Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

50 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. 

People fixate that Dabo is "fun" but even the announcers were quick to say "He's fun but also demanding". The reports of Saban's demise are greatly exaggerated. They've both built consistent championship-caliber teams through culture. 

The Redskins perpetually underachieve because the culture of the franchise is what it is. It's designed to extract the most amount of money from suckers fans and play football on the side. 

Yeah I highly doubt Dabo is easy on them.  But anyone who thinks Saban doesn’t care about his kids hasn’t followed their QB situation.  He constantly tried to give both of them attention despite one being clearly better than the other simply out of appreciation for what the other did in his early years. He gets heated when you target his players or try to bait him into putting one down. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Trying to think about it but I don't think I've ever seen a true freshman that adept as a passer.

I mean, this was NICK SABAN. Ghengis Khan. Napolean. The Reapers. Kid didn't blink.

As an ACC guy that is impressive, yet mightily unfortunate

Lorenz is ridic. First time I've seen him. He was making some big boy throws. Balls in the air before the receiver is looking. Stands in there when he's gonna get hit. I was really impressed.

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Lorenz is ridic. First time I've seen him. He was making some big boy throws. Balls in the air before the receiver is looking. Stands in there when he's gonna get hit. I was really impressed.

Not first time, but figured the moment would be too big for him. Didn't seem to give a **** lol

12 hours ago, clietas said:

Prolly getting closer ta the time Saban gets forced out for Dabos glorious return home. 🤔

We need to revisit this.

Shame on any Alabama fan who has thought this for even a second.  Saban has earned at least fifteen years of disappointing emeritus coaching before anyone can think about trundling him off into retirement.  That is the price you pay for five national championships.

Sounds to me like there is a program that needs two or three decades in the wilderness in order to appreciate what they have.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

In the previous three seasons, they had two #1 ranked defenses and a #2.  This is well after Cam and Manziel came to town.  I also don't think the level of offense in the SEC is any worse than in other conferences.  The SEC has been loaded with blue chippers on that side of the ball for a while, it's not 2004 any more.  And I have seen plenty of god awful Big 10 and ACC offense to know that it's everywhere.

I didn't mean to imply they weren't or hadn't been great Just that with the spread offenses and better QBs coming to the SEC we've seen their D gashed a lot more recently in some big spots than we were used to seeing previously. Urban left right as Bama was rising so we didn't get that clash. 

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Yeah I highly doubt Dabo is easy on them.  But anyone who thinks Saban doesn’t care about his kids hasn’t followed their QB situation.  He constantly tried to give both of them attention despite one being clearly better than the other simply out of appreciation for what the other did in his early years. He gets heated when you target his players or try to bait him into putting one down. 

Nobody said Dabo is easy on them but you are fluffing Saban quite a bit. He is often an asshole to the media and others when he has no right to be. He's the best though so we allow him to do it same with BB and Pop. 

I don't think anybody said he didn't care about his kids either but he has done some shady things in the pursuit of winning and comes across like an asshole even to his players on the sidelines during games etc. 

Here is where you all throw rotten vegetables at me.

I am 1000 percent on board with seeing this game again next year. My first memory of college football were those absolutely loaded Pitt teams under Jackie Sherrill that for reasons that relate entirely to Jackie Sherrill never won anything. My fondest wish as a sports fan for a return to the SWC and for everyone to start blatantly cheating again. I watch that 30 for 30 on the Hurricanes once a year, because I like teams where everyone is simultaneously a world class athlete and a felon.

And last night was the most awe-inspiring array of talent I've ever seen in a college game. I'm not one of those idiots that things a college team could beat a pro team. But if you combine those two teams and give them three years to marinate, I think that would be a pretty great pro team.

I really need help here, but can someone give me an example of anything like a Lawrence v. Tua rivalry next year? Have we ever had Heisman-level QBs who both have a national title be on a collision course for a national title again? I assume that Tua is going to go live in the LA gym from Rocky III for the next 9 months, right?

Honest to god, if some team like Virginia ****s this up next year by beating Clemson, I'm going to punch a baby.

(By the way, Dabo scares the hell out of me. Someone that religious who gets young adults to follow him that fervently is secretly killing hobos. You can't tell me otherwise).

18 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I am 1000 percent on board with seeing this game again next year. My first memory of college football were those absolutely loaded Pitt teams under Jackie Sherrill that for reasons that relate entirely to Jackie Sherrill never won anything. My fondest wish as a sports fan for a return to the SWC and for everyone to start blatantly cheating again. I watch that 30 for 30 on the Hurricanes once a year, because I like teams where everyone is simultaneously a world class athlete and a felon.

And last night was the most awe-inspiring array of talent I've ever seen in a college game. I'm not one of those idiots that things a college team could beat a pro team. But if you combine those two teams and give them three years to marinate, I think that would be a pretty great pro team.

I really need help here, but can someone give me an example of anything like a Lawrence v. Tua rivalry next year? Have we ever had Heisman-level QBs who both have a national title be on a collision course for a national title again? I assume that Tua is going to go live in the LA gym from Rocky III for the next 9 months, right?

Honest to god, if some team like Virginia ****s this up next year by beating Clemson, I'm going to punch a baby.

(By the way, Dabo scares the hell out of me. Someone that religious who gets young adults to follow him that fervently is secretly killing hobos. You can't tell me otherwise).

Just curious...

...have you ever seeken professional help for your issues?

18 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

😂.  You're from West Virginia, how can you be this booshie?  Did you never go to church or have a fun middle school PE teacher?

Never move to South Carolina.  Dabo is upstate South Carolina.  The white part anyway.  It's making me laugh thinking about you living there.

The land of nice trucks and Hunter Renfros.

19 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I am 1000 percent on board with seeing this game again next year.

I love seeing greatness. Somebody that is a true rival to Bama that is loaded with talent and exciting, especially from another conference? Sign me up. I just have always hated Bama. Their dominance and the benefit of the doubt they constantly receive is annoying. They have two national titles that I don't think they should have even been in the game to begin with in the rematch with LSU and the getting into the CFP while finishing 3rd in their conference a couple years ago. 

It is what it is though so I am happy to see these two juggernauts clash again. 

I do think it's hilarious that Bama finally has a great offense and an NFL caliber QB and they just happened to get those things right at the rise of a beastly Clemson program that can be their equal and keep them from a few titles they otherwise would have claimed easily. 

I'm not seeing a ton of "If Clemson can do it, why not us?" takes these days. Which is weird.

Yes, Clemson was often good in the past, and it did have that one rando "national title" - just like Pitt, BYU, Washington, and Georgia Tech. But it's best case scenario for pretty much all of its history was a New Years Bowl every few years.

This is first program to make this incredible leap forward since Schnellenberger and Miami. And it seems pretty sustainable since all the offensive stars are back from a 15-0 team and 5-star recruits are in the pipeline.

So why is no one else trying to copy this? Everyone tried to copy Miami with the simple idea of "Florida is really good, and we need to go into some dangerous neighborhoods to find players who may actually be future felons." Bill McCartney looked at Miami and decided that bringing actual Crips to Boulder was a good idea. And it damn near worked. Good for him!

But I'm not seeing any attempt to copy Clemson? Is it because it's so specific to one personality? Is the idea that Dabo is a weird combination of Joel Osteen, Bear Bryant, and Tony Robbins and any attempt to copy him is going to end in failure.

What actually is the Clemson philosophy anyway? It can't just be "let's all have fun and love Jesus?" can it?

The cynical answer is a rich alum somewhere of course, but - I dunno - the NCAA only exists at this point to sniff out cheating in upstart programs, and nothing has surfaced yet.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

😂.  You're from West Virginia, how can you be this booshie?  Did you never go to church or have a fun middle school PE teacher?

Yes. And these type of people are always secretly killing hobos.

25 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

But I'm not seeing any attempt to copy Clemson? Is it because it's so specific to one personality? Is the idea that Dabo is a weird combination of Joel Osteen, Bear Bryant, and Tony Robbins and any attempt to copy him is going to end in failure. 

Stanford, Auburn, Oregon, Ole Miss, Georgia, Washington, and Texas A&M. 

Ole Miss bought the recruiting muscle but they've had the wrong coaches.  Same with A&M and Sumlin but they've got the right guy now.  They'll probably win a championship within the next five years.

Georgia will probably get one sooner than that.

Stanford and Oregon kind of got knocked off their trajectory when their coaches jumped to the NFL, but both of them were on their way to blue blood stature.  If there had been a playoff ten years earlier, both Oregon and Stanford might have at least one.  A four seed Stanford would have won it all in 2010.  They were getting legit NFL caliber recruits.

The Dabo/Venables staff is special, and it took them like seven years to build that special culture up from the mess that Tommy Bowden had created.  But so much of their success comes from geography.  It's good to be close to Georgia, Alabama, and North Florida.  Collectively they form a region that's probably half the size of Texas, and it is the best high school football region in the country by a mile.  Throw in upstate South Carolina and central North Carolina too, they are very talent rich for having small populations.  Eleven of the last 13 national championships have been won by schools in this small geographic area.  That's nuts.

Recruiting Georgia has been impactful.  DaShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are both from North Georgia.  Jake Fromm is from central Georgia.  Trevor Lawrence was the #2 recruit in his class and the #1 guy was Justin Fields, who signed with UGA then transferred to Ohio State.  He is also from North Georgia.  Cam Newton is from Atlanta.

To me the obvious candidate with the potential to mimic Clemson's rise is Georgia Tech.  But it's going to take a different AD than the one they've got.  And it's going to take their boosters opening up their wallets.  No power five school has a more favorable geographic location than them and they have had no idea what to do with that.  Cam Newton should not be leaving his hometown to go play for Florida or Auburn.  Justin Fields should not be leaving the area to go sit behind Jake Fromm or transferring to Ohio State.

In ancient CFB history, Georgia Tech was an SEC school and a power program and rival to Alabama.  John Heisman and WIlliam Alexander and Bobby Dodd coached there.  They won three national championships and a ton of Sugar, Cotton, and Orange bowls.  Then they went independent and slowly degraded, and by the time they joined the ACC in the 80's, they stopped competing at the level they used to.  For the past 15 years they've been content to be the king of the service academies and win their division once every five years.

If they were willing to spend the money, they could make the leap that Clemson did.

I give McQueen credit. He is the single best poster for coming up with absolutely bat**** crazy ideas that at least make you pause for a second and admire the logic. I'm fairly certain the primary issue with Georgia Tech is that - like Notre Dame post Holtz - it actually requires its athletes to take, like, math. It's already at war with itself over the difference between the SAT scores of the student body as a whole and the football team. And that's with the triple option as its offense. The compromises it would have to make to recruit someone like Cam Newton are hard to imagine....unless, I guess, you are a Virginia Tech fan and you are wondering why you apparently only compromised your standards once.

Also, I think your home recruiting base is important, but if it the magic formula was simply recruiting base + generous alums, the University of Texas wouldn't be thanking a unicorn named Vince Young for saving it from being title-less since the Nixon administration.

Oregon's burst of success was the fact they were seemingly first in two ideas that are now everywhere. One is the insanely rich alum who has a misguided desire for his college to be good at football. The other is the read option, which everyone runs now. Chip Kelly was literally two years ahead of everyone else in football. Which meant, they caught him in two years, and now he's just another coach.

It's entirely possible that Dabo's success is just a minor blip, but he seems equipped to put together an 8 to 10 year run of excellence, which is not usually what someone like Chip Kelly produces. This feels like a Bobby Bowden-level total transformation.

I'm in ATL, listen to 92.9 The Game in the car always (short ride, I'm only 5 miles from work), but afternoon errands on the way home have me in & out of the car a few times, so I hear more stuff, like the Vince Dooley report on the Dawgs every Thursday. 

Absolutely no one brought up Trevor's link to the state until the day of the game...everyone was all-SEC..."Bamas gonna take another championship", blah blah. 

I think I was the happiest lover of dudes with hair on Tuesday...and I've been an ACC super fan for life.  

GT could easily step up...we got Amerson and Crowder from Duke, which is getting better, but far from being a football school worth serious recruiting. 

It ain't like GT don't have boosters...I worked for a gay couple with season tickets for 30 years...and they'd both walk right outta the full restaurant with a skeleton crew...and let business suffer to go to the game. 

40 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Well the U just got a potential great QB. Was hoping Martell might actually choose WVU but I always expect the worst. 🤔

Diaz is crushing it with transfers. Bubba Bolden from USC May be the most exciting for me, but there’s also KJ Osborn from Buffalo, Tommy Kennedy from Butler, Asa Martin from Auburn and Jeff Thomas is now staying at the U. 

As for Tate there are some saying he will graduate early and be able to play this season. If Hurts is still in play for Miami it will be really interesting. 

**** Oklahoma

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25777632/oklahoma-blocking-qb-transfer-austin-kendall-2019-eligibility-west-virginia

As it gets a commitment from Alabama graduate transfer quarterback Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma is blocking quarterback Austin Kendall from becoming immediately eligible at West Virginia as a graduate transfer, sources told ESPN.

Under new transfer rules, Kendall is able to talk to Mountaineers coaches and is free to transfer to the school. Oklahoma, however, still reserves the right under NCAA rules to keep Kendall from becoming immediately eligible at West Virginia, another Big 12 school, for the 2019 season, even though he has earned his undergraduate degree at Oklahoma.

Kendall could still transfer to West Virginia, but he would have to sit out the upcoming season, leaving him with only one year of eligibility remaining.

Of course, nobody should forget that THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED when Baker Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech to Oklahoma, except Mayfield wasn't a graduate transfer.

The SEC passed a rule last summer saying it would allow graduates to transfer within the conference and be eligible immediately, regardless. Previously, SEC players had to apply for a waiver. The Big 12 has no such rule, a league source confirmed.

In 2016, Big 12 members did vote to change its intraconference transfer rule for walk-ons and retroactively applied it to Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, [because OU led a PR campaign to shame the rest of the league for making him lose a year] giving him back a season of eligibility that he had previously lost. Mayfield had walked on to Texas Tech in 2013 then transferred to Oklahoma the following year without a scholarship. Under the previous Big 12 rule, which the league initially upheld before reversing course in a re-vote the following day, Mayfield would have, in addition to sitting out the first year, also lost a season of eligibility. With his fourth year of eligibility restored, Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy and led the Sooners to the College Football Playoff.

Archived