Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Aretha

Spaceman Spiff

I was supposed to be a child of the 80's/90's but my father played 50's and 60's music non stop when I was a kid, so I knew far more about those decades than my own for the longest time.  As much as I enjoyed a lot of what Motown had to offer, Aretha Franklin never grew on me, not for awhile. I appreciated her more as time went by.

Because of all this exposure to older music, my favorite female artist has always been Carole King.  I flat out loved her music and songs.  And while I had grown to appreciate Aretha Franklin by this point, the Kennedy Center honoring of Carole King, when Aretha knocked Natural Woman out of the park, reminded me that I was very, very wrong about her initially.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, Forehead said:

I was supposed to be a child of the 80's/90's but my father played 50's and 60's music non stop when I was a kid, so I knew far more about those decades than my own for the longest time.  As much as I enjoyed a lot of what Motown had to offer, Aretha Franklin never grew on me, not for awhile. I appreciated her more as time went by.

Because of all this exposure to older music, my favorite female artist has always been Carole King.  I flat out loved her music and songs.  And while I had grown to appreciate Aretha Franklin by this point, the Kennedy Center honoring of Carole King, when Aretha knocked Natural Woman out of the park, reminded me that I was very, very wrong about her initially.

Caught this show in NYC a couple years back and it was fantastic.  You should check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful:_The_Carole_King_Musical

• 2 weeks later...

Archived