Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Remember That Time..." Thread

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I'm part of that generation that grew up with Championship caliber Redskins Football (1980s) and I remember all of those classic moments so fondly. 

But how about this one?

It was the Monday Nighter that Denver came to town...you know, the game that was earmarked as the night Art Monk would Win the All-time Receiving Crown?

Not only did he, but (a decent) Broncos team was good natured enough to serve as our Homecoming Opponent as we beat the living crap outta them!  At Home, on National TV, in the days when playing on Monday Night meant something.

I still remember ol' 81 being hoisted in the air on his teammates' shoulders, as our hero.

That was a great moment in Skins Football History.

39 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Monk was still in his prime.  Clark was cool mostly because Muhammad proved a fail. Lots of our 1981-1984 mainstays were gone or were all but done.  So, I guess it is kind of a when was the last time you KNEW the Redskins would be good in spite of the fact that the roster was so full of question marks.

Yeah, this team "rebuilt" twice under Gibbs...1985ish and 1988/89ish...

In both cases we had a quick dip (1988 was the only sub-500 record he had before coming back) while we integrated new players. In both cases we were contending in about one year. Amazing. 

39 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

I'm part of that generation that grew up with Championship caliber Redskins Football (1980s) and I remember all of those classic moments so fondly. 

But how about this one?

It was the Monday Nighter that Denver came to town...you know, the game that was earmarked as the night Art Monk would Win the All-time Receiving Crown?

Not only did he, but (a decent) Broncos team was good natured enough to serve as our Homecoming Opponent as we beat the living crap outta them!  At Home, on National TV, in the days when playing on Monday Night meant something.

I still remember ol' 81 being hoisted in the air on his teammates' shoulders, as our hero.

That was a great moment in Skins Football History.

It was - I think we won something like 34-3. There was an effort to feed him the ball so he'd break the record in prime time at home. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It was - I think we won something like 34-3. There was an effort to feed him the ball so he'd break the record in prime time at home. 

No doubt about it. 

But it was still an iconic moment to me.  It was memorable to me because we destroyed a quality opponent in our backyard as a tribute (of sorts) to a great man who had a great career in The B & G.  Monk getting the record was great - but that night wouldn't have had the same luster had it come against the Lions, or some other bottom feeder.

I remember watching that game in my apartment in The Fan in Richmond working on a paper.  My friends from upstairs, tried to get me to go with them up to the game as they were going to get scalper tickets...this paper being due the next day, stayed home to finish.

They got up there, game started and then got seats for $20, even though they were a row behind each other.  Directly in front of them was my childhood hero, Joey T.  They got to shake his hand and see his big F***ing ring.  One of my friends said he was going to introduce himself as Scott Squirek, Jack's son...haha.

I got a D on the damn paper.  Let this be a lesson, go to the frickin game.

1989: No Dave Butz anymore, replaced by Tracy Rocker.  Olky was in his last year while Kaufman and Milot were already gone. Dexter's issues. No RB in 1988 and only hoped we had fixed them with an aging, fumble prone Riggs and a guy best known for fumbling away the chance for Cleveland to have a SB.  No known threat at QB other than Gibbs and the local press pumping up Rypien. Darrell Green would miss more than half of 1989!

1 hour ago, RFK Lives said:

I remember watching that game in my apartment in The Fan in Richmond working on a paper.  My friends from upstairs, tried to get me to go with them up to the game as they were going to get scalper tickets...this paper being due the next day, stayed home to finish.

I had a chance to buy tickets to the game....and that was back when getting the opportunity to go to an RFK game was a treat. But I was scheduled to work shift that evening, so declined.  Of course we are watching the game at work and I tell my supervisor that I had a chance to go.....he responds "and so you are here why??" 

1992 is another good "Remember That Time" topic. An up-and-down season after we had steamrolled thru the 1991 season. Late in the year, we beat the Cowboys at RFK in the emotional game where we forced Aikman to fumble in his own end zone. But then lost a close one at Philly, and then got beat by a mediocre Raiders team at RFK led by an ancient Vince Evans. It looked like we were doomed as far as playoffs...….our game was on a Saturday, and the Vikings had already wrapped up their division and playoff position, and were playing the Packers at home the next day. If the Vikings had lost, they would've had a repeat game in the wild card round against GB. I was so disinterested in the game and was at the mall or something and walked by a store with a TV and saw that Minnesota was thrashing GB and thought "Wow...….we are actually going to luck into this!"  The Vikings were rewarded by playing the defending Super Bowl champs and got destroyed thanks to a great all around game by Brian Mitchell. I'm glad Gibbs got this last solid win before we lost to the Niners and he retired the next spring. I wonder that if we hadn't made the playoffs that season, if he still would've retired. 

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

1992 is another good "Remember That Time" topic. An up-and-down season after we had steamrolled thru the 1991 season. Late in the year, we beat the Cowboys at RFK in the emotional game where we forced Aikman to fumble in his own end zone. But then lost a close one at Philly, and then got beat by a mediocre Raiders team at RFK led by an ancient Vince Evans. It looked like we were doomed as far as playoffs...….

I remember that Raiders game like it was yesterday. 

I was visiting my old man in Augusta, Ga over Christmas break - after my freshman year.  Him being a die hard Raider, I relished watching our beloved Skins showin' him how it's done in our house.  

Of course, The Redskins were Leading the majority of the game, as expected (in the glory days, we didn't blow it in a Win-and-you're-IN scenario in DC).  But I remember my father saying to me "we're just 2 plays from taking the lead" (yeah right!).

And wouldn'tcha know it?  A Long Pass, a Turnover (or some other calamity) & sure enough, the ****ing sorry ass Raiders beat us that day.  In RFK.

I was beyond shocked.  I...I couldn't process it.  Of course my Dad ate up that nonplussed, thousand mile stare in my eyes, validating the wisdom he shared with me when I just knew we had The Playoffs in the bag. 

Washington did qualify that year.  But as long as I live, I'll never forget that moment. 

The game's funny, ain't it?

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Remember the time Chris Cooley caught three touchdowns against the Cowboys to win me the fantasy football championship and $500?

We beat the dog **** out of the Cowboys in that game

I was at that game... a game I will never forget.  

One thing I'll say from that highlight is I think they left out just how much Sean Taylor was harassing that WR corps.  Isn't that the game he blew up Terry Glenn launching the ball about 10 yards that we all thought was a fumble but ended up being INC?  I think Keyshawn also got alligator arms at one point in that game and contracted a case of the dropsies. 

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ya that game above was bad ass....that was the game they were gonna come in and get revenge from the Monday night miracle and we whooped there ass!!

I love that we wore all white in order to force Dallas into wearing their Bad luck Blue uniforms

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I was at that game... a game I will never forget.  

One thing I'll say from that highlight is I think they left out just how much Sean Taylor was harassing that WR corps.  Isn't that the game he blew up Terry Glenn launching the ball about 10 yards that we all thought was a fumble but ended up being INC?  I think Keyshawn also got alligator arms at one point in that game and contracted a case of the dropsies. 

nope the game that Sean Taylor lit up Terry Glenn knocking the ball out was the week 4 game the Monday night miracle... Sealing the deal on the win

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

nope the game that Sean Taylor lit up Terry Glenn knocking the ball out was the week 4 game the Monday night miracle... Sealing the deal on the win

You're 100% right, but this play....

I want to say was from that game. 

18 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I wonder that if we hadn't made the playoffs that season, if he still would've retired. 

1992 was somewhat analogous to 1984 but we needed a larger rebuild.  Gibbs made a mistake trading up to get Desmond Howard and, even had he not, I don't know if that would have helped much. Modern FA was about to destroy how we refreshed in 1985-86 and 1988-89 along with the fact that small clubs did not like how clubs like teams like the Redskins used IR to develop players and extend roster size. We really would have needed a 1981-type draft and I don't think Gibbs/Casserly was anything like Beathard/(Gibbs). Further, Dallas was once again the dominant team in the NFC. Finally, a couple of players from the Gibbs teams told me they also felt Gibbs' didn't want to go through another rebuild.

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sorry ovcc you were right..haha so many highlights of Sean Taylor lighting up cowgirl players it's awesome..

No you were.  I was referencing the play on Monday Night originally where Taylor lit him up and forced the incomplete pass.  This one was different than the one I was thinking at first.... but still fun to watch :D

That home Dallas game in 2005 was probably the best one I've ever attended until the division-clinching SNF game in 2012. That atmosphere for the 2005 game was electric because I think it was the first time in FOREVER that both teams were competitive and truly playing for something in the same season...especially that late in the season. It was probably the most important Dallas game near the end of the year since the 1992 fumble game. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What about Andyman - who was around back in those days? 

I've been here since sometime during Marty's year (I think). Maybe it was 2002, but I'm almost positive I started running my mouth during the Marty season :)

I was... I actually joined in 2002 myself... if you click on your name it will show you the joined date

It says you joined May 2001

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

remember... yes

can i give you the context of it.... not a chance. 

IIRC it was a TK-ism meaning "if you don't correct your rectal-cranial inversion the ban hammer will fall" or something like that...

There was a lot more stupid on ES back then.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What about Andyman - who was around back in those days? 

I've been here since sometime during Marty's year (I think). Maybe it was 2002, but I'm almost positive I started running my mouth during the Marty season :)

I remember Andyman. Lots of debate over his true identity.

Do you guys remember Mass_SkinsFan? He was one messed up dude. I remember signing up in 2007 and having people send me hate DMs and attack me in threads. I was wondering what the hell was going on until I learned about the original Mass_SkinsFan. I particularly remember the discussion about whether he did or did not intentionally punch that baby. 

:table2:

46 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

IIRC it was a TK-ism meaning "if you don't correct your rectal-cranial inversion the ban hammer will fall" or something like that...

YEESS!!!!  I do remember that! 

19 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I remember Andyman. Lots of debate over his true identity.

Do you guys remember Mass_SkinsFan? He was one messed up dude. I remember signing up in 2007 and having people send me hate DMs and attack me in threads. I was wondering what the hell was going on until I learned about the original Mass_SkinsFan. I particularly remember the discussion about whether he did or did not intentionally punch that baby. 

:table2:

It was fun back then on the board between all the quirky things that used to happen.  I do miss paloffs is now.  Maybe I just don't see as many of the new quirky things since I'm getting older and cannot spend as much time here.  And yes, Mass_SkinsFan; an odd character to say the least.  I honestly think he was a nice guy who meant well but he just had all sorts of crazy views on politics, life, etc....  His posts were entertaining to say the least.  I am glad he at least had his hobby he was good at (historical reenacting).  

Archived