Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No More Starters in Preseason???

Renegade7

Should Redskins stop playing starters in Preseason going forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Redskins stop playing their starters in Preseason going forward???

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK yet, but what happened to Guice is BS!!!

I've had enough of this, whatever "getting ready" we get out of this never seems to be worth.  Guice didn't have to prove anything to make the roster, our season would be over if we lost Alex Smith.  I could see it in camp and in this game, being more physical in camp showed a team that to me was already ready for week 1 in the first preseason game. 

Only people that should be playing are those that are on the bubble fighting for roster spots, even if it's the 4th preseason game 4 times in already row. Id rather be rusty the first week or two then risk our entire season in f'n August.  And NFL wants to fine us, F them, eat it and say it's not worth it.

My only concern would be scrubs getting overwhelmed by 2nd stringers like what happened against the pats, impossible to analyze that.  Or is it?  I mean, if they are going to be on the field, they will be going against 1st and 2nd stringers anyway, right?

Emotions are high on this one after Guice, so if you need a minute to think this through first, do so, but my vote is already in.

NOT WORTH IT!!!

Edit: I believe it should only be 2 preseason games, but that's a separate discussion (that should go hand and hand with this one if done league wide)

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

They will just get hurt in training camp when one guy inevitably steps on anothers foot or falls on his shoulder.

Far less physical, though.  Won't stop the snake-bitten thing, but I'm so down on our training staff that I was joking in RTT but now I'm serious about sending Guice to some other teams training staff.  Orakpo hasn't missed a game since joining the Titans, it's rediculous.

This was my initial reaction... sit them all... but you can’t play scared; considering they don’t go full speed in practice (at least with hitting/tackling) anymore there is value in getting some live reps... The last 12 months have been off the charts in terms of injury luck, but it probably is just that— bad luck. It has to turn eventually. Right? Right? 

15 minutes ago, kleese said:

This was my initial reaction... sit them all... but you can’t play scared; considering they don’t go full speed in practice (at least with hitting/tackling) anymore there is value in getting some live reps... The last 12 months have been off the charts in terms of injury luck, but it probably is just that— bad luck. It has to turn eventually. Right? Right? 

I don't think it's about playing scared anymore the game is so physical that they are getting hit full-speed whether the game matters or not.  I'd like to hear the opinion of the coaches, most starters say they don't need or want it anymore. Always about the young pups wanting to hit somebody new, vets been there, done that.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I've had enough of this, whatever "getting ready" we get out of this never seems to be worth.  Guice didn't have to prove anything to make the roster, our season would be over if we lost Alex Smith.  I could see it in camp and in this game, being more physical in camp showed a team that to me was already ready for week 1 in the first preseason game. 

Only people that should be playing are those that are on the bubble fighting for roster spots, even if it's the 4th preseason game 4 times in already row. Id rather be rusty the first week or two then risk our entire season in f'n August.  And NFL wants to fine us, F them, eat it and say it's not worth it.

My only concern would be scrubs getting overwhelmed by 2nd stringers like what happened against the pats, impossible to analyze that.  Or is it?  I mean, if they are going to be on the field, they will be going against 1st and 2nd stringers anyway, right?

Emotions are high on this one after Guice, so if you need a minute to think this through first, do so, but my vote is already in.

NOT WORTH IT!!!

Edit: I believe it should only be 2 preseason games, but that's a separate discussion (that should go hand and hand with this one if done league wide)

I accidentally voted yes.  I think the pre-season games should be shorted to two games, three tops with the third being the competition for final spots.  But the starters should play some unless already banged up.  Because all of the other 31 teams are going to play most of their starters and not playing ours doesn't guarantee they wont start going down in week 1 or week 2 of the regular season. 

Not to mention, at the beginning of the season they will be rusty where all the other teams starters will have started to knock off most of their rust and start clicking.  Injuries, including season ending ones happen in training camp and practices, regular season games, at home in the off-season, etc.  It's just part of football.  Extremely frustrating for us Redskins fans as it seems like every year we catch the injury bug at some point.  

Whats the difference if he gets hurt now or in game 2 of the regular season, people act as if you make it to the regular season you're safe.  Most likely these injuries were a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.  The data on Guice's knee is out there, we're probably gonna find out he should have had some work done after the injury at LSU.

It's a freak incident and putting him in a safe space for the entire preseason doesn't sound like the answer.

Not even close to sit starters all preseason.

Guys need to play.

Guys needs to train.

And they need to do it hard, all day long.

If you're not used to hits and violent tackles during training, then it'll be even worse during games when guys on the other side of the ball are looking to kill ya.

Injuries are part of the game.Part of the sport. Every sports.

Training in shorts and shirts doesn't help at all either.

If we don't play the starters in preseason we'll start the regular season ~2 weeks behind all other teams.

Teams have limited practices opportunities, so the preseason is a necessary evil. I'm all for the entire league making it only 3 or 2 preseason games, but I'm dead against only our team preparing less. 

That would also divide the locker room. Backups would be playing actually more just to secure their...... backup jobs. 

How many of yall rattling off the same well be behind line actually went to camp this year or heard that it was more physical that gruden put an emphasis on that? 

Considering how much time starters play in the entire season, what are talking about, being one game behind?  The players don't need the preseason, they need a better training camp, players have behind saying that for years.

Everybody is rusty week 1 anyway, what are really talking about here when it's a 16 game season?

6 hours ago, Unbias said:

That would also divide the locker room. Backups would be playing actually more just to secure their...... backup jobs. 

Kidding, right?  That's pretty much the point of the preseason, to decide who to cut.  Why are we playing people we know we won't cut?  

The truth is going to come out that the concern, even, if small on his knee was legit. That why they kept saying to ignore Guice season last year. But that not the only player we lost or almost lost.  What's it going to take?  They are taking a chance at a freak accident and extra 2-3 games a year, is it really worth it?  We seem to think it's more important then the players do.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

The Redskins didn't play any starters (officially) last night.

How did that work out?

Players are going to get hurt. It's just a saf fact in football.

Are yall proofreading your posts before you click submit?  Ionnidas is a starter, he played, we almost lost him.  Guice is a starter, he played, he DID lose him.  Not many stars played, but some starters definetly did (officially).  Jus because that's the way we been doing it doesn't mean that's the way we have to do it going forward.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Are yall proofreading your posts before you click submit?  Ionnidas is a starter, he played, we almost lost him.  Guice is a starter, he played, he DID lose him.  Not many stars played, but some starters definetly did (officially).  Jus because that's the way we been doing it doesn't mean that's the way we have to do it going forward.

We don't know what these players would've done this season.

Ionnidas was part of a rotation last season, and Guice is a rookie.

If the Redskins had not played these guys in the preseason and then they struggled during the regular season, you would be screaming that the players weren't made ready.

All I read before training camp started was how Gruden's practices were too soft. He needed to be tougher and the players needed more playing time in the preseason to get ready.

Now so many have the NERVE to act like they were advocating the complete 180 of that, and that the players should sit.

Please spare me the melodrama, and the hypocrisy. Injuries happen.

13 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

We don't know what these players would've done this season.

Ionnidas was part of a rotation last season, and Guice is a rookie.

If the Redskins had not played these guys in the preseason and then they struggled during the regular season, you would be screaming that the players weren't made ready.

All I read before training camp started was how Gruden's practices were too soft. He needed to be tougher and the players needed more playing time in the preseason to get ready.

Now so many have the NERVE to act like they were advocating the complete 180 of that, and that the players should sit.

Please spare me the melodrama, and the hypocrisy. Injuries happen.

Nonsense, you don't know me, I thought this risk through and k ow that would get thrown in my face if we did look rusty into like week 3 or 4.  Ionnidas is the expected starter at DE opposite Allen, he was not jus another rotational player. Him and Guice are starters, I could see that clearly at FA day.

I want a hard camp (which they did) and no starters in preseason (which I want), that's what I started this thread with and that what I'm sticking with.  I don't care if you can't separate the two, but I can.  And I didn't see anything about starters playing more into preseason, nor did I see Alex Smith on the field, so where ever you got that from, they didn't do it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nonsense, you don't know me, I thought this risk through and k ow that would get thrown in my face if we did look rusty into like week 3 or 4.  Ionnidas is the expected starter at DE opposite Allen, he was not jus another rotational player. Him and Guice are starters, I could see that clearly at FA day.

I want a hard camp (which they did) and no starters in preseason (which I want), that's what I started this thread with and that what I'm sticking with.  I don't care if you can't separate the two, but I can.  And I didn't see anything about starters playing more into preseason, nor did I see Alex Smith on the field, so where ever you got that from, they didn't do it.

Ah bull.

Many were ****ing here, saying Gruden kept losing the first game of the season because he wasn't giving the players enough time in the preseason.

Now because of this injury, everyone is changing their tune. I guess they have to so they can keep up the mantra of blaming the Redskins, blaming Snyder, and blaming Fed Ex Field for everything (even though the team didn't even play at Fed Ex Field last night).

5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Ah bull.

Many were ****ing here, saying Gruden kept losing the first game of the season because he wasn't giving the players enough time in the preseason.

Now because of this injury, everyone is changing their tune. I guess they have to so they can keep up the mantra of blaming the Redskins, blaming Snyder, and blaming Fed Ex Field for everything (even though the team didn't even play at Fed Ex Field last night).

What the fans say and players say are two different things.  That's not rocket science, you arent reading what im posting you're reading past it because you dont agree. Congratulations, your now Tailgate certified.

As for fans here and in general, the request to shrink the preseason has been going back years, far more so then wanting to play them more.  Which would you choose?  Shorter preseason or play starters more? 

Wentz likely wont play a game this preseason despite being medically cleared, is Bell skipping preseason again?  I'd argue a better camp is more important then running a vanilla scheme for what a total of 4 quarters out of 3-4 games?  Again, are we really saying because they miss one game they'll be completely out of whack for 2-3 of them? 

What I want as a fan on this issue does not matter if most of the veterans do not want to play in preseason.  They whine about it every year, do you really think they'd be so resistant to it if they felt they needed it?

Get out your box, we're out the box here.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Get out your box, we're out the box here.

Whatever the hell this means. :rolleyes::ols:

Hypocrit away if you want to. The simple fact is Guice's injury could've happened at anytime. The OTAs, mini-camp, in training camp, the preseason, the regular season, or going out to get a pizza.

He had a knee problem at LSU. Injuries just happen sometimes. It's no one's fault. 

Or no situations fault.

8 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Whatever the hell this means. :rolleyes::ols:

Hypocrit away if you want to. The simple fact is Guice's injury could've happened at anytime. The OTAs, mini-camp, in training camp, the preseason, the regular season, or going out to get a pizza.

He had a knee problem at LSU. Injuries just happen sometimes. It's no one's fault. 

Or no situations fault.

It means you want to keep doing the same thing over and over again instead of having a legit discussion about this.  Again, you don't know me, I get an endless amount of crap for defending Snyder, so stop acting like you know me or how I've been posting for 15 years now.  

The injury didn't happen at anytime, it happened in the preseason.  For all  yall saying it coulda happened in week 2 or something, good, he might of helped us win a game or two that actually mattered then, that point matters.

Did yall forget NFL was seriously considering shrinking preseason down to two games and grow regular season to 18?  This conversation isn't brand new, I'm not overreacting, I'm done, there's a difference.

Injured getting a pizza, are you listening to yourself?  This isn't working, I'm not the only one that feels that way. Stop cracking jokes and be serious for and second, because I am.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Injured getting a pizza, are you listening to yourself?  This isn't working, I'm not the only one that feels that way. Stop cracking jokes and be serious for and second, because I am.

You're being ridiculous is what you are being.

Do you hear yourself? Cancel preseason? Shrink it? :ols:

What if Guice got hurt in training camp? Should the Redskins cancel training camp? What if he got hurt in the weight room? Should they remove it from Redskins park? 

Your reasoning is nonsense and only deserves jokes. And yes, Guice could get hurt going out for a pizza. All he has to do is get in a car, there's a traffic accident. The boom. He's hurt.

Players can get hurt anywhere at anytime. You can't cancel all offseason work and you can't wrap the players in bubble wrap.

The fact that fans here are now claiming wanting that when they carried on for four years about how Coach Gruden kept losing the first game of the season because he didn't have the players ready because he wasn't playing them enough in the preseason is what is staggering to me.

Very quick about face. :)

Archived