Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From NWA, who’s more successful: Ice Cube or Dr Dre?

Springfield

Ice Cube or Dr Dre  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more successful?

Cube has had a slightly broader reach (mainstream movies) but I think Dre has been much more significant. As others have mentioned, he discovered a couple other extremely influential artists, so he's basically had a huge impact on Hip Hop for 30+ years at this point. I also get that he literally sold out (with Beats) but he feels like he sold out a little less because he's not in corny family movies like "Are We There Yet"

DRE! 

Two different kinds of success, but they've both accomplished a lot.

Cube went into movies, with most of his earlier stuff being gold and most of his newer stuff being trash.  I think Cube's son is a better actor than he is.  Cube's new music is trash too, but he gets a pass because his old stuff is killer and he seems like a cool dude.

Dre has always been a behind the scenes producer guy and he's still pretty active with music.  His deal with Beats pretty much solidifies him as the most successful rapper in American history when talking $$$.  Dre's net worth is $800M, more than Snoop, Cube, and Eminem combined.   :o

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Dre has always been a behind the scenes producer guy and he's still pretty active with music.  His deal with Beats pretty much solidifies him as the most successful rapper in American history when talking $$$.  Dre's net worth is $800M, more than Snoop, Cube, and Eminem combined.   :o

I would bet that the richest rapper is Jay Z, as he's sold more albums, sold Roc-a-Fella to Def Jam, started a sports agency that represents Durant and a bunch of other big names, owns a chunk of Tidal, had a clothing line, and probably 50 other things I'm forgetting.  

And he married rich.  

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I would bet that the richest rapper is Jay Z, as he's sold more albums, sold Roc-a-Fella to Def Jam, started a sports agency that represents Durant and a bunch of other big names, owns a chunk of Tidal, had a clothing line, and probably 50 other things I'm forgetting.  

And he married rich.  

Good call, and yep Jay edged him out.  Jay-Z net worth of $900M to Dre's $800M.  I forgot how much Jay's involved with. 

Jesus, dude.  I can't even fathom that kind of money.  Like, what would you even do on your first day as a $900M'aire?

36 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Still wondering what the definition of success is

What is it to you?

To drunk me on a Saturday night it was just a non descript term to spark conversation.  Is success money?  Is it lyrical and acting accolades?  Is it name recognition?

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What is it to you?

To drunk me on a Saturday night it was just a non descript term to spark conversation.  Is success money?  Is it lyrical and acting accolades?  Is it name recognition?

I prefer in threads like these when the OP leaves it open as you did. Otherwise, the conversation and debate aspect withers away and someone could answer with a tangible fact to end the thread :)

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What is it to you?

Because its the question thats asked. So what is the viewpoint and mark as the more successful being? Are we being asked who has more money and does money make the success? 

Just now, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Because its the question thats asked. So what is the viewpoint and mark as the more successful being? Are we being asked who has more money and does money make the success? 

What's the point of a thread that asks "who is richer" between two famous people? Someone would find out the answer and then the conversation dies. This is more fun to gather opinions...

A lot more people would probably recognize Cube than Dre if you were to hold their pictures up side by side to a good sample size of the American public.  Most Boomers all the way down to Gen Z'ers who watch TV and movies regularly would probably recognize Ice Cube. 

With Dre, would not surprise me if it's mostly just Gen X and Millennials recognize him.  Especially if it weren't for him going viral over the headphones contract a while back. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What's the point of a thread that asks "who is richer" between two famous people? Someone would find out the answer and then the conversation dies. This is more fun to gather opinions...

Ok...which clarifies my point. What is the definition of success? Look at the answers...they say oh Dre is more successful cause hes richer by x amount. Is that the measuring stick? We too easily use money as the ruler but truth be told success is greater than money. 

Just now, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Ok...which clarifies my point. What is the definition of success? Look at the answers...they say oh Dre is more successful cause hes richer by x amount. Is that the measuring stick? We too easily use money as the ruler but truth be told success is greater than money. 

Which clarifies MY point. I think what is interesting is reading all the different opinions from different people as to their answer and why. Success to you might be name recognition while success to someone else might be net worth while success to yet someone else might be popularity at his height. It's fun to discuss and debate. 

Archived