Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

18 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I think much of the hysteria is related to a few things:

1.  The treatment and behavior of Kavanugh vs. Ford in the hearing.  

2.  BK's apparent lies/incorrect statements with no apparent consequences 

I can agree that these things above are problematic for BK, and could potentially be good reasons to seriously question his confirmation, if not flat out deny it.  I haven't watched / read enough in detail to compare his statements against some of the evidence for me to conclude he specifically lied about things.  I can certainly agree that he was being evasive, but in some ways, I can understand why.  Whether the accusations against him were true or not, they were already being assumed to be true by lots of people.  If he openly admitted the amount of drinking and other dumb stuff he did as a teenager, that would have been enough evidence in a lot of people's minds to prove to themselves that he did do the things he was accused of.

To answer others as to why I use the term Hysteria.  We have a large segment of the population that have been led to believe that it is a 100% fact that BK was a serial sexual predator.  Those people are hysterical about the notion that our country would put such a person on the Supreme Court.  They are stopping politicians and yelling at them while breaking down crying.  They are talking about how this is the darkest days of our history.  How the me too movement has failed, etc.  

18 hours ago, PeterMP said:

3.  Coupled with that he was appointed by Trump with Trump's history and his actions yesterday.  And I don't think women's responses to Trump are really partisan.  They aren't responding to Trump in the manner they do because he's a Republican, but because he has a history of statements that suggest that he doesn't respect women.  Unless we want to say that you can grab women by the **** is a Republican thing now, it isn't really partisan.

As has been pointed out, this same situation didn't play out over Gorsuch who was another Supreme Court nominee.  There's no real reason to believe that there would be greater parisian hype with respect to Kavanugh vs. Gorsuch.

I agree that people's reaction to Trump from a sexual offender point of view is not partisan.  The guy is a dbag, ahole.

You're right about the Gorsuch nomination.  The difference with BK is that this nomination will tip the balance of power in the Court and we are close enough to the election for a stall to work.  I do think that there is politics at work in how the dems handled the timing of this info on BK, but I don't think it was necessarily something they started planning from the moment they received the info.  It would have been a lot better if this issue was dealt with by the Judiciary Committee when it first got to Feinstein and that they worked in a bipartisan manner, behind the scenes, to determine if the Ford accusation had merit and did some real digging at that time.  That was a failure of the system for Ford, BK, and all of us.

• Like 1

I suggest you look up the historical definition and use of the word "hysterical". It's pretty misogynistic.

And the psychological remedy for hysteria was digital stimulation of women's sex organs to orgasm. I call that sexual assault.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

All those who think that a single Republican senator is going to vote against Kavanaugh for being partisan?  

It's really disheartening, but I'm gonna guess no.  Which is a damn shame because I really hope there is no one in America who can honestly say Kavanaugh is the best conservative jurist we have for the Supreme Court.  I don't think it's even close.

If for some reason Kavanaugh is going to be voted down, I think there will be a few more defections from the GOP than we currently know about. I doubt he gets voted down, but I do think there is truth that some of these GOP senators really don't want to be the vote that puts him over the top. 

I don't buy it. The emotion of the moment did not get to Kavanaugh. His opening, prepared comments were a partisan, conspiracy laden tirade. He wrote and edited that in the cool confines of his office or home. By his own testimony he'd been carefully editing it even to the point that he ignored Dr. Blasey Ford's testimony to make sure he got it right.

He said what he wanted to say, how he wanted to say it. The part about him seeking revenge, the part about Clinton conspiracies, every unhinged, non sober, unjudicial utterance was what he thought he should say and what he thought was the appropriate way to act.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1