Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Players Snubbed From NFL Top 100 List For 2018

samy316

ESPN 980 had an interesting discussion this morning about the NFL Network's Top 100 list that comes out every summer ranking players from the previous year.  Only one current Redskin made the list (Trent Williams) at #57.  If you want to be technical, Kirk Cousins ranked #93 on the list, but he plays for the Vikings now.  The big discussion this morning was the snub of Ryan Kerrigan from the list, and more importantly, Alex Smith.  Now, in the case of Ryan Kerrigan, he hasn't been on the list for the last 2 seasons, even though he's second in the NFL in sacks since coming into the NFL with 71 sacks (JJ Watt is #1).  I think the more egregious snub though, is Alex Smith.  He had the highest QB rating last year for any QB in the NFL, and had over 4K yards passing.  His snub is even more strange, when you think about the fact that Smith was on the list last year, with coming off a season nowhere close to the one he had in 2017.

This goes to a greater question that I think is valid.  Is this team really as talented as we fans think it is?  Our lack of stars, or A-Level players really reflects on platforms such as this, as well as prognosticators always picking the Skins to always finish 4th in the division each year. What do you guys think?

It's important to remember how they're chosen.  It's not who are the best 100 players.  Players are sent ballots around Pro Bowl ballot time and they, if they participate (I think it was like 25% participated a couple years back), they list their top 20 players.

First gets 20 points, second gets 19 points, etc.  It's not a great method.

I personally think it's a combination of a couple of things.  First, we're not exactly the most "liked" team in the media, or other fan bases.  This has mostly been the cause of having Dan Snyder as our owner.  We became a MUCH more unlikable team once he took over in 1999.  This permeates all over, because once the media dislikes you, other teams' players start to take notice.  The other thing that contributes to this is our inability to grab A-Level players through the draft, or through free agency.  We're a boring team, especially when we're bad.  Other teams who might be just as mediocre have at least one player who fans can name, or watch at least for fantasy purposes.  We have literally NO ONE who attracts attention to our team for the casual fan.  We don't have an A.J. Green, or a Le'Veon Bell, or a Julio Jones or a Todd Gurley, or a Von Miller that other teams fans can point to and say that's a game breaker either on offense or defense.  We might have some B-Level players, but no offense to them, we seem to have the most boring guys in the league playing for us personality wise.  Kerrigan is low key,  Jordan Reed is low key, and offensive lineman are not marketable anyways.  Our most marketable player overall is Josh Norman, and we were lucky to bring him in as a free agent at the last minute.

Maybe things change with Guice, and we finally will have our A-Level player that people can point to, but until then, we're a mediocre franchise with the deadly sin of being a boring team on top of it.

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

This goes to a greater question that I think is valid.  Is this team really as talented as we fans think it is?  Our lack of stars, or A-Level players really reflects on platforms such as this, as well as prognosticators always picking the Skins to always finish 4th in the division each year. What do you guys think?

I think we generally overvalue players we like.  Kerrigan is a solid player but he's not a guy to take over a game against top competition.  We don't really have guys like that and haven't for a loooong time.  We get  decent player here of there, but never a real stud.  I think TW is closest to that but he come with off field issues.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait....Trent Williams? Off the field issues? He hasn’t done anything to get himself suspended since what, 2014? 

That was a pretty stupid thing to get caught doing.  Especially given how easy it is to do it and still avoid being detected.  Then last off-season he decides to go vegetarian, and comes in light . Huge talent just does things that make you scratch your head.  

4 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Brandon Scherff was the biggest snub for this team.

I think Alex Smith is right there, clearly a top QB last year and better than about three that made it. 

It's a worthless subjective opinion piece that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I think we generally overvalue players we like.  Kerrigan is a solid player but he's not a guy to take over a game against top competition.  We don't really have guys like that and haven't for a loooong time.  We get  decent player here of there, but never a real stud.  I think TW is closest to that but he come with off field issues.

Jalen  Ramsey thinks Kerrigan  was snubbed. :) 

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0093-847915bdfe5c

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Jalen  Ramsey thinks Kerrigan  was snubbed. :) 

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0093-847915bdfe5c

Props to Jalen Ramsey.

And let me say this.  It makes me furious that Michael Irvin is able to do any type of analysis for the NFL.  He is the poster boy for conflict of interest.  All he does is praise Cowboys all the time.  Before he even had a chance to say who was snubbed.  I said to myself, "I wonder if Michael Irvin is going to be unbiased here and not pick a Cowboy."  And wouldn't you know it, after he makes a smokescreen pick, he picks Sean Lee.

I hate the guy.  And I mean it. 

Hof44,probably less than half of the players on the list are takeover game type  players. I believe there are three other Redskins that should be on the list  Scherff,Kerrigan,and A.Smith should be on that list. I’m looking for another Smith to make the the jump this year. P Smith is close.

12 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I think Alex Smith is right there, clearly a top QB last year and better than about three that made it. 

It's a worthless subjective opinion piece that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It's arguable that Smith, going forward, is a better QB than the ones listed (although I highly disagree with how they were ranked), but there's no way you could put David DeCastro at #44 on this list and not include Scherff somewhere.

15 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait....Trent Williams? Off the field issues? He hasn’t done anything to get himself suspended since what, 2014? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000732371/article/redskins-trent-williams-suspended-four-games

That said, the biggest snub I see is Brandon Scherff.   Problem is that like others have mentioned, this isn't actually a rating of players from 1 - 100, it's based on voted of the top 20, which would explain why you can't look at it like someone is the 45th ranked player in the NFL.  Scherff plays guard, so he's not a 'sexy' pick as a player, but the dude is one of the best o-linemen in the NFL.  

List or no list we don’t have enough good players to do anything but be up or down a game from .500.  The NFL is a players league. Under this regime we have never had enough good players. Some seasons it seems like it might be coming together then something screws it up. That’s the only recurring pattern.  

No doubt that a teams own fans overvalue it's players.  But I also believe that getting individual credit comes after team success.  I'm feeling too lazy to go back and compare this year's list to last year's, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a lot more eagles made it this year than last.  Now are those players individually that much better than last?  Some maybe, but not all, but they will only get individual credit after success as a team.  That's why I take these lists with a grain of salt.  They are interesting, but the list should be called best players of last year, not the upcoming year, as there is such a strong recency bias.

Like others above have already said, I'm very surprised smith and scherff didn't make it.  But I'd rather have the skins flying under the radar than be over hyped.  I hope the pundits pick us to finish fourth in the east.  I hope the league looks past us, because this can be a playoff team.  

As far as your question whether the Redskins have enough A-level players to be a good team, I think the Redskins will be good based on a high number of B-level players leading to depth and balance across the roster. I don't believe you need a number of A-level players to be a great team.  I think depth and balance are more essential. I will also use the Eagles as an example of that; while they do have a couple studs, I think their success lies in the fact that they didn't have a particularly weak unit on that team. 

If the skins make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see A smith, Williams, scherff, Reed, Allen, brown, kerrigan, and Norman being strongly considered for the list.  Maybe even Moses, Payne, swearinger, and p smith.  And it won't be because these players became good players overnight, but because they will now be getting recognized because of the teams success. 

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

The NFL is a players league.  

To a certain degree, but it is also very dependant on coaching or scheme.  Matt Cassel in the Patriots system is going to get a lot more votes for top 100 player than Matt Cassel in the chiefs or Vikings system.  A rb running behind Dallas o line is more well positioned to be ranked higher than a rb running behind one of the weaker o lines.  

While I think we had the personnel to succeed in Jay's scheme offensively, I feel we didn't get players ranked from the offensive side due to teams overall lack of success, even though scherff and Reed (health being key factor) have had considerable success in the scheme.  I feel their exclusion is based on teams lack of success mainly rooted in the fact the defense has been a dumpster fire.  Now that we have a solid NT to run the scheme effectively, now we will put our talented players in position to succeed, and hope team success, and with that individual accolades shortly after, will follow.  So I do believe it's not just players, it's the scheme / coaching that have a huge impact on performance / success.  

46 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

There are 32 teams, so that's only three players per team on average.  But the Redskins are a below average team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000938387/article/teambyteam-breakdown-of-top-100-players-of-2018

Go through this list and tell me which QB you would cut for Smith, which LB for Kerrigan, and which RG for Scherff.

Ngakoue (88 on list) is comparable to kerrigan.  If the skins and jaguars switch records, kerrigan makes the list and ngakoue doesn't.  And ngakoue had a better supporting cast around him to help his stats.   That's why these lists are more for entertainment than an actual reflection of the best players.  If you asked GM's around the league, which edge rusher would you prefer to add to your team for a big game right now, I'd be shocked if a majority chose ngakoue over kerrigan.  

And if you step aside from comparing within a certain position, would any gm select Hyde over scherff for a must win game tomorrow? No way.  Give me scherff and a JAG at RB over Hyde and a JAG at guard any day of the week.

Archived