Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Thats the problem... if you wrap up chest to chest, the defender will either get called for going head first, or will have to stand straight up and down and get bowled over, hoping to bring the ball carrier down in theproces

Ball is up... goes off receivers hands causing his ribcage to be exposed.  Defender puts shoulder pad into ribcage... no helmet to helmet... textbook tackle... he gets penalized 

wow, that was a penalty??....they are ruining football...

36 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont dispute that at all... but he didnt lead with his helmet... the first point of contact was his shoulder.  Theres literally no way to run without your head being in front of you unless you're Forrest Gump.  The point of this rule is to make the game safer... but having guys forced to launch themselves perpendicular to the ground and essentially attempt to closeline them isn't exactly the best way to portray that.  Allowing a would be tackler to put the crest of his helmet where it meets the facesmask into a ball carrier is safest for both.  A 225 LB meeting a 225 RB int he hole and both attempting to have their heads off to the side, or make contact without their facemask pointed down is as dangerous as it gets.  The pendulum is going to swing to more defenders getting concussions, or having serious neck injuries if you don't allow them to carry any level of momentum into the point of contact.

I gather from youre (?) that you are apprehensive yourself about the rule yourself so I'm not exactly trying to come at you saying you're making an argument.  Your comment is 100% true that players need to play within the system, but this is just another piece of the puzzle that will destroy football, because kids will no longer play defense growing up, so the talent pool will dwindle.  

So I personally wouldn't have called that particular play a penalty, which is where my question mark comes from. As a fan, when you watch a game, you can tell a dangerous hit from a non-dangerous hit. I didn't necessarily think that was a bad hit.  Launching with your helmet, or trying to make blockbuster missile hits, should be removed from the game, especially as it pertains to the head or knees IMO. That is where it will take time for things to settle itself out.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

So I personally wouldn't have called that particular play a penalty, which is where my question mark comes from. As a fan, when you watch a game, you can tell a dangerous hit from a non-dangerous hit. I didn't necessarily think that was a bad hit.  Launching with your helmet, or trying to make blockbuster missile hits, should be removed from the game, especially as it pertains to the head or knees IMO. That is where it will take time for things to settle itself out.

I can understand that.  I never want to see anyone get hurt.  I do find a certain appreciation for a good, solid, legal hit, and at times they can be very violent looking.  My concern is when the penalty comes out that has clear, concise rules, but because of the 'violent appearance' of a hit, the refs are quick to apply a penalty to it.  The game is going 100000 mph so I understand that they can only see so much, so quickly, and they a have to make judgement calls, but I worry that these broad spectrum, judgement call style penalties are going to continue to diminish a lot of what has made football so exciting. 

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night but if that was any hint as to how secondary penalties will be called this year this will be the most miserable season of football I have ever watched.

The sad thing is I bet there won't be a reduction in injuries even with the new rule. All that will happen is the ref's will determine the outcome of games.

On that hit above, imho. 

Like everyone else says, it should not be a penalty. 

I can understand the ref in back thinking it might be a penalty. Regardless of who or where the flag was thrown, it should take less than 30 seconds to confer, have a very quick look, and denounce the penalty initially called. 

They have to start getting these things right. Too much money involved. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

This rule is just going to suck all the wind out of the Defense. Either that, or everyone is going to target the knees. I'm sorry, football is physical. Either that or we just might as well call it the NFFL. National Flag Football League. :P

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Pretty much everyone who has played the game or reports on it is blasting the new rule today, I'm not sure the NFL really thought this through and I hope they rethink things before the season starts.

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even last year, the helmet calls were ridiculous, so if this year is worse, it will be un-watchable.

Is the NFL about to kill the Golden Goose? Nah, they'll change real quick with fan and media backlash. 

Good god no ****..I know this idnt the thread for this topic but something needs to be done about the NFL getting so soft..I once went to a cage fight thing and I thought I was gonna puke my beer up..the way they were bashing each other's heads ugghh yukk.. football should be able to be...not that violent but more than it is..

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

The sad thing is I bet there won't be a reduction in injuries even with the new rule. All that will happen is the ref's will determine the outcome of games.

Exactly. The helmet to helmet stuff I can understand somewhat because that's something that certainly can lead to concussions (though they were way too loose with calling it last year...IMO it needs to be pretty flagrant to be called), but this won't reduce injuries. If they keep this rule it might as well become two hand touch.

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Thats the problem... if you wrap up chest to chest, the defender will either get called for going head first, or will have to stand straight up and down and get bowled over, hoping to bring the ball carrier down in the process. 

Ball is up... goes off receivers hands causing his ribcage to be exposed.  Defender puts shoulder pad into ribcage... no helmet to helmet... textbook tackle... he gets penalized 

Heads up football.  Once the defender lowers his head, it's a penalty.  

At least that's the way I see it.

The hit last night was not a penalty period. Refs will clean that up (mainly - there will always be bad calls).

But here is what is happening - defenders are going to have to learn to tackle not hit. We talk about tackling but it almost never happens in the NFL (or College). Defenders launch and hit rather than tackle. Arms are seldom used.

If you tackle properly using your arms and correct head position - behind not only in front of the ball carrier - and striking with the shoulder the head will almost never hit the ball carrier flush. At speed it will from time to time but if you keep your head up (see what you hit) it will be the face mask not the helmet that contacts.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/9/6/12341916/nfl-rugby-tackling-concussions-seahawks-falcons

Tackling is shockingly poor in the NFL. Habits will take time to change but this does not mean we are heading towards two hand touch. Or at least it doesn’t need to. It might be the end of the Sports Centre highlight reel hits but if that means fewer missed tackles then it might actually improve the game.

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

I'm 99% sure camp will be moving, probably to Ashburn, after this contract is up. Richmond has lost a lot of money ponying up for the facility and making $500,000 yearly payments. They wan't the Redksins to renegotiate that. Highly doubtful that'll happen. The part about wasting valuable practice days is not entirely accurate though. They have missed exactly zero actual practices due to weather. That's why they switched them to them to the AM exclusively, and do walkthroughs in the afternoon. Gruden said anytime that they wanted to, they have the option to do the walkthroughs indoors. I'm not exactly sure where, but I think they used the convention center in the past. For sure, the Ashburn bubble would be a much better option.

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are they not letting anyone in camp  for FA until 11:30 or not starting till then? Feel like I've always been able to get in before that.

85% chance of rain, any word on canceling?

It was 11:30 am last year. I feel like you're right though. I think they moved the time for gates to open back after one FA day when people were there very early, and a lot of people has trouble dealing with the heat. It's not going to stop people from getting there early and lining up for when the gates open, so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

Archived