Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Norman practices almost 20 pounds heavier than he plays? That's insane. I can't decide if its genius or idiotic

Well, judging by his play on the field when it counts, I’m going to go with genius. For now. :ols:  

Man, this was a fascinating read: 

I didn’t listen to the interview, but I probably should. Sounds like there’s a lot there. Either way, what Hoffman wrote was really illuminating in terms of what Reed has went through. 

Part of me is angry our medical staff either didn’t step in to prevent or gave him bad advice with taking the stem cell shot (they just seem too often at odds with players, and are an obstacle instead of support), the other part is super impressed with how they went about helping him recover.

It needs to play out, and I continue to be more annoyed with that part of the organization than anything else... but this was fascinating to read about. If it works, it’ll go a long way to making me feel better about how they operate. 

I promise, I do not have a mancrush on Danny Johnson. Yet. :ols: 

But I’m just worried about slot corner both starter and depth-wise, he was one of two guys Jay singled out at OTAs (I know, that doesn’t mean a ton), so any positives I hear about him mean a little more to me. 

Never forget the ridiculous Safety Drought of 2008-2016: 

It is nuts to think about. Feels like we’re in a good spot now there. Or at least a decent one. Finally, yeesh. 

Was as worried as one can get during TC (read: extremely little) about not hearing much from PRich, so was happy to see this:

The Redskins big free agent signing, receiver Paul Richardson, made some plays Sunday morning. On Saturday, Richardson was open deep but QB Alex Smith's pass was underthrown. Sunday, the two connected in the back of the end zone as Richardson caught a ball in traffic. He also caught another ball on a crossing route. The Redskins will take advantage of Richardson's speed by clearing out areas, allowing Jamison Crowder to run underneath to an opening. That also happened Sunday. CB Quinton Dunbar did break up a slant pass to Richardson.

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41025378-4

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I promise, I do not have a mancrush on Danny Johnson. Yet. :ols: 

But I’m just worried about slot corner both starter and depth-wise, he was one of two guys Jay singled out at OTAs (I know, that doesn’t mean a ton), so any positives I hear about him mean a little more to me. 

Among Hoffman's nuggets from camp from radio segments.

Danny Johnson > Stroman

Bryon Johnson he thinks is a borderline lock for one of the 4 running back spots.

Norman told him publicly and privately the Kirk stuff said on the field were taken totally out of context and he respects him including what he did on the contract.

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

As far as walking back to the huddle and not chasing after a recovered fumble I'm kinda meh on that. It really isn't that much of an issue to me, especially in training camp. Ideally I'd like to see more intensity from Doc but that just doesn't seem to be his personality. But he does seem to genuinely love football so as long as he gets it done when it counts that's all I care about.

I don't know. When I don't see effort or being competitive, I think it's an issue. At this level, he's going to need to have a lot of both, or he isn't going to make it. And with his already somewhat disappointing start, you'd think he'd be trying to show coaches that he's really working to get better.

4 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Man, this was a fascinating read: 

I didn’t listen to the interview, but I probably should. Sounds like there’s a lot there. Either way, what Hoffman wrote was really illuminating in terms of what Reed has went through. 

Part of me is angry our medical staff either didn’t step in to prevent or gave him bad advice with taking the stem cell shot (they just seem too often at odds with players, and are an obstacle instead of support), the other part is super impressed with how they went about helping him recover.

It needs to play out, and I continue to be more annoyed with that part of the organization than anything else... but this was fascinating to read about. If it works, it’ll go a long way to making me feel better about how they operate. 

Robert Henson routinely blasts them on twitter, citing two injury arbitrations he had with the team and won, along with very questionable injury rehab practices, ie running sprints a day after surgery and his stitches tore

Thats bad enough, then you start paying attention to the likes his tweets get.

It is exactly what we think it is.  There is no mystery.  Garbage organization is garbage.

I don't know much about Hogshaven but they had a nice little breakdown of each position based on the first 4 days of camp.

Full Article

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/7/29/17627480/redskins-training-camp-offensive-breakdowns-who-stood-out-and-who-needs-to-improve

QB: It’s clear Jay Gruden is smitten with Alex Smith at QB. Gruden made his frustration loud and clear during camp last year with Kirk Cousins checking down most of practice, to which #8 basically said tough luck-that’s how I work. As the 2017 season continued, Gruden reportedly bristled more and more at the thought of paying Cousins $25m/year. Smith is great on the move; he squares his shoulders on each and every throw, sets his feet like clockwork, and he possesses underrated speed and athletic ability. He gets to the edge quickly and decisively. As a result, he’s going to be great off-schedule. He has a slow throwing motion, but the ball hops off his hand and he throws some absolute ropes.

WR: This position group left the most to be desired in camp. When I say that, I’m being nice, because I am not confident at all in this group. Let’s start with the bright spots: Jamison Crowder, Brian Quick, and Robert Davis. It’s abundantly clear that Jamison Crowder is Alex Smith’s favorite target. While he isn’t Tyreek Hill, he will represent something Smith actually didn’t have in KC; a receiver that gets open at all levels of the field without depending on scheme. Crowder caught everything thrown his way at every level of the field. Quick was a pleasant surprise. He’s a physical receiver that plays the ball well in the air and found consistent success on intermediate posts, outs, and digs. He made several spectacular catches. Robert Davis looks like he’s gained significant weight when he has, in fact, lost 15 pounds. Either way, it’s clear he’s in much better shape and he looked good this week. He wasn’t just a one-trick pony running 9-routes on every play; he ran solid routes (though some of his breaks are too choppy) and caught passes on multiple routes at multiple levels of the field.

Who disappointed? Most notably, Josh Doctson. His nonchalance HAS to get on the coaches’ nerves and he drew more than one passive-aggressive ‘it’s the little things’ comment from a coach. It may just be his personality, but his effort appeared to be significantly lacking in comparison to his teammates. For a player in his position, with such an important year on the horizon, you’d hope he’d show some fire. Even when DJ Swearinger forced, and then scooped, a Doctson fumble in an 11-on-11 session, the receiver didn’t even pretend to chase/atone for his mistake. Slow walks back to the sideline after drops and weak effort in and out of his routes were all too apparent for most of the weekend. Again, it’s possible Doctson is a Marvin Harrison type; a guy that can show very little passion and produce on the field. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I don't know. When I don't see effort or being competitive, I think it's an issue. At this level, he's going to need to have a lot of both, or he isn't going to make it. And with his already somewhat disappointing start, you'd think he'd be trying to show coaches that he's really working to get better.

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between competitive and being fiery. A guy can be competitive but not necessarily loud and fiery...Art Monk comes to mind (not comparing Doc to AM, just talking about a Skin player who comes to mind as far as those attributes). A guy who goes out and does his job really well and competes and always wants to win but isn't necessarily a super fired up guy who lets his passion show in every single thing he does (a guy like Dez comes to mind).

I just don't necessarily think him not running after a guy in practice after a fumble recovery or occasionally not sprinting to the huddle in practice necessarily indicates a dude who doesn't care. Someone else mentioned that DJax was a dude who was sort of notorious for not really doing that stuff in practice but there's little doubt that he was a top notch competitor on game day.

Seems we've heard plenty about how Doctson loves football and is a competitor who always wants to win but has a relatively quiet personality.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between competitive and being fiery. A guy can be competitive but not necessarily loud and fiery...Art Monk comes to mind (not comparing Doc to AM, just talking about a Skin player who comes to mind as far as those attributes). A guy who goes out and does his job really well and competes and always wants to win but isn't necessarily a super fired up guy who lets his passion show in every single thing he does (a guy like Dez comes to mind).

I just don't necessarily think him not running after a guy in practice after a fumble recovery or occasionally not sprinting to the huddle in practice necessarily indicates a dude who doesn't care. Someone else mentioned that DJax was a dude who was sort of notorious for not really doing that stuff in practice but there's little doubt that he was a top notch competitor on game day.

Oh, I agree. You don't have to go around screaming all the time. I'm a big-time introvert. And I always look at guys like Barry Sanders and Art Monk, as "how you should play the game". That's being said..

I busted my butt when I played. I hustled, especially when I was not playing up to the standard I set for myself. (my biggest competition was me). There is a HUGE difference between being quiet, and being lackadaisical. And if you're not an elite talent that has already proven yourself, with a large amount of expectations on you, then you have to wonder about the guys motivation. Maybe he turns on during the game, but he hasn't shown that yet. I'd be concerned.

@MornebladeI agree that it could be a concern, which is why I said doesn't "necessarily" indicate a guy who doesn't care. I'd prefer to see him put forth that little extra effort but at this point I'm not going to label it as a huge issue for me, especially if he comes out and kills it this year, which I certainly hope he will.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

@MornebladeI agree that it could be a concern, which is why I said doesn't "necessarily" indicate a guy who doesn't care. I'd prefer to see him put forth that little extra effort but at this point I'm not going to label it as a huge issue for me, especially if he comes out and kills it this year, which I certainly hope he will.

Me too. But after the last 2 years, I'm not holding my breath. You'd think he would have something to prove. If he's just like, "meh", I don't see him making it. He's talented, but he's not that talented. He really has to work to beat guys, many that are at least as good of an athlete as he is, if not better.

I guess the whole Achilles thing, how it was handled by both him and the Organization was just.......bad. And it really tarnished my hopes for him. I was pretty excited when he was drafted. Now, I just see a guy that doesn't really want it.

27 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is the combination of TC and preseason games and practices longer this year, or does it just seem that way ?

Because it seems like there's usually only a week of TC before the 1st preseason game.

We have a full 2 weeks before our first game

It is an illusion created by the CAPITALS WINNING THE STANLEY CUP!

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Me too. But after the last 2 years, I'm not holding my breath. You'd think he would have something to prove. If he's just like, "meh", I don't see him making it. He's talented, but he's not that talented. He really has to work to beat guys, many that are at least as good of an athlete as he is, if not better.

I guess the whole Achilles thing, how it was handled by both him and the Organization was just.......bad. And it really tarnished my hopes for him. I was pretty excited when he was drafted. Now, I just see a guy that doesn't really want it.

If you think of last year as his first NFL season, he had an okay year, especially when you think about Pryor being his teammate.  I saw him open plenty of times when the ball wasn't thrown his way.  

He may not pan out, but there are plenty of reasons to expect  great things from him this year.

I took the family and a buddy of mine and his son yesterday to Richmond.

A couple of thoughts

1) Easy to get in and out of

2) Staff was friendly no issues

3) Alot of rookies/undrafted rookies signed for the kids, Gruden and Hogan did as well.

4) Norman stayed after practice and worked his tail off after getting burned a few times

5) Our Dline was putting pressure on the qb.

6) I like the addition of Richardson ! Boy if he can stay healthy watch out.

7) With a cooler weather day it was a great day to be there.

HTTR

51 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is the combination of TC and preseason games and practices longer this year, or does it just seem that way ?

Because it seems like there's usually only a week of TC before the 1st preseason game.

We have a full 2 weeks before our first game

I think it's just you...last year training camp started on 7/27 and the first game was on 8/10. 

9 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

If you think of last year as his first NFL season, he had an okay year, especially when you think about Pryor being his teammate.  I saw him open plenty of times when the ball wasn't thrown his way.  

He may not pan out, but there are plenty of reasons to expect  great things from him this year.

This is the part I don't agree with. I see more reasons to expect disappointment. I mean, the reports so far are:

1. not motivated

2. bad route running

That's not going to get it done. I mean, lets look at his history.

1. Year 1 - derailed by an Achilles injury that, has never been really diagnosed. What was actually going on?

2. Year 2 - Modest year. Showed some flashes, but also completely disappeared quite a bit. Didn't show the ability to separate.

3. Year 3 - Reports from TC indicate that he doesn't seem to be really interested in getting better. Not working hard on his craft.

So, I'm not really seeing a bunch of reasons to think he's going to be good, much less great. I mean, Laquan Treadwell is busting pretty bad too, so it might just be a really thin WR class.

Any one who has questions about Docston, should read these two articles:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/29/josh-doctson-standing-out-redskins-training-camp/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2018/07/29/josh-doctson-is-building-trust-and-turning-heads-at-redskins-training-camp/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2b6fa7d3211c

Might ease your concerns about him some if you stop focusing on one play in training camp. ☺

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Anyone know what's up with the Cooley radio show?  He used to go to TC and give updates and his impressions on guys.  So far, he's been absent from the radio program, and the program itself doesn't appear to be an every day thing either.

Cooley is almost always out on vacation most the entire month of July.  Kevin has been handling in his absence.  Now with Cooley returning today, Kevin was out on vaca.  He did allude to the fact that with the radio station transferring ownership, they aren't exactly guaranteed to remain a show together on the station.  He said he's about 80% certain they will but nothing is guaranteed at this time.

Archived