Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

I don’t think an ankle is too serious. Especially with no prior ankle injury.

Unless he really needs the reps to learn the defense, which it sounds like isn’t the case. 

Also, I don’t know that this team is injury cursed because we have bad trainers and doctors. We take a lot of risk and draft players with histories of durability issues and injury concerns. Fuller turned out. Holsey, Reed, Chris Thompson, Allen have all missed time. I don’t mind taking a low round flyer on a guy like Shaun Dion Hamilton, who I like. We just also need to develop depth, so that when he predictably goes  down, we don’t lose an irreplaceable cog. 

I think everyone needs to calm down. Minor injuries like pulls and minor sprains are a part of football. They have to work their bodies up to taking the level of abuse that they will receive during the season. I’m a believer that going too light in training camp leads to worse injuries because they aren’t used to the strain.

Play football, get through the bevy of small injuries, and come out ready to out physical Arizona. 

Loved hearing this from Keim:

I've mentioned that slot corner is perhaps the most questionable spot on the team right now, both starter and depth-wise. My hope was that Moreau would get some play inside since he’s got a skillset that translates there, at least better than Dunbar’s in my mind. 

Glad to see they’re already working Moreau there and that he’s doing well. Of course, this means very little right now, but it’s something. Wonder how Danny Johnson, the guy Jay pointed out during OTAs, is doing there? 

1 hour ago, B.A.M.F. said:

I think everyone needs to calm down. Minor injuries like pulls and minor sprains are a part of football. They have to work their bodies up to taking the level of abuse that they will receive during the season. I’m a believer that going too light in training camp leads to worse injuries because they aren’t used to the strain.

Play football, get through the bevy of small injuries, and come out ready to out physical Arizona. 

A homeboy I used to work with made this point to me a couple'a years back.  In fact, he takes things a step further and blames The Players for negotiating a bad collective bargaining deal - because the rules of engagement involve fewer contact practices.

His reasoning (in a nutshell) is because Players' bodies aren't properly toughened during Training Camp (and practices in general), we are seeing a higher volume of injuries as a result.  And due to the limited contact, this incoming generation of NFL Players are "softer".

I don't know if I agree with all of his position, but it's some original thinking - and from my view, he's got a point. (Ryan: these props are for you!)

That's the long-winded way of saying I agree with you @B.A.M.F..

Glad to see Doctson winning on 50/50 balls in camp so far. The question is will Smith take the risks by throwing those in games?

Payne injury sucks. I wasnt exactly thrilled with that pick. But I was more excited when they added Settle late in the draft. 3 young guys on the line to grow together is a good thing. And with Payne down for a few weeks Settle will get plenty of extra work.

Quick has been flashing in camp so far. Would be nice to actually get something out of him this season.

All of the people who were calling to get rid of Norman during the off season need to back off. The man is as dedicated as any player in the league. And he puts in the work to prove it. 

23 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

A homeboy I used to work with made this point to me a couple'a years back.  In fact, he takes things a step further and blames The Players for negotiating a bad collective bargaining deal - because the rules of engagement involve fewer contact practices.

His reasoning (in a nutshell) is because Players' bodies aren't properly toughened during Training Camp (and practices in general), we are seeing a higher volume of injuries as a result.  And due to the limited contact, this incoming generation of NFL Players are "softer".

I don't know if I agree with all of his position, but it's some original thinking - and from my view, he's got a point. (Ryan: these props are for you!)

That's the long-winded way of saying I agree with you @B.A.M.F..

at the same time, there's only so many big hits a body can take.  You don't want to many friendly fire hits and injuries after all. 

Frankly, I think the biggest rule change the NFL should implement is weight limits.  With the size of the players combined with their modern workouts they're just better able to hit people at faster speeds and fall onto them with greater weights.  I think that's why RBs careers are so much shorter these days

As a Youth Coach, I ran my teams hard, made them practice hard, tried to have fun as the same time, scrimmage second half of practice and closed with running and then a fun game of some kind. My point is this, #hardwork makes the team stronger.... I am asking around to see if the intensity is heightened, the same or less so...

Here's some things that happened this morning when the pads went on for the first time.

Also, the field is still the suck. The entire ground may have been in even worse shape today. There's nothing quite like sinking when you walk. At one point walking across some mulch I swear I think I hit a sink hole as my foot went about 4" down into the ground before I could step out of it. 

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The Richmond area has had record setting rains since March.

Deal with it.

So has half the state the last few months. The difference is the rest of the state dries out. This facility doesn't.  But if we were talking about Ashburn/FedEx Field you'd be ok with bashing it because Dan, right? :silly: 

8 minutes ago, TK said:

So has half the state the last few months. The difference is the rest of the state dries out. This facility doesn't.  But if we were talking about Ashburn/FedEx Field you'd be ok with bashing it because Dan, right? :silly: 

I remember going to Ashburn when it was plenty muddy.  Also, there were no real shaded areas or concessions to speak of.

The good old days, I suppose.

8 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Blame Gruden for what?

The disappointment of Nicholson? Disappointed because of what? Two plays in training camp?

Folks need to get a grip. :806:

I'm not as excited about this as you seem to be.  All I'm saying is Gruden is the one who's leading the Nicholson parade.  I think he 's a solid defender.  I don't know how good he is, or how good he may become.

Guice is by far the best looking RB in shorts I’ve seen here since Portis.  I fully expect that to translate when the pads are on too.  He appears to be the difference maker that should make this offense go no matter what.  The threat alone should make everyone’s life a bit easier both between the 20’s and in the RZ.

8 hours ago, dyst said:

We should absolutely be alarmed at the Payne injury. Who is the source telling us 2-3 weeks? If it’s the Redskins, then I’m not sure why you would have any faith in them to diagnose an injury or rehabilitate is.

Was it the ****ty filed or just another case of “bad luck”? Don’t know but this happens way to often here. Reed, Crowder were just two guys last year who were injured during camp and were never the same after. Both were given 2-3 week timelines. 

Might turn out to be nothing.

Depends on who reports it. Rotoworld says its a precaution. He already knows the defense and it didn't seem like a huge deal.Seems we might see him in the 3rd preseason game..

Guice is by far the best looking RB in shorts I’ve seen here since Portis.  I fully expect that to translate when the pads are on too.  He appears to be the difference maker that should make this offense go no matter what.  The threat alone should make everyone’s life a bit easier both between the 20’s and in the RZ.

Whoa whoa whoa what about Morris?

39 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I'm not as excited about this as you seem to be.  All I'm saying is Gruden is the one who's leading the Nicholson parade.  I think he 's a solid defender.  I don't know how good he is, or how good he may become.

It isn"t about excitement. It's about folks practically declaring this guy a bust because he wasn't perfect on two plays in training camp.

It's ridiculous.

Archived