Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

23 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

You know what concerns me? How will he handle the fans and media when  things aren't going so well. Dude really is weird, hopefully he is more Jalen Ramsey like than anything. That's a weird dude that knows how to work the media. Lol

Ryan Clark who knows him well said the weird part about him is he just doesn't know when to turn it off -- he's on all the time.  But said he's a good guy.

Jay even joked about it in a 980 interview last year about whether anyone here has ever seen such a quiet group of receivers all on one team?  I like dwelling on the Giants game that took them out of the playoffs in the 2016 season because I was worried leading up to it and talked about it on that game thread.   The Giants leading up to that game -- it was noticeable they were fired up based on their public comments and coverage of their practices, in addition you can see a clip of those guys wired up during that game on youtube -- and they were so animated about eliminating the Redskins from the playoffs.  They seemed more into eliminating the Redskins than the Redskins seemed to be about making the playoffs -- the whole thing made me sick. 

Maybe the Redskins offense felt the burn deep inside but they didn't seem to match the Giants emotion -- the one spark happened late in the game when Garcon got angry.  Garcon IMO brought some needed emotion.  IMO we need a shot of a guy who bounces off the walls like Guice.  Thompson already suggested that the dude's energy is contagious and in a good way.   

Obviously, I am looking for good players first as opposed to their personality.  But I do think having a good player with the addition of some personality and emotion helps.  Cooley talks about it much more eloquently -- he didn't talk about it in the context of Guice but he said more than once that a locker room is helped by having some animated guys -- and it especially helps the quiet guys get going at times.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ryan Clark who knows him well said the weird part about him is he just doesn't know when to turn it off -- he's on all the time.  But said he's a good guy.

Jay even joked about it in a 980 interview last year about whether anyone here has ever seen such a quiet group of receivers all on one team?  I like dwelling on the Giants game that took them out of the playoffs in the 2016 season because I was worried leading up to it and talked about it on that game thread.   The Giants leading up to that game -- it was noticeable they were fired up based on their public comments and coverage of their practices, in addition you can see a clip of those guys wired up during that game on youtube -- and they were so animated about eliminating the Redskins from the playoffs.  They seemed more into eliminating the Redskins than the Redskins seemed to be about making the playoffs -- the whole thing made me sick. 

Maybe the Redskins offense felt the burn deep inside but they didn't seem to match the Giants emotion -- the one spark happened late in the game when Garcon got angry.  Garcon IMO brought some needed emotion.  IMO we need a shot of a guy who bounces off the walls like Guice.  Thompson already suggested that the dude's energy is contagious and in a good way.   

Obviously, I am looking for good players first as opposed to their personality.  But I do think having a good player with the addition of some personality and emotion helps.  Cooley talks about it much more eloquently -- he didn't talk about it in the context of Guice but he said more than once that a locker room is helped by having some animated guys -- and it especially helps the quiet guys get going at times.

With you 100%.  We need heart.  I actually think it's something that's been lacking in this team for years.  Gruden is not a guy who's going to be rah rah... or at least not from what I've seen.  I don't remember ever seeing him get emotional on the sidelines beyond maybe a questioned look or lipreading a comment.  He's just not that type of coach.  I feel we've missed that element since he's been here, and we can absolutely have it in players.  DJ has shown to be some of that for the defensive side of the ball, but on offense, who is there that's been the match to light a fire in the huddle?  I hope Guice is that kind of a guy. 

One of my favorite memories was Marcus Washington slapping the Ref on the butt after our defense made a play vs Dallas.  I'll never forget it.  

The play is at 6:15.  He makes a sack, jumps up, does a little dance, then slaps the ref on the butt. 

I love seeing guys have fun like that.  He wasn't showing up a defender, he wasn't doing some elaborate in your face celebration, he was genuinely wrapped up in the moment, full of excitement.  I think that's the kind of thing we REALLY need, and I think Guice can bring that to the table.  He's out there having fun, and it would appear from what I've seen so far, it's infectious.  

The rah rah crap only works when you like the player. Somehow fans still respect Garcon, despite everything he's said and done. Yet you get a vocal leader who wanted to be on the team, like Baker and his rah rah crap is harmful. 

Guise is a Redskin. He's gonna see more losses and blowouts than he saw his entire collagite career. Who knows if he keeps cranking after getting paid and abused by the media after a long season and nagging injuries. There's no way to tell, but it's not a far fall from superman to diva in DC. 

Funny thing about Guice is, as animated as he is off the field, he's actually the opposite on the field. Go and watch some of his highlight videos, he's actually more Barry Sanders than say a Chad Johnson. Dude is all business out there. He has a few plays where he gets hyped up, but mostly dude just goes back to the huddle. Even with TDs. 

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The rah rah crap only works when you like the player. Somehow fans still respect Garcon, despite everything he's said and done. Yet you get a vocal leader who wanted to be on the team, like Baker and his rah rah crap is harmful. 

Naw, I love that rah rah ****, regardless of who does it. Sometimes your team and fans (at home games) need it as an adrenaline shot. I dont like it when when we're getting crushed and players celebrating after plays and the game is damner over, but we need players to be fired up out there. Sometimes it can change the tide of the game. 

5 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Naw, I love that rah rah ****, regardless of who does it. Sometimes your team and fans (at home games) need it as an adrenaline shot. I dont like it when when we're getting crushed and players celebrating after plays and the game is damner over, but we need players to be fired up out there. Sometimes it can change the tide of the game. 

Fired up to see the new acquisitions this Thursday night. My list in order of most interest:

1. Trey Quinn

2. All the new CBs

3. Derrius Guice

4. Alex Smith

5. Tim Settle

6. Paul Richardson

Obviously, Smith and Guice are super important, but I just don't think we'll get to see them very much so I ranked them lower for that reason.

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Guise is a Redskin. He's gonna see more losses and blowouts than he saw his entire collagite career. Who knows if he keeps cranking after getting paid and abused by the media after a long season and nagging injuries. There's no way to tell, but it's not a far fall from superman to diva in DC. 

Garcon does own the most receptions by a Redskin in a single season (113) and is top ten in Redskins receiving history and Reed is the only on who could knock him out in the near future. His only two 1000+ seasons came as a Redskin. Yeah, give me production over rah rah **** every time.  I hate rah-rah crap when it doesn't come form a real producer.  I really like it when I can calmly draw your attention to the scoreboard when you are trashing me.

1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

Garcon does own the most receptions by a Redskin in a single season (113) and is top ten in Redskins receiving history and Reed is the only on who could knock him out in the near future. His only two 1000+ seasons came as a Redskin. Yeah, give me production over rah rah **** every time.  I hate rah-rah crap when it doesn't come form a real producer.  I really like it when I can calmly draw your attention to the scoreboard when you are trashing me.

I think there is a difference between 'rah rah' and playing with obvious emotion.  Talking trash is different than lifting up your team mates, or celebrating positive play.  ABSOLUTELY there is a time to have an emotional display, and its generally when things are going RIGHT.  Nobody wants to see anyone celebrating a TD down by 28 with 4 min to go.  That's just ignorant... but I like to see players play with passion.  There are certain players who just look like they're having fun.  They're smiling, they're playing effortlessly, and they work.  T.O. may be one of the best WR to ever touch a football field... but the emotion he played with was detrimental.  Sean Taylor came into the league and actually got hit for spitting in Pittmans face.  These are not instances of playing with positive emotion.... so there is a difference between showing a guy up, and being happy with success.  

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nicholson and Moreau are the two starters I'm most curious about. Some of the back up LBers have me curious too. There's some cool young pieces on defense if we can put it all together. 

Yeah I am really curious about our defensive backfield as a whole.  These two being right at the tops to see what they can do.  I feel like Montae could really break out this year.  

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Why do i feel like our fanbase takes pride or enjoys not cheering for the underdog?

or we cheer TOO much for the underdog, thus increasing that players value incorrectly.  The final chapter of Mack Brown hasn't been written YET, but the other two were heart breakers, and the team appears to have been correct.

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

or we cheer TOO much for the underdog, thus increasing that players value incorrectly.  The final chapter of Mack Brown hasn't been written YET, but the other two were heart breakers, and the team appears to have been correct.

Im just saying, I read other teams forums and i never see the amount of snarky or negativity that i read here. Also what does it matter if we "increase the players value incorrectly" lol. We are not on the coaching staff.... What's wrong with being excited about a kid with talent who was the last pick of the draft ? 

If anything this fanbase builds up our 1st round picks to unreal expectations, do i need to go down the list?

If anything we

1 hour ago, Bantu said:

Fired up to see the new acquisitions this Thursday night. My list in order of most interest:

1. Trey Quinn

2. All the new CBs

3. Derrius Guice

4. Alex Smith

5. Tim Settle

6. Paul Richardson

Obviously, Smith and Guice are super important, but I just don't think we'll get to see them very much so I ranked them lower for that reason.

How much of Guice and Alex Smith do you think we will see, Can't wait to see them in uniform 

5 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im just saying, I read other teams forums and i never see the amount of snarky or negativity that i read here. Also what does it matter if we "increase the players value incorrectly" lol. We are not on the coaching staff.... What's wrong with being excited about a kid with talent who was the last pick of the draft ? 

If anything this fanbase builds up our 1st round picks to unreal expectations, do i need to go down the list?

What's wrong with inside jokes? 

2 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

There's a cohort (I think they're small in number, but prolific in posts) that does think it's cool to be "realistic." Mind you, realistic means suicidally pessimistic. Part of me thinks it's self-protection after being beaten up by too many rotten seasons, but part of me also thinks they find joy in raining on other's parades.

Continue rooting for underdogs. 

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im just saying, I read other teams forums and i never see the amount of snarky or negativity that i read here.

Are these other forums for teams that have been more sucessful recently (say in the last 27 years) or maybe not as much as a ****show? That might have a LOT to do with it. 

Because for 20 years we've had starters that wouldn't be back ups on most teams, so we got use to elevating any player not starting, without realizing they also sucked. Now we have actual starters, but we're conditioned to think our back ups are better so we joke about it. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Garcon's highlight was being an actually good receiver. Chris Baker's highlight was getting ejected after blind-siding a QB.

Don't talk it if you can't walk it. Garcon did walk it, Baker didn't.

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I had about a paragraph typed out and realized I wasn't coming across correctly.

Sometimes the back end of the roster is inflated because people want to 'find that hidden gem.'  I'm guilty of it myself, getting excited, then let down a bit when that guys is released... also fearing they will make us look stupid.  

I wasn't trying to discourage rooting for the underdog, just trying to shed a little light about maybe the cynics who might have their feet a little more fastened to the ground.  A big part of what I said was to be playing devils advocate.  

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because for 20 years we've had starters that wouldn't be back ups on most teams, so we got use to elevating any player not starting, without realizing they also sucked. Now we have actual starters, but we're conditioned to think our back ups are better so we joke about it. 

So you have determined the players not starting whom were back ups were worse than the players who were starting who suck, despite the fact the the back ups never replaced them or saw any real time? Am i understanding this correctly ?

Archived