Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

Largely I think AP dictates whether AP makes this team. If he's still the player he's been the last two years, then he makes it. But if he slips, which you kind of expect at 35, then he may be gone. Frank Gore was 36 last season. He's probably the closest player to compare to Peterson in more recent times. You could go all the way back to Riggins, who was still pretty good at 35. But mediocre at 36 and then done. Virtually every other major RB was done by 35. It's rarefied air and you really can't expect anything for certain.

I get the feeling Barber was brought in as AP insurance. You really don't need both and Barber doesn't bring that much to the table other than depth. He's been in the league for a few years and has gotten carries. And is competent enough to fill-in. But he had a frigid free agent market, so teams aren't exactly knocking down the door for him. Barber's skillset is basically an inferior AP. But if AP slips, then maybe Barber ends up the better option.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One thing that could hurt AP is the switch to an outside zone heavy scheme.  He's mostly played in gap and man heavy schemes I think.  He might not fit as well in a new scheme.

He has one cut ability and innate vision. I think he will thrive. Probably best utilized in short yardage and goal line situations. I can also see him being our closer to protect the lead and milk the clock.

• 4 weeks later...

PFT: Adrian Peterson will “without a doubt” kneel during national anthem  

>>> We already have our first NFL player who isn’t prepared to go along with the advice of President Donald Trump. Washington running back Adrian Peterson said he definitely planned to kneel during the national anthem this year, following the protest cue of Colin Kaepernick, who knelt to protest police brutality and racial inequality.<<<

I wonder if Snyder will say cut him?

On 6/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

>>> We already have our first NFL player who isn’t prepared to go along with the advice of President Donald Trump. Washington running back Adrian Peterson said he definitely planned to kneel during the national anthem this year, following the protest cue of Colin Kaepernick, who knelt to protest police brutality and racial inequality.<<<

He's not alone! This will be league wide and Goodell will support their actions. And with all my love, respect and gratitude towards our flag and what it represents, I will too.

I'm listening!

I'm rooting for AP to start and have another 1000 yard season.  I want DC to be where AP passes Walter Payton to hit #2 on the all time rushing list. Easily my favorite Redskin since at least Gibbs 2

It really is weird though that this team now has 6 backs likely competing for 4 slots. My guess is that one guy gets cut (probably Barber) and one guy goes on PUP or IR with the idea of bringing them back midseason

2 hours ago, method man said:

I'm rooting for AP to start and have another 1000 yard season.  I want DC to be where AP passes Walter Payton to hit #2 on the all time rushing list. Easily my favorite Redskin since at least Gibbs 2

Might have to wait a while, Peterson needs about 2500 yards to catch Payton. If he's still on the team in 2022 I'd be impressed.

Wise to expect the things you know to repeat themselves.  Guys who have been injured often will have injuries.  Guys who regularly rush for 1000 yards will again rush towards those stats.  AP was resigned because he is always available to consistently produce similar results.  His results are pretty damn good!

Thinking AP will get cut is laughable nonsense.

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Wise to expect the things you know to repeat themselves. 

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Guys who regularly rush for 1000 yards will again rush towards those stats.

This is really not true in today's NFL, which is why AP's longevity has been so remarkable. I get what you were saying but I think you actually end up taking credit from his football accomplishments when you phrase it in a generality like this.

I'm not the world's biggest AP fan or anything, that just jumped out at me from your post. 

On 6/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

It's never been about the flag, the NFL, based on the Commish's statement, finally understands this.  There will be no repercussions to the players from the NFL or teams.  I am a retired USAF officer and have the utmost respect for our country, but the flag is just a symbol.  I have seen much more disrespectful actions taken to our flag over my years and was never offended by a knee taken peacefully in protest.

IMO, the main issue with the previous events were "workplace" issues.  While in uniform on the field you are an employee, does your boss (HC, Owner) have the authority to dictate behavior.  Based on the current environment and league position, I think this is a mute point.  I honestly expect every player, in the spirit of support, to take a knee this year.

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is really not true in today's NFL, which is why AP's longevity has been so remarkable. I get what you were saying but I think you actually end up taking credit from his football accomplishments when you phrase it in a generality like this.

I'm not the world's biggest AP fan or anything, that just jumped out at me from your post. 

Yeah guess I could be more specific.  AP tends to have consistent results. There are quiet a few guys that rush for 1k one year and then never get back in that ballpark.   I think everyone knows what to expect from AP until his wheels fall off.  His wheels are fine this year.  I'd speculate he has at least 2 good years in the tank. More so about my comment was Guise tending to be hurt as well. 

21 hours ago, Jericho said:

Might have to wait a while, Peterson needs about 2500 yards to catch Payton. If he's still on the team in 2022 I'd be impressed.

If a guy is going to continuously produce 600-1000 yards for you on close to minimum deals, why not keep him until the wheels fall apart entirely? 

3 hours ago, method man said:

If a guy is going to continuously produce 600-1000 yards for you on close to minimum deals, why not keep him until the wheels fall apart entirely? 

I don't disagree. Just don't think it will actually happen

19 hours ago, evmiii said:

It's never been about the flag, the NFL, based on the Commish's statement, finally understands this.  There will be no repercussions to the players from the NFL or teams.  I am a retired USAF officer and have the utmost respect for our country, but the flag is just a symbol.  I have seen much more disrespectful actions taken to our flag over my years and was never offended by a knee taken peacefully in protest.

IMO, the main issue with the previous events were "workplace" issues.  While in uniform on the field you are an employee, does your boss (HC, Owner) have the authority to dictate behavior.  Based on the current environment and league position, I think this is a mute point.  I honestly expect every player, in the spirit of support, to take a knee this year.

Thank you for your service to this Country evmiii. And thank you for speaking on this!

You nailed it. This has never been about the flag. Anyone complaining that it is a symbol of disrespect, take a look around you during the National Anthem at a sports event. Notice how many people are not removing their hats, talking, attention elsewhere, changing the words of the song, etc.

Compare that to Kaepernick and others peacefully kneeling as a voice to raise awareness for citizens of this Nation that cannot/will not be heard from a smaller stage.

The main issue from an NFL standpoint was and will always be sponsorship and viewership. That's it.

3 hours ago, method man said:

I love AP. AP with the Vikings was one of my all time favorite players. A force of nature type athlete like Sean Taylor, Megatron, Randy Moss, Mike Tyson. He’s not getting another 2500 yards here, even 600 at a time. It would take such monumental bad luck for the ‘Skins for that to happen. We’d have to lose Love and Guice again. And have injuries next year. I’d love to see it happen, but I just don’t see how it’s possible. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I love AP. AP with the Vikings was one of my all time favorite players. A force of nature type athlete like Sean Taylor, Megatron, Randy Moss, Mike Tyson. He’s not getting another 2500 yards here, even 600 at a time. It would take such monumental bad luck for the ‘Skins for that to happen. We’d have to lose Love and Guice again. And have injuries next year. I’d love to see it happen, but I just don’t see how it’s possible. 

There is a very real chance Love doesn’t make this team. The McKissic signing threatens his spot more than anyone else’s

3 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

Thank you for your service to this Country evmiii. And thank you for speaking on this!

You nailed it. This has never been about the flag. Anyone complaining that it is a symbol of disrespect, take a look around you during the National Anthem at a sports event. Notice how many people are not removing their hats, talking, attention elsewhere, changing the words of the song, etc.

Compare that to Kaepernick and others peacefully kneeling as a voice to raise awareness for citizens of this Nation that cannot/will not be heard from a smaller stage.

The main issue from an NFL standpoint was and will always be sponsorship and viewership. That's it.

Kaepernick was looking for attention,  knowing he would get the liberal "white guilt" approval. Kaepernick did not try to bring the police and black community together. None of these "bend the knee" athletes dare blame the failures of the black community. So from now on, any athlete that needs to "protest" is going to start kneeling? When does this nonsense end?

"The biggest enemy of the black community is a white liberal" Malcolm X 

1 hour ago, method man said:

There is a very real chance Love doesn’t make this team. The McKissic signing threatens his spot more than anyone else’s

I don’t think Love’s imagined role overlaps much with McKissic’s. Love is a slightly smaller, super explosive traditional running back. In college, he wasn’t an elite deceiving back. 

I think Love would more be splitting reps with AP and Guice and McKissic with Antonio Gibson. 

Archived