Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I guess we will see if Gibson was the problem or the only thing keeping them from being truly godawful on D. I truly hope they ditch the 3-3-5.

The benefit of the 3-3-5 was that WVU had trouble recruiting big bodies to play up front.  There are just a lot more humans that are 5'11 and 200 lbs than there are 300 pounders, so we could get more and better safeties than D linemen.  There was also the benefit of it just being weird and not something opposing teams were used to attacking.  Plus, I just really like Gibson as a person.  All of that being said, the results were not great and too inconsistent.  We needed like 3 stops during the entire game against Oklahoma and got zero.  

49 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm not sure how WVU can improve when their coach left them for a Group of 5 team. Imagine Houston being an upgrade over WVU. In what world? 

It's a win-win-win for Dana. Less conference competition. Bigger recruiting and easier recruiting talent base. More $'s than WVU was ever going to pay him.

11 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm not sure how WVU can improve when their coach left them for a Group of 5 team. Imagine Houston being an upgrade over WVU. In what world? 

This is really interesting and I think a product of the flawed playoff system and the obvious dominance of Alabama and Clemson. Go to Houston, make more money and win more games knowing that at neither place you are likely to get a shot at the National Championship. 

On 1/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, ixcuincle said:

Well, if he had come back to WVU, it would have been a year where he had to win 9 games, or he'd be done.  This is after winning 8 games with Will Grier, a Bednarik finalist (Sills), the Big 12 defensive player of the year (David Long) and the entire starting defensive line, all of whom are leaving for the NFL.  So Dana, smartly, wanted years and money added to his contract.  Our AD, smartly, wasn't going to reward a coach that went 33-30 in Big 12 play, 1-5 in bowls, lost the last 3 games in each of the past 2 years and wanted a fully-guaranteed, Top 25 coaching salary (and that's what $4 million per is) contract.  I love Holgo, but no thanks.  Basically, Holgo gave up a one year, $4 million deal for a 6 year, $20 million deal because Houston (and one booster in particular) was desperate to get him and WVU was not desperate to keep him.  

On the other hand, we bring in Brown, who is far cheaper, has an amazing resume, and seems to fit our program and culture to a tee. 

Here is a good summary:

He has had success at every level so far. When he was the offensive coordinator at Troy, the Trojans ranked No. 3 in the nation in total yardage per game. He then went to Texas Tech as the offensive coordinator for three years, and his offenses ranked 15th, 13th, and 13th in total offense. When he arrived at Kentucky as OC, the Wildcats ranked 115th in total offense. By his second year, they had jumped to 82nd. Not amazing, but still a positive considering just how bad those teams were and playing in the SEC.

Finally he gets his first head coaching job - Troy. The Trojans had never won double-digit games since transitioning to Division I-A football back in 2001. Brown did it three times in a row. In the years prior to Brown's arrival, the Trojans went 3-9, 5-7, 6-6, and 3-9 for a combined record of 17-31. After a transition year of 4-8, Brown's since gone 31-8.

And how about recruiting? The Trojans are ranked 70th. That may not seem like a big deal, but let's keep things in perspective here. There are 65 Power Five teams (64 + Notre Dame). That means Troy is recruiting like a Top Five team outside of the "big boys." It's also the highest-ranked recruiting class for the Trojans during the recruiting area.... and he's achieved that for three years running.

Brown has the three winningest seasons in school history and followed that with the three best recruiting classes in school history. That's the kind of combination that results in sustained, high-end success for a head coach.

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Article/Instant-Analysis-The-Neal-Brown-Hire-127346216/

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

This is really interesting and I think a product of the flawed playoff system and the obvious dominance of Alabama and Clemson. Go to Houston, make more money and win more games knowing that at neither place you are likely to get a shot at the National Championship. 

Funny thing about this season for WVU.  We lost to Oklahoma in the last game of the season by a field goal, 56-53.  If we had gotten ONE ****ING STOP, and we had plenty of chances throughout the game, we'd have played Texas in the Big 12 championship game, and we had already beaten Texas in Austin.  So, we were basically one defensive play away from going to the playoff and getting our asses handed to us by Alabama.  

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Funny thing about this season for WVU.  We lost to Oklahoma in the last game of the season by a field goal, 56-53.  If we had gotten ONE ****ING STOP, and we had plenty of chances throughout the game, we'd have played Texas in the Big 12 championship game, and we had already beaten Texas in Austin.  So, we were basically one defensive play away from going to the playoff and getting our asses handed to us by Alabama.  

If WVA wins the Big 12 this season, Ohio St. would have been Bama’s sacrificial lamb.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Just allow me my alternative history.  

Also, I think Holgoraon makes the wise move for him personally. He’s been in the Big 12 long enough now to realize that he will never be able to recruit well enough at WVU to compete year in and year out against the likes of Oklahoma and Texas. Throw in the likes of Baylor, Ok St., Iowa St., and TCU, and he knows winning double digits, and getting to a major bowl will be a huge task.

At Houston, he can probably recruit as good, or better athletes than at WVU, and be more likely to run the table in that conference, with maybe an outside shot at getting into the playoff if the big 5 have a down year. Plus, he’s getting big bucks to do it.

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Also, I think Holgoraon makes the wise move for him personally. He’s been in the Big 12 long enough now to realize that he will never be able to recruit well enough at WVU to compete year in and year out against the likes of Oklahoma and Texas. Throw in the likes of Baylor, Ok St., Iowa St., and TCU, and he knows winning double digits, and getting to a major bowl will be a huge task.

At Houston, he can probably recruit as good, or better athletes than at WVU, and be more likely to run the table in that conference, with maybe an outside shot at getting into the playoff if the big 5 have a down year. Plus, he’s getting big bucks to do it.

I think it came down to him getting more guaranteed years and money and the fact that next year is lining up to be a down year for WVU and the year his contract is expiring, so next year would be a bad year for him to try to get a new deal anywhere.  So he had to get something done this year and, as I said, Houston wanted him badly, WVU was only lukewarm on him.  So definitely the wise move for both Holgo and WVU.  

The other thing that I think factored in was that our current AG did not hire him (or the basketball coach).  AG has been around for almost 5 years, and he hasn't really had a chance to put his stamp on the athletic department yet.  The basketball coach is on a lifetime contract, is almost certainly the most popular person in the state, and is 100% un-fireable.  So this was the AGs only real chance to do something, and he did it (and is getting high praise for it).  

And personally, I doubt that any Group of 5 team will ever make a 4 team playoff.  UCF has done everything they can do with the schedule they have, and they would have been at best the 7th team picked this year (the 4 that got picked plus OSU and UGA).  Michigan was also ahead of them in the final CFP rankings.  

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Long n Left said:

Holgorson will have more four and five star recruits within 30 minutes of him at UH in one year than West Virginia will produce in the next two decades. he's a 4 hour drive up 45 to Dallas, which produces even better talent than Houston, and a 5 hour drive on I 10 to New Orleans which produces more than both. The pitch at Houston is pretty easy. Come here, your mom comes to every game, you'll probably start every single game you play, and if we do what we're supposed to do, we'll play in a major bowl every year. At WVU, the pitch is always, "Come to a place where it snows and all the fans are white and once every four years, we'll probably be competitive with Oklahoma."

Holgorson actually recruited a 4 star player from Houston who spent part of his senior year living with friends of mine (He and his mom were actually Katrina refugees who landed in the Houston burbs). Getting him to Morgantown to move in was a massive pain in the ass, because you land in Pittsburgh.....and you still are 100 miles away from campus. For a moment, my dad was actually going to drive him from the airport to Morgantown.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Tickets to the championship game are 150 dollars on third party sites. 

During the Rich Rod era and after at WVU, WVU went to 8 straight bowl games, including 3 high ticket ones. During that the basketball team made an elite 8 and final four appearance. I know there were fans who were completely tapped out financially by the end of that run.

How many conference title games and high end bowl games have these two fanbases been to in the last decade or so? Now you are asking them to travel to 90 minutes outside of San Francisco on a Monday night two weeks after Christmas.

It's not like Northern California is known as a generalized hotbed of college football. Predicto is not packing up his family and taking a three hour round trip to watch this game live.

The furthest west for these games has to be Phoenix and the furthest north has to be Charlotte. Sending these teams to California is insane.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I am rooting for it to be the last time we see these two teams (for a few years at least).

Too bad the entire ACC has been Dabo's ****

I remember when Dabo first got to Clemson and he was just this eccentric lunatic that all the VT fans on their high horse would laugh at and belittle. 

Ah the good old days.  

Archived