Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Aretha

Spaceman Spiff

man, i still tear up when they play her singing natural woman at the kennedy center in 2015 (below)

lady was also a helluva piano player, no ****

carole king was talking about the experience of growing up a little jewish girl  back then loving r&b and then getting to co-write that song with the queen

she talked  about how surprised (you can see that and the joyous excitement in her expressions) she was that night at the awards when aretha sat down at the piano (rare for a number of years) and she turned to her daughter and said "omg she's going to play tonight"

later aretha told her she was signing it 'to her"

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

man, i still tear up when they play her singing natural woman at the kennedy center in 2015 (below)

lady was also a helluva piano player, no ****

carole king was talking about the experience of growing up a little jewish girl  back then loving r&b and then getting to co-write that song with the queen

she talked  about how surprised (you can see that and the joyous excitement in her expressions) she was that night at the awards when aretha sat down at the piano (rare for a number of years) and she turned to her daughter and said "omg she's going to play tonight"

later aretha told her she was signing it 'to her"

testament to her legend that she was the best for so damn long. To keep that much power and control late into her career is not normal.

my favorite moment of hers might be filling in for Pavarotti on 2 hours notice and nailing Nessun Dorma at the Grammy's

59 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I was just about to post the same video.  Great minds and all that. 

She lived a big loud long life, and lived it well.  She was both blessed and a blessing.   

Aretha Franklin: A Legacy in Music

Smokey Robinson, her friend and neighbor in Detroit, once said, “Aretha came out of this world, but she also came out of another, far-off magical world none of us really understood. . . . She came from a distant musical planet where children are born with their gifts fully formed.” Etta James once recalled listening to Franklin’s version of Johnny Mercer and Hoagy Carmichael’s standard “Skylark.” In the second verse, Franklin jumps an octave. “I had to scratch my head and ask myself, How the **** did that **** do that? I remember running into Sarah Vaughan, who always intimidated me. Sarah said, ‘Have you heard of this Aretha Franklin girl?’ I said, ‘You heard her do ‘Skylark,’ didn’t you?’ Sarah said, ‘Yes, I did, and I’m never singing that song again.’ ”

Archived