Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To the mattresses!

Spaceman Spiff

I have pretty bad back issues. Did some research and got a memory foam mattress thru Sam's club online- might have been night therapy brand? It was close to 800 bucks. 

Its been great for me. Had it about 5 years and it is starting to show signs of wear. I rotated it 90 degrees cuz it's a king and it fits, but other than that, I love it. Whenever I sleep on a mattress that isn't mine I wake up with pain. 

Good thing is they allegedly have a great warranty. I can apparently return it any time for refund or replacement, though I have yet to test this policy out. 

We bought a tuft and needle and havent looked back.  Homestly not sure how mattress stores are still in business... and i think the answer is theyre basically not anymore.  Theres those that have gone out and those that are on their way

Anyway you can get sucked into the wormhole of which online mattress is better but I think youll be okay no matter which you choose.

My honey wanted to try a sleep number bed.  I couldn't stand it the first two weeks but now I swear I can't sleep in a regular bed.  It's adjustable so you can make it as soft or stiff as you want.  Good news - I tried all of their models and the cheapest one felt just as good on my bad back as the most expensive one. 

+1 on Tuft and Needle. Had ours for 3+ years and love it. 

Save yourself some money and go with their original offering rather than the new one (Mint). Queen for $595.

The Mint one is $895 for a queen and is supposed to be an improved version of their original. I haven’t experienced the Mint version but I can say definitively that the original is a damn good mattress. Especially if you’re looking for something on the firmer side. 

33 minutes ago, zoony said:

We bought a tuft and needle and havent looked back.  Homestly not sure how mattress stores are still in business... and i think the answer is theyre basically not anymore.  Theres those that have gone out and those that are on their way

Anyway you can get sucked into the wormhole of which online mattress is better but I think youll be okay no matter which you choose.

The experience of going to brick-and-mortar mattress store is kinda like buying a new car from a traditional dealership.  The sales pressure is high, you don't really know if the price you're getting is good, and you have a vague, nagging feeling you're being ripped off.  But you do get to lay down on mattresses. 

Spiffy, as you are well aware, I have some back problems.  We have a nice memory-foam mattress from Mattress Warehouse or some such brick and mortar place.  My understanding is that the best time to buy a mattress is Memorial Day weekend.

https://www.sleepadvisor.org/best-time-buy-mattress/

Best Month to Buy a New Bed

May is the Best

May is truly the best month to purchase your mattress, and the reason for that is fairly simple. The industry, as a whole, usually rolls out the new products in June and they are hot throughout September.

So, when May comes, the companies want to clean out their older models. This is something convenient, and if you follow this pattern, you might truly get some good deals which would substantially discount the price of the bed. Keep this in mind.

American Holidays

The weekend of Memorial Day might as well be the best time to get your mattress. This is because it combines two discounting factors – the month of May, as we’ve already established, as well as the holiday weekends.

At the same time, national holidays such as Labor Day, Fourth of July, President’s Day and others of the kind, tend to be particularly good times to purchase your mattress as retailers tend to have rather good deals. You might even get a good deal on Martin Luther King Day and the weekend.

44 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

My honey wanted to try a sleep number bed.  I couldn't stand it the first two weeks but now I swear I can't sleep in a regular bed.  It's adjustable so you can make it as soft or stiff as you want.  Good news - I tried all of their models and the cheapest one felt just as good on my bad back as the most expensive one. 

Which one did you get?  My wife thinks she wants one

47 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

One sound piece of advice I did get from a mattress salesman, though, that stuck with me is this:  You spend literally one-third of your entire life on that rectangle, so don't scrimp.

That's exactly what a mattress salesman would say...

3 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

We didn't buy a memory foam mattress this past time (3 years ago) because of the smell (off gassing) of the foam. What do you all think of that aspect?

It's only toxic to 13.7% of humans (and only lethal to less than 5%) so the odds are in your favor.

I sleep better on foam, which is purely preference not a statement on quality.  You have to decide which is best for you.  As for off gassing, ours smelled weird for a day or two, but after that there was no smell at all.  I think it's largely the adhesive used to bond the foam layers that produces the smell.  I could be wrong, but that's what it smells like to me. 

9 hours ago, bearrock said:

If you buy a mattress online, will they haul the old one away?  We have a king tempurpedic.  If I have to haul that to the curb, I'll probably need back surgery:ols:

That's another thing, if it's a decent quality foam mattress... it's likely going to be very heavy.  I rotate mine regularly and it's a wrestling match. 

Archived