Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

• 3 weeks later...

National Signing Day is a televised event akin to the NFL draft.

Clemson has three offensive assistants making $1 million a year.

Student-Athletes are amateurs.

One of these kids is doing his own thing. One of these kids just isn't the same. Which one of the kids is doing his own thing? Now, it's time to play our game. It's time to play our game.

Like, what if Gus Malzahn got tired of constantly being on the hot seat at Auburn despite everything he achieved and an AAF team came calling and said "we'll double your salary"?

Or what if it was an up and comer who made the jump from mid major or second/third tier power five coach or starry assistant to AAF as a bridge to the NFL in order to skip the traditional rat race and arduous process of building a middle of the road program in the ACC?

What if it was someone like Art Briles?

Or, heaven forbid, Urban Meyer?

Does the NCAA start freaking out then?  Would that push them to make major changes in the student-athlete paradigm?

After I read your first post, my first thought was Art Briles.  High powered offense, some character issues holding him back, I could see him going to a league sorely in need of some name recognition.  I don't think that would be a shots-fired moment though, he's fallen from grace.  

I would have said Greg Schiano, but it looks like he's working his way back up the NFL coaching ranks again and just took a plum job.  

Kliff Kingsbury if he washes out in AZ. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Ugh, too depressing to watch Signing Day given how the season unraveled.

As for the AAF, I'd be interested if some top picks think a bit on the AAF,  maybe some taking a stance against the NFL on whatever,  and making that league legit.

I have no idea how XFL figures into this.

I think it's pretty obvious that the AAF is backed in some way by the NFL. I mean, CBS Sports and ESPN - the NFL's partners - are treating this like a real sport worthy of respect.

So, if there are now something like 40 teams with NFL quality talent on them, I don't know where that leaves the XFL in terms of talent.

The XFL will basically be offering you the 160th best QB in America when you tune in.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wonder if the AAF can pick off a high quality NCAA coach, and who it would be.

That would be a shots fired moment.

We are probably five years away from that, but I'm stunned at the backing that apparently is behind this. I thought CBS was going to treat it like absolute filler, but it's giving it the full platform treatment.

If it grows into a legit minor league, which I'm beginning to think is really possible, I think it will eventually have it's Howard Schnellenberger moment. But I think it won't be an SEC coach. It will be a Neal Brown type. Going from a non-power conference immediately to a pro job.

Archived