Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

Putting another far right ideologue could irreparably damage the United States of America. We already are seeing the fruits of a think tank level partisan Supreme Court. The likelihood of the Democrats retaking the Senate is quite small and so we could see a completely unchecked Trump. This is really, really bad.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/special-report-supreme-court-justice-anthony-kennedy-announces-retirement/

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

As bad news as this is, and it's potentially devastating to this country, Kennedy had already drifted far from his swing vote ways of late.    Hard to believe that the SC voted in favor of Gay Marriage with basically the same people (exchanging Scalia and Gorsuch) a few years back.

Just now, Cooked Crack said:

None of that no voting during an election year nonsense

Dems need to throw what weight they have around on this one. 

2 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

OMG THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bye:

/hyperbole

I know its going to get a bit silly with the reactions. But your post here makes me think you dont understand exactly what is on the line for us. 

• Like 4

Let's not forget that Ginsburg is definitely in her waning years.  We'll be lucky if she holds out for Trump's entire first term.  I don't think she lasts through 2020 if Trump is re-elected.

If Robert Mueller has something up his sleeve, July 1st would be a great time to reveal that ace card.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

As bad news as this is, and it's potentially devastating to this country, Kennedy had already drifted far from his swing vote ways of late.    Hard to believe that the SC voted in favor of Gay Marriage with basically the same people (exchanging Scalia and Gorsuch) a few years back.

Kennedy is a Reagan appointee and conservative on all issues except privacy (which includes gay and abortion rights).  He ****ing wrote the opinion in Citizens United.

That said, Trump will almost certainly nominate someone terrible that doesn't even give a **** about the law, just votes hard right every time. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Supposedly Trump will pick from his previous list.

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Say goodbye to Roe

highly unlikely, though addressing what Roe punted on is coming even w/o a change in SCOTUS.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I'd rather have the orange nominate you over creepy Ted.

I do look good in a robe

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

Would be funny (at first) though if some celebrity were to talk Trump's ear off and get nominated to shock everyone.

Kayne West?

• Like 1

It ain’t hyperbole. It’s understatement. Checks and balances is the best idea the founders came up with. We have seen this Congress is a bunch of lap dogs without any backbone whatsoever. SCOTUS was the only check left and even if they have become overly partisan there was still some hope of Constitution-based rulings. If we get another think tank ideologue that’s out the window. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

It ain’t hyperbole. It’s understatement. Checks and balances is the best idea the founders came up with. We have seen this Congress is a bunch of lap dogs without any backbone whatsoever. SCOTUS was the only check left and even if they have become overly partisan there was still some hope of Constitution-based rulings. If we get another think tank ideologue that’s out the window. 

That cuts both ways.

Elections have consequences.  Swing of the court wasn't enough to convince enough voters in battleground states to pick Clinton.  I wonder if there are more single issue voters against Roe than for.  In any event, Roberts may swing to preserve Roe, but undo any meaningful protection under Casey (which would be a worse result politically for pro-choice because people will think that abortion is still legal, when in all practical effect, it won't be).  

So will GOP allow abortion in case of rape or health of the mother?  If all abortion is murder, I'm not sure how you can justify that distinction.  A parent can't abuse a child because the child was conceived as a result of rape nor can a parent pluck an organ from their child for the parent's benefit right?  

• Like 1