by which backs are measured. He still rips off big plays and shows the pile moving, change of direction and hop cut that made him great. He’s still the best pure RB we have and it isn’t close. I understand the spreading of defense that dual purpose backs bring but it’s not as if AP can’t block or break a big screen - we have certainly seen that. He had back to back 20+ yard runs then a screen last year. And he hasn’t missed a single game. I’ll be disappointed if we cut him to keep a guy like McKissic when we just drafted Gibson in the third round for that same role and have Sims. But I can’t see that happening. 

I'll add that if they knew they were going to get Gibson than I think there's a very strong chance that they don't sign McKissic. In fact, McKissic's days might be numbered before they start especially if Love also proves ready to go (who if I remember reports had really good speed, quickness, and hands)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

A couple of your points jump out to me initially:

- Barber is signed to a 2-year deal which to me is a huge red flag for AP. Remember, it was Guice who dominated RR's Panthers, not AP, and RR probably remembers that well.

Top 8 RB performances against the Panthers in 2019 up until Rivera was fired:

Derrius Guice - 129 yds, 12.9 ypc

Leonard Fournette - 108 yds, 4.7 ypc

Tevin Coleman - 105 yds, 9.5 ypc

Adrian Peterson - 99 yds, 7.6 ypc

Todd Gurley - 97 yds, 6.9 ypc

Aaron Jones - 93 yds, 7.2 ypc

Latavius Murray - 64 yds, 9.1 ypc

Peyton Barber - 82 yds, 3.6 ypc

I'd say they both dominated, and that Rivera noticed both equally. He also probably notice that only one of those RBs has remained healthy over the last two seasons.

Guice is a beast...he will learn to go down sooner to protect himself. He is our Marshawn Lynch. We all should seriously hope he figures out how to stay healthy because if he does the offense goes to a different level. If I'm not mistaken he has been hurt both times at the end of long runs where he keeps fighting for yards. If I'm a Cowboys fans I want no parts of seeing Guice on the field cause he is a beast when healthy. 

Guice could be the most productive RB in the league and our offense won't truly scare opposing defenses or even rival fans until our QB gives them a reason to be fearful. Plenty of stud RBs are on overall inefficient/unproductive offenses. Haskins (or his replacement) is the key to it all. A great running game is only one aspect of it. Hopefully we have it to make things easier on the QB though.

6 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Why would Love miss another season? Did he re-injure himself? Haven't really seen any news on him in a long time.

From the interview I saw with Love he's planning on being ready for this season....let's hope.

32 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Guice could be the most productive RB in the league and our offense won't truly scare opposing defenses or even rival fans until our QB gives them a reason to be fearful. Plenty of stud RBs are on overall inefficient/unproductive offenses. Haskins (or his replacement) is the key to it all. A great running game is only one aspect of it. Hopefully we have it to make things easier on the QB though.

OBTW, Guice won't turn 23 years old til June.....future should be bright for him, God willing.

• Like 1