Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

Just now, tshile said:

I know, others do. The guy I was responding to. 

Trumps not campaigning in Florida every week for the past 5 years? Dude moved there he campaigns there so often. 😆

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

What is more fair than 1 vote anywhere in the US equaling another 1 vote anywhere in the US? I guess I dont get the argument against that being fair..

Its not fair to conservatives 😉

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

I too have strong opinions on the EC, but I'm pretty sure we have an EC thread already, before we get too far down that rabbit hole.

Well this is all very specific to the scotus situation and is part of the expanding the courts situation 

the micromanaging of thread discussions is obnoxious at times. This is how conversing works. 

Of this thread turned into weeks of just EC discussion that’d be one thing. An hour or two when it directly relates to how the latest scotus seat was filled? Come on. 

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What is more fair than 1 vote anywhere in the US equaling another 1 vote anywhere in the US? I guess I dont get the argument against that being fair..

No it’s not. 

Are you going to tell me now that you don’t understand the pitfalls of a popular vote system? There’s been lots done on the topic of voting systems. 

Just now, clietas said:

You've failed to explain or even list these pitfalls yet constantly reference them. Care to explain at all?

Go read up on it. It’s not hard. 

you could also use your imagination :) 

ps - I find it hilarious when people demand dramatic change then pretend they don’t understand the differences in what they’re discussing. Unless it’s not pretending then that’s whole different issue altogether. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, tshile said:

that’s petulant bull****. and if the Dems do it, I expect the republicans to do it better. Cause that’s how this crap usually goes. 

so I’d prefer we save expanding the court for reasons other than petulant bull****. 

if you want to name the nominations then win the elections. 

I'll let Rhode Island Senator Sheldon Whitehouse respond.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/travel-photos/whitehouse-warns-republicans-against-because-we-can-tactics/vp-BB1a3XAi

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Absolutely. Agree 100%

The problem is the republicans usually take the Dems latest tool and beat them over the head with it next time they get the chance. 

I generally prefer adults behave like a adults. 

but yeah it looks like everyone is embracing the “because we can” attitude all the way around. Then playing dumb when someone points out that’s a bad idea. 

or I guess right now you all are playing “because we think we can in a few months”

Just don’t come crying when the republicans expand the court by 2x what the Dems do cause thats exactly what they will do. 

Also don’t come crying if it turns out months of proposing sweeping changes across the board, including expanding courts because you don’t like the makeup as dumping the EC because you couldn’t win in 2016, turns a bunch of moderates and independents against you (I don’t think it will, just pointing it out)

What a crock of ****, Cuccinelli. Nothing Trump did to fill those seats is remarkable.  The vacancies fell into his lap due to the lying weasel Cocaine Mitch.  And the Federalist Society picked the nominees.  If left up to Trump he would have nominated Jeanine Pirro, Vince McMahon and Ivanka.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Are you going to tell me now that you don’t understand the pitfalls of a popular vote system? There’s been lots done on the topic of voting systems. 

Go read up on it. It’s not hard.

The pitfalls are mitigated by each state having two Senators regardless of population. The electoral college for President is an anachronism that needs to be reformed.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 1

Why does Trump get credit for filling vacancies that he did nothing to create?  I'm assuming he didn't tell McConnell to hold up Garland's nomination.  I'm assuming he didn't tell Kennedy to resign.  I'm assuming he didn't kill Ginsburg.  Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Why does Trump get credit for filling vacancies that he did nothing to create?  I'm assuming he didn't tell McConnell to hold up Garland's nomination.  I'm assuming he didn't tell Kennedy to resign.  I'm assuming he didn't kill Ginsburg.  Am I missing something here?

You're missing that he doesn't care one whit about judges and they need to stroke his ego so he will continue to be a good useful idiot and nominate the people they tell him to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

@tshile

What is the logic for upholding the Electoral College system?  We are all represented by the President, it is the one national candidate on all ballots.  It seems that the whole country should get equal voting power for the one position that is so important in a representative Democracy. 

I can live with the dilution of Senate vote as that is and was a legitimate compromise for the country.  But I have a harder time understanding the rational against popular voting for the President.  

Please enlighten me... 

A true democracy doesn't have representatives.  Everything is a public referendum, and the majority wins.  (Greeks started it.)

We're a representative republic, where we vote for people to vote for us.  If wealth and power weren't such a draw to those elected officials, we might actually get what we vote for and our elected representatives might actually do what we want and not be hung up by who contributed to their campaigns. 

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

because trump is a child and most people are stupid so it’s easier to create a cohesive message that rallies people around you this way, than to play on the nuances of it all. 

the smart republicans know McConnell engineered this entire thing. And they know exactly why he did it. They knew it at the time. And they’re cool with it because they understand that they sacrificed their short term morality (which none of their supporters give a **** about and it’s not like any Dems would suddenly consider voting for McConnell if he started showing true ethics and morals for his role) for long term dominance of the court. 

the same thing happened with the tax plan. Ryan wrote that with the help of other big republicans. Trump just signed it. 

to the dumb republicans it’s all because trump is a great President. 

actually thinking back on it and trying to be objective. The only thing trumps proposed of significance, that was his own, is a healthcare bill that no one has actually created and no one is actually working on. 

Because everyone smart enough to be tasked with the job wouldn’t take it because that’s a loser.

trumps the only dumb **** running around talking about it. And that’s why all of 0 has been done about it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Anyone read the PA and NC rulings today? 

Alito openly writing in his dissent that he is open to tossing ballots in PA even thought they comply with the directions given to voters by the PA SoS.

Democrats are absolute idiots if they are willing to sweat it out every four years in a game of “will the anti-democracy conservative justices change the rules to help Republicans”. 

It should be abhorrent to every single person who values democracy in this country what conservatives are doing in the courts this election.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Anyone read the PA and NC rulings today? 

Alito openly writing in his dissent that he is open to tossing ballots in PA even thought they comply with the directions given to voters by the PA SoS.

Democrats are absolute idiots if they are willing to sweat it out every four years in a game of “will the anti-democracy conservative justices change the rules to help Republicans”. 

It should be abhorrent to every single person who values democracy in this country what conservatives are doing in the courts this election.

i would treat the matter of the courts in a fashion that would make mitch a barney fife to my dirty harry

and on the side i'd make elon musk launch that pos pig clarence thomas and his crazy idiot wife into the sun

• Like 1