Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

The offense I'm not worried about. It's clear Coach Gruden had a Peterson agenda in this game and several key offensive players sat.

No doubt the defense didn't look great against the Broncos. As Thinking Skins pointed out, a lot teams didn't look good.

We'll see if it translates into the first game of the regular season.

Well, considering that Gruden is 0-5 in openers and his teams always start out sluggish, I'm guessing we'll see more of the same.

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, considering that Gruden is 0-5 in openers and his teams always start out sluggish, I'm guessing we'll see more of the same.

I am worried about this big time.  I really wanted to see Smith get more work in the preseason, and I wonder how he's going to do with a very different set of players come week 1.  Fingers crossed that they've been working in practice, but I'm concerned.  

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I am worried about this big time.  I really wanted to see Smith get more work in the preseason, and I wonder how he's going to do with a very different set of players come week 1.  Fingers crossed that they've been working in practice, but I'm concerned.  

Smith has a very good record in openers and had a poor showing in his last third preseason game

3 minutes ago, carex said:

Smith has a very good record in openers and had a poor showing in his last third preseason game

But that generally is in an offense he's been in for an extended period of time... with players he's played with before.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY hope you're right, but the concern is still there.   

17 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

But that generally is in an offense he's been in for an extended period of time... with players he's played with before.  Don't get me wrong, I REALLY hope you're right, but the concern is still there.   

While I agree with the idea that we won't know until we know -- and Alex and the team could look perfectly fine in week 1 -- tough not to notice that Alex has typically thrown about double or more in the preseason in KC (even being familiar with their system) than he has here.    Arizona's defense was on fire in their dress rehearsal.  Good Morning Football just ran a segment about how is Arizona's defense one of the biggest things people are sleeping on.  I am going to that game.  Hope it works out. ?

48 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Actually, Gruden is 0-4 in opening games.

Unless you are just being prophetic. ;)

Or pessimistic. :)

RUSHING STATISTICS
Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Rob Kelley 19 42 2.2 9 0
Kapri Bibbs 11 95 8.6 41 0
Adrian Peterson 11 56 5.1 15 0
Samaje Perine 8 61 7.6 30 0
Martez Carter 7 45 6.4 33 0
Derrius Guice 6 19 3.2 6 0

Listening to Grant and Danny and they're talking about how the rush offense has been good EXCEPT Rob Kelley... and they're onto something.   Look at the YPC variance between him and pretty much everyone else.  Guice doesn't have a great YPC either but if his biggest run doesnt get called back he's on par with the rest of the guys.   

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While I’ve never liked Kelley as a runner, I love everything else about him.  I get it - he’s paid to run not be a good story and dude.  But it would be brutal if he goes from the guy Gruden couldn’t talk better about to cut in just a few weeks.

absolutely.  

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While I’ve never liked Kelley as a runner, I love everything else about him.  I get it - he’s paid to run not be a good story and dude.  But it would be brutal if he goes from the guy Gruden couldn’t talk better about to cut in just a few weeks.

Agree. What has me at odds is perhaps Gruden is a super homer and loves the underdog moreso than the talented player. It finally took Peterson to get Gruden to open his eyes and finally recognize what a good RB can do. IDK, maybe Gruden doesnt know what a good RB is?  It sounds ridiculous for me to ask that question but it could explain a lot. 

7 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Agree. What has me at odds is perhaps Gruden is a super homer and loves the underdog moreso than the talented player. It finally took Peterson to get Gruden to open his eyes and finally recognize what a good RB can do. IDK, maybe Gruden doesnt know what a good RB is?  It sounds ridiculous for me to ask that question but it could explain a lot. 

We used to think the same thing about Grant and we didn't make it a priority to re-sign him.  

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agree, Kelley is a good guy, good story.  And with all the talk that Kelley is the starter -- heck if I recall he was named first on the first depth chart that came out over Guice -- though I figured that's just the ceremonial the rookie has to earn his spot message. -- I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it.  Personally, though, I would cut him over the guys we have in house.  But the cut at RB should be interesting for different reasons -- Perine, Kelley, Bibbs.  The beat guys seem to think the cut is much more likely to come from Perine and Bibbs.  Will see.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, Kelley is a good guy, good story.  And with all the talk that Kelley is the starter -- heck if I recall he was named first on the first depth chart that came out over Guice -- though I figured that's just the ceremonial the rookie has to earn his spot message. -- I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it.  Personally, though, I would cut him over the guys we have in house.  But the cut at RB should be interesting for different reasons -- Perine, Kelley, Bibbs.  The beat guys seem to think the cut is much more likely to come from Perine and Bibbs.  Will see.

Well Hoffman said Perine will be playing Thur, so it's likely the 3 (Kelley / Perine / Bibbs) will be battling out for their jobs.  Marshall being hurt, may have found himself on the roster because of it.... I don't know the logistics of how we would release him, or if we even can while he's injured?  Someone with more knowledge of the logistics would be my go to on that one.  

Another thing to watch is going to be Colt McCoy over the next week before cut down.  If he's not healthy enough, with the injury to his hand, week 1 to be comfortable as a backup, we may need to now carry a 3rd QB in the form of Hogan.... at least til McCoy is good to go.  That could end up being a big time decision somewhere on the roster.  

8 hours ago, Morneblade said:

They dont win the first game, but is that otherwise actually true?  They're a mediocre team, plain and simple.  Mediocre at the beginning, middle, and usually the end too. 

They're 7-9 in the first 4 weeks the last 4 years.  Last year, they were a Doctson drop in the endzone away from being 3-1 in the first 4, against 3 playoff teams, at that.  

Whether they win or lose the first game, it ultimately doesnt matter.  They will find their level, and their level is around .500.  

Do people think winning the first game is somehow the key to a good season?  There's 15 more after that and they all count the same.

Archived