thesubmittedone

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, carex said:

 

the problem isn't that Perine is bad, it's that others are doing better. 

 

Looking at the list, my surprises are Quick over Davis, I've heard much more about Davis so far, and on the offensive line that Catalina is still one of the main backups.

 

Yea I want to see how Davis develops.. I mean Quick made some clutch catches for us last year but only had what 6 total? Even with our decimated receiving corps we didn't see enough of him. I mean in a perfect world, if we're gonna have a guy whose not going to see any playing time why not a young kid who could develop. I guess maybe Quick offers other things like run blocking..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 I've seen those as well, although I did not see them until after the hogshaven  report. Most of it didn't seem to focus on a large body of work, seems like just a couple of "wow" moments are really mentioned. Those are nice, but he did that some last year. He's got to be consistent. He was far from that last year.

Just because you don't agree doesn't make it someone "feeding their own agenda". Because that's a good way to loose your own credibility.

No "u" in Morneblade. :)

 

It seems to me that those reports are focusing on different things. The one you provided (thanks) was from someone who focused on what he saw as Doctson being lackadaisical and not putting in enough effort or seemingly not trying hard enough (walking around, not chasing a fumble) while the others seemed to be focusing on his skill and performance in drills. So they could both potentially be correct at the same time.

 

The one you cited did talk about him rounding out his routes, but I haven't read that anywhere else from what I remember and in the clips I've seen of him so far he seems to be a lot crisper than he was last season. However, I will openly admit that him not being sudden enough in and out of his breaks last year was something I noted and was concerned about, so if he is indeed still doing it that would be problematic because that's one of the biggest things a WR should be improving from his first year playing to his second. 

Edited by mistertim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

It seems to me that those reports are focusing on different things. The one you provided (thanks) was from someone who focused on what he saw as Doctson being lackadaisical and not putting in enough effort or seemingly not trying hard enough (walking around, not chasing a fumble) while the others seemed to be focusing on his skill and performance in drills. So they could both potentially be correct at the same time.

 

The one you cited did talk about him rounding out his routes, but I haven't read that anywhere else from what I remember and in the clips I've seen of him so far he seems to be a lot crisper than he was last season. However, I will openly admit that him not being sudden enough in and out of his breaks last year was something I noted and was concerned about, so if he is indeed still doing it that would be problematic because that's one of the biggest things a WR should be improving from his first year playing to his second. 

 

The walking back and forth and not hustling stuff irks me, but I can live with it IF he's producing. The route running? That's the big concern for me. Josh is not the kind of guy that is going to get separation any other way. He's not to to block people out, he's not going to blow by people, and he's not going to out-quick them. So being a technical route runner is the only way he's going to be able to get consistent separation. And.....it doesn't look like that is happening, and then when you pair it with the lack of effort in other areas, it really concerns me.

 

Now, I have not personally seen much from TC this year. And I think I might have only seen one play that involved Doctson in passing drills (where he juked Norman badly), but I haven't seen anything else. So, I don't have any first hand evidence on how good or bad his route running is compared to last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, carex said:

 

the problem isn't that Perine is bad, it's that others are doing better. 

 

Looking at the list, my surprises are Quick over Davis, I've heard much more about Davis so far, and on the offensive line that Catalina is still one of the main backups.

 

what I'd really love is if some of these guys show enough the Skins could pull of a trade with them

 

One of the big issues with Perine is fumbles. That might be the fastest way to get into the doghouse. And, I was a little underwhelmed with him, he was not as strong as a runner as I thought he would be. He really didn't punish people that I expected.

 

34 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

 

Yea I want to see how Davis develops.. I mean Quick made some clutch catches for us last year but only had what 6 total? Even with our decimated receiving corps we didn't see enough of him. I mean in a perfect world, if we're gonna have a guy whose not going to see any playing time why not a young kid who could develop. I guess maybe Quick offers other things like run blocking..

 

I'm not sure why we didn't see more of Quick, but I remember he also suffered a concussion. Right now brings something we don't have elsewhere, a big body that can go over the middle and be physical. Davis is the same kind of player though, but I think he's more raw at this moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

One of the big issues with Perine is fumbles. That might be the fastest way to get into the doghouse. And, I was a little underwhelmed with him, he was not as strong as a runner as I thought he would be. He really didn't punish people that I expected.

 

This really bugged me about Perine last year. With his college cut ups and his much talked about strength I thought we were getting a super bruiser who might not be a home run threat but who would be absolutely punishing people right and left so I was astounded at how often he went down on first contact. Maybe it's a pad level issue, or a balance issue, and he needs to adjust but it really took me by surprise. His vision seemed to get better as the season went on but he never really developed into that "hit you so hard when you try to tackle him that your grandmother screamed out in pain" dude that I was hoping for.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

This really bugged me about Perine last year. With his college cut ups and his much talked about strength I thought we were getting a super bruiser who might not be a home run threat but who would be absolutely punishing people right and left so I was astounded at how often he went down on first contact. Maybe it's a pad level issue, or a balance issue, and he needs to adjust but it really took me by surprise. His vision seemed to get better as the season went on but he never really developed into that "hit you so hard when you try to tackle him that your grandmother screamed out in pain" dude that I was hoping for.

I think he realized guys in the NFL don’t go down as easy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mistertim said:

 

This really bugged me about Perine last year. With his college cut ups and his much talked about strength I thought we were getting a super bruiser who might not be a home run threat but who would be absolutely punishing people right and left so I was astounded at how often he went down on first contact. Maybe it's a pad level issue, or a balance issue, and he needs to adjust but it really took me by surprise. His vision seemed to get better as the season went on but he never really developed into that "hit you so hard when you try to tackle him that your grandmother screamed out in pain" dude that I was hoping for.

 

 

As much as I'm pulling for Perine, he doesnt have that FIRE and that NASTINESS in his runs.... All that time in the gym dont mean **** if you aint got the heart & testicles to match. Reminds me of those big for nothin 6'5 dudes on the basketball court, who let a 5'11 baller with all heart out hustle him and bully him on the court. Use to see it all the time. 

 

He hasnt played a down yet in this league, but Guice has that nastiness, fire, guts, and a dont gaf attitude when running the rock. He aint never scared. To bring him down, you have to bring him DOWN. Every run, he fighting until the play is over. That stems from his persona off the field. Even when he's laughing and joking, I can see it in him. He's completely comfortable, because he knows he's not afraid of anything. The hood has a way of doing that to a lot of ballers. Got nothin to lose regardless, **** it, go all out and give it your all, or it's back to the hood. My man Guice aint tryna go back LOL....

Edited by thesubmittedone
Rule 6, Don’t circumvent the profanity filters
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dyst said:

I think he realized guys in the NFL don’t go down as easy. 

 

I guess Big 12 "defenses" didn't put up this much resistance. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

 

 

As much as I'm pulling for Perine, he doesnt have that FIRE and that NASTINESS in his runs.... All that time in the gym dont mean **** if you aint got the heart & testicles to match. Reminds me of those big for nothin 6'5 dudes on the basketball court, who let a 5'11 baller with all heart out hustle him and bully him on the court. Use to see it all the time. 

 

He hasnt played a down yet in this league, but Guice has that nastiness, fire, guts, and a dont gaf attitude when running the rock. He aint never scared. To bring him down, you have to bring him DOWN. Every run, he fighting until the play is over. That stems from his persona off the field. Even when he's laughing and joking, I can see it in him. He's completely comfortable, because he knows he's not afraid of anything. The hood has a way of doing that to a lot of ballers. Got nothin to lose regardless, **** it, go all out and give it your all, or it's back to the hood. My man Guice aint tryna go back LOL....

 

I'm really excited about seeing Guice in action. I just hope he isn't sabotaged by the TEs.  Cuz we can say what we want about the upgrade at RB, but we didn't do jack to address the blocking.  It's the same cast of characters on the OL and at TE.  I don't wanna see Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis torpedo anymore run plays by not being able to do the bare minimum.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

I'm really excited about seeing Guice in action. I just hope he isn't sabotaged by the TEs.  Cuz we can say what we want about the upgrade at RB, but we didn't do jack to address the blocking.  It's the same cast of characters on the OL and at TE.  I don't wanna see Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis torpedo anymore run plays by not being able to do the bare minimum.

 

Great post. If Guice's talent lives up to the hype, then he will certainly produce more than the backs that they've had back there the past couple of years. However, TE run blocking has been a HUGE achilles heel for this offense and could prevent Guice from being even more effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a hypothetical, if we had somehow managed to keep Fuller during the Alex Smith trade, I would have been even more excited for this season. On another note, reading the tweet above. Kyshoen career is probably over, but having him still playing would have been sweet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Darc Requiem said:

Good to see the team giving Kyshoen Jarrett some coaching experience.

 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.