Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No More Starters in Preseason???

Renegade7

Should Redskins stop playing starters in Preseason going forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Redskins stop playing their starters in Preseason going forward???

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK yet, but what happened to Guice is BS!!!

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

There's no law saying that, and yes, thank you for pointing out that this is just about starters, I put that in title and OP and some people still don't get it.  Saying I'm overreacting then reacting by overreacting is getting us nowhere.

This is a big picture discussion that I don't understand why you keep wanting to bring back to jus what happened to Guice or which starters we played against the patriots.  This is not a how could we have saved Guice thread, I don't know if we could have, and ive already said that.

This is a here are the risks is it worth it thread, and my answer is it isnt. 

I think you didn't get my big picture. Guice was just an example and not the be all. Okay so some don't like just 2 games pre-season. That is fine. Make it 18 games season instead. Get rid of the pre-season all together. Problem solved.  

On 8/11/2018 at 7:19 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

You want to add another game?  Get outta here. 

Continue reading. The first 3 games will be organized scrimmages. Limited hitting especially on the qbs. Open to the public at night, plus televised with on site interviews, etc.. 

The preparation needed to evaluate and make decisions on 53-man rosters seems fine with 4 pre-season games.  However, when you've got guys banged up and coaches are forced to play core players in meaningless practice games where other players are giving 110% to try and make the roster, that's not cool. That appears to the case with Ioa being on the field when he got hurt.  There's got to be a better balancing act to not expose core players in unnecessary playing time. If that means 3 pre-season games then fine. Might even be able to get better results from downgrading 2 pre-season games to something along the lines of organized scrimmages where they can still sell some tickets and trinkets.

6 hours ago, Vanguard said:

3 games maybe 2 

Yeah maybe like 2 organized scrimmages where you've got refs and structured possessions...and sell tickets to it and hold it in a stadium, fine.  2-Pre-seaon games should be enough. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I take a slightly more cautious approach, and say we withhold the starters throughout the whole regular season, as well.

Hardy har. This convo will be back one day and I hope it's not for reason I think it will.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, zskins said:

I think you didn't get my big picture. Guice was just an example and not the be all. Okay so some don't like just 2 games pre-season. That is fine. Make it 18 games season instead. Get rid of the pre-season all together. Problem solved.  

Only way I support that is expanded camp so backups get fair shot and teams allowed to have multiple scrimmages with other teams.  NFL limits teams to one joint scrimmage per year, yet another thing that traps coaches to playing certain players in preseason more then they want to.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah maybe like 2 organized scrimmages where you've got refs and structured possessions...and sell tickets to it and hold it in a stadium, fine.  2-Pre-seaon games should be enough. 

I can get behind this.  Your point on Ionnidas being out there is good one.  How many people are on the roster right now?

Kerrigan had a good interview yesterday where he shed some light on the value of joint practices and mentioned how he didn't view 4 preseason games as ideal.  I like what he said and felt like he reiterated how I viewed the question. 

As far as fighting goes, really??? They're all in full pads.  Unless someone pulls out a shank it's just a non-story. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I can get behind this.  Your point on Ionnidas being out there is good one.  How many people are on the roster right now?

I think coach said something in the post game about Ioa being out there only because they were thin on the line.  Not sure who all was banged up and couldn't go.  Yeah man I think that's the quandary coaches end up getting into with the 4 games. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:30 AM, Renegade7 said:

Absolutely....

89 if I'm not mistaken... since the Scandrick cut.  

I've actually heard, more than once, people within the team feel like the joint practices are actually better for the guys than the preseason games.  Controlled environment, but still live fire drills vs another guy fighting for a job.  I would love to see us have 2 open scrimmages.... I want to say we USED to have one vs Baltimore almost every year the week before the preseason game.  Always held at a stadium and open to the public, and was regularly televised on comcast sportsnet.  

http://www.thesportsfannetwork.com/posts/226-redskins-ravens-scrimmage-schedule/

Here is a posted schedule from 2005.

Video from 2007

I actually enjoyed watching these scrimmages, seeing what different guys can do working with the 1st team, but not the situation where injury is AS big of a risk  

Now that dust has settled on this thread, still believe its going to take an extension of camp via players and NFLPA to be able move in that direction.  I like the scrimmages, too, as do a lot of players and coaches, we're just stuck with what we got for now, which I've said my piece on.

Archived