thesubmittedone

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

10 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yep, Dez plays that same X position that Doctson plays too. 

As in "x" -rays position? :)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Again, I quote Dennis Miller, “in my experience, there’s no such thing as minor groin surgery...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Hopefully, Doctson's okay. If not, I'd still say "no" to Dez. I'd really like to see Quick who has been wowing people in camp so far get a shot or Mo Harris or Davis. Let's let a guy step up who is hungry to prove themselves and build a career.

I'm all for that. I support them getting increased snaps, but if any of those cats were starting material, they woulda got more snaps.  Not like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones were in front of them. 

At least Davis is a young player we don't know much about, but he has to earn it.  Quick has a track record. He's played enough over the years that I feel comfortable he won't all the sudden be a late bloomer. I've been very pro-Harris, so if anybody gets the shot, it should be him.  When he plays, he looks good.

49 minutes ago, Bantu said:

It's always something with Mr. Doctson. Not blaming him for having a 200 lb man land on his shoulder, but this guy seems to infuriate me more than any Redskin in recent memory.

At some point, it just stops being bad luck and it becomes, maybe his body isn't up to absorbing playing pro football.  He's not there yet, but this doesn't help his case.  If he comes back in week, no harm, no foul. Guys are gonna get nicked. If he misses the rest of camp and is slow to get going during the season, then I'll revisit it. 

Edited by justice98
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm all for that. I support them getting increased snaps, but if any of those cats were starting material, they woulda got more snaps.  Not like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones were in front of them. 

At least Davis is a young player we don't know much about, but he has to earn it.  Quick has a track record. He's played enough over the years that I feel comfortable he won't all the sudden be a late bloomer. I've been very pro-Harris, so if anybody gets the shot, it should be him.  When he plays, he looks good.

I dunno. Look at Pryor. The coaches refused to bench him until injuries forced him out of the line up. Sometimes, coaches get locked in. People keep starting because they are there and it takes Heaven and Earth to get them to make a change. Also, Kirk was very reluctant to throw the ball to anyone he didn't trust. It took half a season for Cousins to even look Doctson's way. Even then, it felt like 99% of all his throws went to Thompson and Davis regardless of who was open or by how much.

When he finally did start throwing to Doctson, it seems he only trusted him on fly patterns and go routes which you would think would not be Doctson's strength.

• Like 2

This receiving core is going to be the death of us, I'm not going to beat up on JD for injuring his shoulder, it might be nothing but when I look at his and PRich's body frames they don't look like the types who will last 16 games. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

This receiving core is going to be the death of us, I'm not going to beat up on JD for injuring his shoulder, it might be nothing but when I look at his and PRich's body frames they don't look like the types who will last 16 games. 

*knocks on wood*

Atleast there is no bad news on Reed yet.

Think about it like this, the receiver situation is actually better than it was last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Im with ya on the concern at wideout. P. Rich and Crowder staying healthy will do a lot in allowing the offense to be functional. Other pieces like Doctson and Reed are huge bonuses, providing potential to be a dangerous offense. 

I almost rathe the Skins take the Jackson approach and keep Richardson away from the middle of the field. He probably wants to show he’s more than a 1 trick pony, but he needs to stay healthy to consistently be a threat to take top off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

*knocks on wood*

Atleast there is no bad news on Reed yet.

Think about it like this, the receiver situation is actually better than it was last season.

Good News in fact.

Just now, wit33 said:

Im with ya on the concern at wideout. P. Rich and Crowder staying healthy will do a lot in allowing the offense to be functional. Other pieces like Doctson and Reed are huge bonuses, providing potential to be a dangerous offense. 

I almost rathe the Skins take the Jackson approach and keep Richardson away from the middle of the field. He probably wants to show he’s more than a 1 trick pony, but he needs to stay healthy to consistently be a threat to take top off. 

I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised and I gather this reading the guys at camp...Harris and Davis looking to make some noise, and don't count out Quick or Quinn. We have some depth. I think it is going to serve us well. 

Doctson showed immense promise in the first week of training camp, and that excitement extended into this week. But earlier today, he suffered an apparent shoulder injury when he and Josh Norman got tangled up in the end zone. Here is an update on the injury, which has not been officially diagnosed yet:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
 Sounds like an AC joint sprain/shoulder bruise. Not major. Even with Jamison Crowder having a big camp, a major injury would’ve stung

Washington Redskins

@Redskins
#Redskins WR Josh Doctson is being evaluated for a shoulder injury. An update on his status will be shared tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Good News in fact.

I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised and I gather this reading the guys at camp...Harris and Davis looking to make some noise, and don't count out Quick or Quinn. We have some depth. I think it is going to serve us well. 

Yes, I like those guys as complimentary pieces to guys like Paul and Crowder. It’s great to have guys like this who’ve grown in the Gruden system. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Yes, I like those guys as complimentary pieces to guys like Paul and Crowder. It’s great to have guys like this who’ve grown in the Gruden system. 

And now with an accurate QB you really don't know who of them is prep to take off. I really believe a QB makes the WR more so than the WR making the QB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

And now with an accurate QB you really don't know who of them is prep to take off. I really believe a QB makes the WR more so than the WR making the QB. 

I don't see a big difference in 65.5% over his career and 65.1% over his last 5. Especially when the guy with the higher completion% just left. Try again.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I don't see a big difference in 65.5% over his career and 65.1% over his last 5. Especially when the guy with the higher completion% just left. Try again.

I am speaking to the un-kept stat of hitting a guy in stride and not having to adjust to the ball. You know Eye-ball test. Play Harder. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Good News in fact.

I agree - I think we end up cutting a guy or two who could easily contribute. Granted, our issue isn't bodies, it's impact players. It's possible, even likely, that Doctson is really the only guy who could play on the outside and be special. 

Idk why you guys are comparing stats between Crowder and Diggs. It's well-known that Diggs has missed a lot of football games, which is a criticism you can aim at the decision to pay him for sure. But we all watch football here, right? He's on another level as a receiver, compared to Crowder. It's not just about stats, they are not in the same tier at all. When healthy, Diggs has operated as a true #1 WR at times and certainly has that type of impact:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I am speaking to the un-kept stat of hitting a guy in stride and not having to adjust to the ball. You know Eye-ball test. Play Harder.

Both guys are accurate. Take your koolaid goggles off.

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk why you guys are comparing stats between Crowder and Diggs. It's well-known that Diggs has missed a lot of football games, which is a criticism you can aim at the decision to pay him for sure. But we all watch football here, right? He's on another level as a receiver, compared to Crowder. It's not just about stats, they are not in the same tier at all. When healthy, Diggs has operated as a true #1 WR at times and certainly has that type of impact:

Everyone knows our guys r bestest! :P

I so get sick of blind homerism. Hey, I want them to win too, but I'm not gonna basically lie about how good they are.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I so get sick of blind homerism. Hey, I want them to win too, but I'm not gonna basically lie about how good they are.

It can work both ways and extremes.

Fans can prematurely get unfairly cruel in their criticism of their own players, i.e. considering Doctson a bust, etc.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Smith is the "safer" qb, in that his accuracy is rarely to the other team's players instead of Kirk air mailing one right to the defender.

Statistically no more accurate, but accurate in the sense that he doesn't throw many int's. 

I'd say Smith throws a more accurate ball as far as placement, in that they're usually right on point and the receiver doesn't have to break stride, but I think that's a product of experience. 

Kirk has only been starting for 3 years, Smith 10+, I think that accounts for something.

Don't get me wrong, Kirk threw a nice ball often, but a bunch of times the receiver had to adjust to it. I think that's just experience and 10 years worth of NFL mechanics. 

Edited by crabbypatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know that accuracy is a problem for Kirk or Alex. Kirk did throw behind receivers, but I think that's more because of:

What I see IS a difference is velocity. 

Kirk has a good arm, but when throwing into tight windows there didn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of umph behind it sometimes.

Alex has a howitzer for an arm and puts the ball in tight windows much better.

No, I'm not bashing Kirk here. Relax Kirk people.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2