Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Is the NFL about to kill the Golden Goose? Nah, they'll change real quick with fan and media backlash. 

The NFL has been promoting "heads up" football for a few years now. I dont think they will scrap this.  The players aren't used to it now, but the players in college now have been through this and the players will adapt.  

As I understand the rule, it's not about leading with the helmet, it is about lowering the helmet.  The concept is that players should keep their head up.  It reduces the chance of the defensive player getting a concussion and it reduces the opportunity for the defender to use the crown of his helmet as a weapon.  We will see how it is enforced, but I'm not against this rule.

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Pretty much everyone who has played the game or reports on it is blasting the new rule today, I'm not sure the NFL really thought this through and I hope they rethink things before the season starts.

Won’t happen. 

The way to stop helmet lowering is to remove the helmet completely ???

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Is the NFL about to kill the Golden Goose? Nah, they'll change real quick with fan and media backlash. 

They are heading that way 

kneeling , what is a catch, helmet hits, qbs can’t be touched, legalized holding , awful way to pick hof players...

the fans are going to go away

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@SoulSkin ya, that makes sense for us, but hope they practicing before then .  This will be my 3rd time so giving vote if we should have it in RVA anymore after this.

I think the actual practice is 1:30-3:30. I've only gone to FA day once, and I remember it being sort of practice-light anyway. There was a lot of Larry Michael hollering into a mic, cheerleaders performing, and players trying to get autographs for as many people as they can. Looks like the best chance for storms are around 10am and 2pm. I've selfishly loved having camp in RVA, but I don't think it makes sense for the team, or Richmond, after the original deal is up. 

3 minutes ago, SoulSkin said:

I think the actual practice is 1:30-3:30. I've only gone to FA day once, and I remember it being sort of practice-light anyway. There was a lot of Larry Michael hollering into a mic, cheerleaders performing, and players trying to get autographs for as many people as they can. Looks like the best chance for storms are around 10am and 2pm. I've selfishly loved having camp in RVA, but I don't think it makes sense for the team, or Richmond, after the original deal is up. 

Agree, players come out but doesn't really get serious until end of day.  I was so turned off by fail bus drain system 1st year they did it, didn't go 2nd year (muddy and smelled like ass).  Year I didn't go I think was year they kept getting into fights with texans, kicking myself for missing that in person, lolz.  They should do it at Redskins Park so they have everything they need to get most out of it, that matters more to me.

People are acting like they took away tackles and made it 2 hand touch. 

Just keep your head UP, not down, not slanted at an angle, and wrap up. 

It’s going to get penalized until guys learn how to tackle properly.

I just wish they got rid of the 15 yard and spot of the foul penalty which have altered so many games in the past.  For a defensive penalty reward the offense with a extra down or new set of downs and allow 5 yard advancement. For a offensive penalty reward the defense by moving the offense back 5 yards and loss of a down.

10 hours ago, MartinC said:

The hit last night was not a penalty period. Refs will clean that up (mainly - there will always be bad calls).

But here is what is happening - defenders are going to have to learn to tackle not hit. We talk about tackling but it almost never happens in the NFL (or College). Defenders launch and hit rather than tackle. Arms are seldom used.

If you tackle properly using your arms and correct head position - behind not only in front of the ball carrier - and striking with the shoulder the head will almost never hit the ball carrier flush. At speed it will from time to time but if you keep your head up (see what you hit) it will be the face mask not the helmet that contacts.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/9/6/12341916/nfl-rugby-tackling-concussions-seahawks-falcons

Tackling is shockingly poor in the NFL. Habits will take time to change but this does not mean we are heading towards two hand touch. Or at least it doesn’t need to. It might be the end of the Sports Centre highlight reel hits but if that means fewer missed tackles then it might actually improve the game.

Nailed it. "Hawk tackling" or rugby tackling is the new wave and it really does take the head out of the tackle. Head across the bow is dead.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So I guess putting your helmet on the football to cause a fumble is a thing of the past now...that's too bad.

Not necessarily. It's being taught "near foot, near shoulder". If you come at the ball carrier to his ball side, your helmet is going right on the ball still. 

What IS going away is exposing your head and neck by trying to throw it across the other player's body. Think about that. As you do that, you're literally launching yourself across their body and opening yourself up for all kinds of head trauma.

One could also argue that the first hit isn't the best way to cause a fumble. If my near foot/shoulder is to the non-ball side, I can strike you and stop forward momentum and start to bring you back the other way... Perfect way for someone ball savvy (like, say, J.No) to come by and punch the ball out.

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

The hit last night was not a penalty period. Refs will clean that up (mainly - there will always be bad calls).

But here is what is happening - defenders are going to have to learn to tackle not hit. We talk about tackling but it almost never happens in the NFL (or College). Defenders launch and hit rather than tackle. Arms are seldom used.

If you tackle properly using your arms and correct head position - behind not only in front of the ball carrier - and striking with the shoulder the head will almost never hit the ball carrier flush. At speed it will from time to time but if you keep your head up (see what you hit) it will be the face mask not the helmet that contacts.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/9/6/12341916/nfl-rugby-tackling-concussions-seahawks-falcons

Tackling is shockingly poor in the NFL. Habits will take time to change but this does not mean we are heading towards two hand touch. Or at least it doesn’t need to. It might be the end of the Sports Centre highlight reel hits but if that means fewer missed tackles then it might actually improve the game.

This is a VERY compelling point to the conversation, and you raise a very valid conversation.  I have long believed that tackling is not taught correctly, and watching Laron Landry bounce off WR for his entire career was a visual testament to that.  That said, defenders have always used their shoulder as a point of impact whether they wrap or not.  Very rarely is the head the FIRST thing to make contact intentionally.  

I was talking to my brother in law yesterday and it dawned on me.  Under the current rules, the overwhelming majority of the defensive backfield (LB / DB) in the hall of fame, wouldnt be there.  This year alone, i would almost guarantee that Ray Lewis and Brian Dawkins likely would not have made it.  The game has changed, I get that, but part of the reason why these guys were so good, was because they won at the point of impact.  Something that's hard to do with these new rules in place.   I would imagine that this season we will see a 20% average in YPC across the league, simply because when an RB hits a hole, he's got the leverage and there's no way the DB / LB can attack the point of impact with the intention of stopping momentum.  When you wrap tackle, you may get the guy down, but the ball carrier's momentum will gain an additional couple yards.  

We were always taught to break down and get wide when defending a ball carrier.  That's going to obviously have to happen now.... 

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even last year, the helmet calls were ridiculous, so if this year is worse, it will be un-watchable.

Roger Goodell was given a top of the line Ferrari, open road, and no traffic, and somehow he has managed to careen it off the guardrails and into a ditch. All while pocketing in excess of $40 million a year. He is either the smartest, or luckiest, man on planet earth. I vote the latter.

Archived