Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Debt can make you susceptible to blackmail and bribery. Good information to have for a guy who's going to get a lifetime appointment.

I’m sure you can point us to your investigation of Sontamayor and Kagans finances too right?

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

I’m sure you can point us to your investigation of Sontamayor and Kagans finances too right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/06/us/politics/06assets.html?nytmobile=0

http://time.com/money/2792602/sonia-sotomayor-a-spender-not-a-saver/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-kagan/supreme-court-nominee-kagan-is-a-millionaire-idUSTRE64H6UN20100518

I'm sure you can do a quick Google search too. Like I said it's interesting and the more information the better. Now let's find out who these friends that paid him back were.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Fair point...was this looked at back then?  I remember not being a fan of Obama's judges at the time, but not what was looked at.

I do notice some articles about her (Sontamayor) finances that seem to be from after she got onto the court.

Edited by visionary

It seems like a lot of CC debt but a lot of people are financially illiterate. 

Not a fan of this article being written unless you're connecting his debt to some sort of tangible issue. This isn't Manafort's debt to Deripaska for example. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, visionary said:

Fair point...was this looked at back then?  I remember not being a fan of Obama's judges at the time, but not what was looked at.

I do notice some articles about her (Sontamayor) finances that seem to be from after she got onto the court.

I liked (and still like) Kagan. And I think Sontamayor is a studious albeit liberal jurist. 

I cant remember any craziness about their finances etc.  

people opposed them for partisan reasons. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Good lord the left has completely jumped the shark.  

The entire platform and vision for the united states is `trump is putins puppet and likes to get peed on by prostitutes`.  Thats really the extent of it

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I liked (and still like) Kagan. And I think Sontamayor is a studious albeit liberal jurist. 

Yeah the dumb wise Latina crap

11 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

They were looked at though and stories were even written.  It doesn't look like there was anything out of line with their financials though.  There are even stories written on them now that they are on the Supreme Court.  It seems they regularly have file financial disclosure forms.  None of them just have anything particularly interesting in them (other than they are all mostly rich).  To have a Supreme Court nominee or justice that has a large amount of debt seems unusual.

@nonniey has a point about how WaPO has reported and how they are counting his house (which isn't clear completely), but I would say for 40+ professionals it isn't unusual to be in a situation where your assets out strip your debt.  Without even counting the equity we have in our home, my wife and I have cash/investments that are greater than our debt.

This board trends lower than 40+.

Essentially, our only debt is our house, and we owe less on it than we'd get it we sold it (we could sell today, take the money and pay off the mortgage and have money left over from the sale), but even ignoring that equity and taking into account the debt of our mortgage, we have less debt than we have invested counting our 401Ks and our IRAs (but not counting the 529s).

Edited by PeterMP

17 hours ago, JCB said:

Interesting piece by one of our best constitutional scholars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/opinion/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-trump.html

Ultimately, it appears Cavanaugh is the best of the 4 choices Trump whittled the decision down to. Dems could fight it, but then get another nominee who may be like an Alito. They'd be wise right now to pass him because they're likely not going to get the votes to flip this confirmation. There's no guarantee they flip the Senate come November either. This was a good piece. Certainly it could be viewed as biased since Cavanaugh was one of the writer's students. However, Dems need to be smart here, which they have not done so well in recent years. 

• Like 3

The guy is clearly qualified, though I think Thulpar or Hardiman would have made me less worried.  In any case there is a lot of history to go through first before people can decide how to vote.  You never know what might turn up in his work for Bush for instance.  

6 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Ultimately, it appears Cavanaugh is the best of the 4 choices Trump whittled the decision down to. Dems could fight it, but then get another nominee who may be like an Alito. They'd be wise right now to pass him because they're likely not going to get the votes to flip this confirmation. There's no guarantee they flip the Senate come November either. This was a good piece. Certainly it could be viewed as biased since Cavanaugh was one of the writer's students. However, Dems need to be smart here, which they have not done so well in recent years. 

There seems to have been a number of centrists or people left of center who know  him, putting out articles or tweets on his behalf the past few days, mostly about what kind of person he was. 

I'm just glad he didn't nominate a TV personality or something. 

It's really a shame what the tired turtle did in 2016. Garland should have been reviewed and confirmed with 80+ votes and then the same for Cavanaugh now. The process is so broken.