Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN QB COLT McCOY TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

July 27, 2018

REDSKINS SIGN QB COLT McCOY TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed quarterback Colt McCoy to a contract extension. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

McCoy (6-1, 210) was originally selected by the Cleveland Browns in the third round (85th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. For his career, he has appeared in 36 regular season games with 25 starts, completing 508-of-842 passes (60.3 percent) for 5,586 yards with 26 touchdowns.

McCoy starred at the University of Texas from 2006-09, earning 45 victories in 53 career starts to finish as the winningest quarterback in NCAA history at the time. For his collegiate career, he completed 1,157-of-1,645 passes for 13,253 yards with 112 touchdowns, while adding 447 rushes for 1,571 yards and 20 touchdowns for the Longhorns.

McCoy, 31, attended Jim Ned H.S. in Tuscola, Texas where he was a two-time Associated Press 2A Offensive MVP and first-team all-state pick. He concluded his prep career as the all-time leading passer in Texas 2A history and sixth overall across all size classifications in Texas history, completing 536-of-849 pass attempts for 9,344 yards and 116 touchdowns. He was born Sept. 5, 1986.

1 hour ago, GhostofSparta said:

"Up to" $7 million.

If he wins league MVP, OPOY, Superbowl MVP, make the Pro Bowl, throws for 6,000 yards, and cures prostate cancer by the bye week.

Yeah ive got that deal with my weekly mega millions/powerball tickets

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I find it odd they'd extend him already. Must not be impressed by Hogan at all

The Jay Gruden Man-Crush players have been, for the last couple of seasons, Grant, Fat Rob, McCoy and Dunny.  

Grant is gone, Fat Rob might be gone, so they extended Dunny and McCoy.  

This move also says a little bit about what the team expects of Jay, and that they expect him to be around. If you believe your coach is on the way out, you don't bother re-signing a backup QB who's one of his guys...

Pure guess is that he get a base salary of 3-4 mil next year, we have no intention of drafting a QB in 2019 so that works for us, plus the deal can void which may also be for Colts benefit if someone else is after his services next season, offering more cash.

7M for McCoy?  McCoy backed up a guy that made 49 consecutive starts so we skeptical fan have perhaps lost our appreciation for having a quality backup, Redskin management hasn't.  The deal probably has a number of performance clauses including the number quarters played.

I haven't watched Smith play much over the years so I don't have an opinion yet but I am glad McCoy is going to be available if needed.  I like this move.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:17 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Just out of pure curiosity, I wonder if there's any NFL teams that Colt could/would start on.

Yes, the 2018 Redskins if Smith goes down.  Cousins was able to start every game for 3 years but the Skins may not be this fortunate in 2018.  If another NFL team wanted McColt services as a starter I don't think he would have signed this extension with the Skins.

• 1 month later...

(Is this the Colt McCoy thread?  I could have sworn we had a "Cult of Colt" topic, but maybe that was Colt Brennan.)

So, if the 49ers wanted to trade for Colt, what should we demand?  I would want a 3rd round pick, minimum, upgrading to a 2nd rounder if he had a certain amount of regular season success as the starter this year.

15 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

(Is this the Colt McCoy thread?  I could have sworn we had a "Cult of Colt" topic, but maybe that was Colt Brennan.)

So, if the 49ers wanted to trade for Colt, what should we demand?  I would want a 3rd round pick, minimum, upgrading to a 2nd rounder if he had a certain amount of regular season success as the starter this year.

Yeah, I would want something even more. Not because I'm being unrealistic, but because it's just so early and we could have something at stake if our backup needs to play for a game or two. 

Just now, daveakl said:

The country music star one or the OC at Illinois State one?

Any of 'em will do. I was thinking the first year QB who played against us a bit last year. He actually looked like a decent cerebral back up (not necessarily a starter), but a Beathard belongs on this team more than the 49ers and if he doesn't work out our Front Office could surely use a Beathard!

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Any of 'em will do. I was thinking the first year QB who played against us a bit last year. He actually looked like a decent cerebral back up (not necessarily a starter), but a Beathard belongs on this team more than the 49ers and if he doesn't work out our Front Office could surely use a Beathard!

He's saying that because the QB is his grandson, not son 

Archived