Reaper Skins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it's teachable, then absolutely. I just wonder how much his primary gifts, talents, and skills are purely instinctive and therefore difficult to both teach as a coach, as well as acquire as a student/player.

I think it's got as much to do with teaching how to take a hit, how to read a defense pre-snap.  Break down film, RBs have to work in the smallest windows with essentially an intersection of 4 lane highways in front of them.  I agree that Instincts are an x factor, and someone like AP has them better than most humans on this earth in that regard.  I do think things are teachable, not expecting him to teach Bryce Love how to be AP, but if he can elevate the game AND be an active presence... we know he needs the money.  

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I predict Peterson gets cut right before the final 53.

I don’t know. There’s no way to tell if Guice or Love will sprain or tear something getting out of bed on any given morning.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I don’t know. There’s no way to tell if Guice or Love will sprain or tear something getting out of bed on any given morning.

That's the reason I say right before the 53

If all of our backs stay healthy, we just got too much future young talent to find a space for AP.

And I looooove AP.

Just looking totally objectively at the business side and the numbers side

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's the reason I say right before the 53

If all of our backs stay healthy, we just got too much future young talent to find a space for AP.

And I looooove AP.

Just looking totally objectively at the business side and the numbers side

Those backs will have to stay healthy and outperform AP for him not to make the final roster. I personally think AP has enough in the tank to earn that final spot and I think Ron will want that veteran to help teach those young guys.

The young rbs more likely to make the roster, are the ones Ron acquired this year in free agency and the draft.

Unless they really excel; both Love and Guice are likely gone before the season starts. AP may not make the final roster; but I don’t think it would be Love or Guice who knocks him out.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

Depending on if Gibson is an RB or a WR we either have six or seven RBs.  If it's six I have a hard time seeing someone like Peyton Barber or Josh Ferguson forcing AP off the roster

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Depending on if Gibson is an RB or a WR we either have six or seven RBs.  If it's six I have a hard time seeing someone like Peyton Barber or Josh Ferguson forcing AP off the roster

We have more spots this year right? On the roster. Not sure for what we want to use that. 

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

We have more spots this year right? On the roster. Not sure for what we want to use that. 

sure we can sign more people, but there's just seventh rounders and UDFA left from the draft

Our current backs on the roster are AP, Guice., Love, JD McKissic, Peyton Barber, Josh Ferguson and Gibson if he is a RB and not a WR

Why would we re-sign AP just to cut him? He will make the final 53. An amazing mentor to the younger guys if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Why would we re-sign AP just to cut him? He will make the final 53. An amazing mentor to the younger guys if nothing else. 

he wasn't a free agent this year.

6 minutes ago, carex said:

Oh okay, for some reason I recall seeing something about us bringing him back on a one year deal...but I see he had a two year deal.

Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career

If the Washington Redskins newest UDFA tight end Thaddeus Moss can make the roster this fall, he will put one member of the Redskins in a unique position.

Veteran running back Adrian Peterson will be able to say he’s then played in games with both Randy Moss and his son Thaddeus, during his historic career.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Oh okay, for some reason I recall seeing something about us bringing him back on a one year deal...but I see he had a two year deal.

You may be thinking of his first deal.

He started with a 1 year...then renewed with a 2 year

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, carex said:

Redskins declared him as a WR when they drafted him. (Brings up a question - is that a requirement for teams to do)?

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Redskins declared him as a WR when they drafted him. (Brings up a question - is that a requirement for teams to do)?

I would think, in regards to jersey numbers (even though there's no rush to get him a jersey number)

because I believe RB's and WR's have different limitations in their jersey #

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2020 at 10:20 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I predict Peterson gets cut right before the final 53.

Looks like ESPN has copied me and written a story on my prediction

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft#WSH

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29101985/32-nfl-players-most-likely-cut-traded-2020-nfl-draft#WSH

ESPN has made the same mistake many Redskins fans in this forum have made. - Identifying Gibson as a RB, even though he played WR in college and the Redskins themselves identify him as a WR. (Admittedly there isn't a WR receiver in the league built like him, but I'll go with how the Redskins id him on this one).

Edited by nonniey

14 minutes ago, nonniey said:

ESPN has made the same mistake many Redskins in this forum have made. - Identifying Gibson as a RB, even though he played WR in college and the Redskins themselves identify him as a WR. (Admittedly there isn't a WR receive in the league built like him, but I'll go with how the Redskins id him on this one).

Our offensive coordinator said Gibson will be used as a RB

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our offensive coordinator said Gibson will be used as a RB

Funny I'm pretty sure I heard  both Turner and RR say Gibson added substantial talent to the WR corps.  (Note Rivera did say he had the same skill set as McCaffrey and Kiem speculated that he'd use him at RB - but the org itself said he was a WR).

Edited by nonniey

On 4/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

You may be thinking of his first deal.

He started with a 1 year...then renewed with a 2 year

On 4/25/2020 at 7:39 PM, abdcskins said:

On 4/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, carex said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102396/article/redskins-pick-up-2020-option-on-rb-adrian-peterson

The second year (2020) was a team option that we picked up in February after Rivera was hired. 

"Adrian Peterson is the epitome of what it means to be a pro in this league," Redskins coach Ron Rivera said in a statement from the team. "Adrian's leadership and passion towards the game of football will set an example of what is expected of the players in this program moving forward."

Sounds like Rivera plans on AP being here to me. Pretty sure the free agent signings are more about competition in that weapon role and insurance for Guice than anything. I’m betting that AP makes the team and so does Guice if he’s healthy and IR if not. Guice is very talented - RR saw that first hand last year. And by all accounts he meets the expectations RR has as a person. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Funny I'm pretty sure I heard  both Turner and RR say Gibson added substantial talent to the WR corps.  (Note Rivera did say he had the same skill set as McCaffrey and Kiem speculated that he'd use him at RB - but the org itself said he was a WR).

Scott Turner's words a matter of hours ago was that Gibson was "absolutely a true RB"

He then referred to AGG as "the receiver"... singular. Meaning if Gibson was considered a receiver, he wouldn't have the singular term.

That's not to say that Gibson won't be moved around in the slot, etc but he stated that his primary position is RB

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Scott Turner's words a matter of hours ago was that Gibson was "absolutely a true RB"

He then referred to AGG as "the receiver"... singular. Meaning if Gibson was considered a receiver, he wouldn't have the singular term.

That's not to say that Gibson won't be moved around in the slot, etc but he stated that his primary position is RB

It comes down to how the team lists him on the depth chart. With his skill set and versatility, you can manipulate the depth chart and virtually create an extra roster spot.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

"Washington's backfield is a crowded mess, with Peterson joined by Derrius Guice, Bryce Love, Peyton Barber and third-round pick Antonio Gibson. "

Damn near every team's backfield is crowded right now, there's an abundance of players on every team trying to make the roster. And how could anyone knowledgeable about football call this a "mess"? You always bring in camp bodies...you always bring in players with potential to see them up close, if for no other reason you may need to call on them during the season if they're available.

"The rookie is the only lock to make the active roster, but I don't really see any reason for a rebuilding Washington team to stick with the 35-year-old Peterson."

How about durability?...That whole saying "the best ability is availability" seems to be tossed out the window in this guy's argument. Guice and Love have played in a grand total of 6 games out of a possible 48...AP has played in 31 out of 32 possible games, and the one game he missed was due to Gruden's dumb ass making him inactive for a game. Plus who the hell is gonna provide these young RBs the type of leadership and "buy-in" culture perspective Rivera has said is an absolute must for his team?

"Ownership seemed to keep Peterson on the roster last season, and he came in handy after Guice went down with an injury in Week 1"

"Came in handy"...that's like saying a life jacket came in handy after your boat sank lol...

"...but new coach Ron Rivera should have enough personnel power to make tough decisions."

From Rivera himself: “Adrian Peterson is the epitome of what it means to be a pro in this league. Adrian’s leadership and passion towards the game of football will set an example of what is expected of the players in this program moving forward...I think (keeping AP on the team) is going to resonate with our younger players and they’re going to see that this is how you do it,”

Yet this toehead claims only Snyder thinks AP has value and Rivera will be able to do what Snyder would not allow Gruden to do: cut AP. I can't help but think this viewpoint stems solely from Gruden making AP inactive last year in the season opener...like the coach didn't want AP on the team but Snyder forced him to keep Peterson anyway, so now there's a new coach with far more power and clout who can finally do what Gruden could not. If so, that's an amazingly lazy take. It doesn't even attempt to analyze what AP brought to the field and to the team during his time here, and completely ignores what Rivera himself has said.

And an extra:

Another sportswriter who commented on this write-up tried backing up the idea of AP being the most likely cut by making the claim that "The biggest argument for keeping AP around is loyalty"...  (https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/28/espn-places-ap-on-chopping-block/)

Loyalty. THAT'S the biggest argument, and not that he's a savvy, productive, and insanely dependable vet on a unit that has needs as many RBs with proven on-field production as it can get, and that the 2nd year QB they're trying to develop could benefit from having players he knows will be there game after game after game and who provide extra leadership on the field, during practice, and in RB meetings?...Nah, it's just "loyalty" that keeps AP in a uniform. Jeebus.

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

AP won't get cut.  He's more likely to start week 1.  People keeping falling back to the same argument, "he's an aging 35 year old running back".  Do people even watch the highlights? What he's done the past two years has been incredible.  The Redskins haven't had a good offense and he's still been able to shine through.  He's been playing with a sub-par, injured offensive line during his entire tenure here.  Not to mention a coach who couldn't commit to the run game.  Does anyone remember the Philadlephia game when he busted a 90 yard touchdown run before halftime after Mark Sanchez came in? He finished the game with 9 carries!  Ridiculous.  A healthy scratch week 1 in 2019. Ridiculous.  

He's still jump cutting, bursting through the line, running over people, and kicking it into another gear. 

He brings leadership and work ethic into the locker room.  He still commands respect from defenses.  He's a HOF player.   He's chasing records.  The fans love him.  There are many reasons not to cut him. 

We have lots of talented running backs? Great.  Let's run some two back sets.  There's a way to be creative here. 

Edited by CPAllTheWay012
  • Like 1