Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Non" Mt Rushmore Symbols of the Dan Snyder Era

hail2skins

I remember a thread from the past asking folks to name the Mt Rushmore of the Skins. A comment in the Dan Snyder thread on this page got me to thinking.....who are the people, be they players, coaches, front office, or other folks that have been symbols the close to 20 years of largely misery that we have been since 1999. Yes, I know, the Skins were bad to mediocre in the six seasons after Gibbs left the first time and Snyder took ownership of the team. But that is one-fourth of the time since Gibbs 1.0......Snyder owns the rest. Here are a few that come to mind:

1) Vinny.  Snyder's first pseudo-GM hire and gets brought back after Marty gets canned and Bobby Beathard falls through the cracks. Was the whipping boy for Skins fans during Snyder's first decade.

2) Larry Michael: took over the radio play-by-play duties from the bellowed Frank Herzog of the glory days. Larry might be a nice guy in person and not do a bad job in the booth, but his Redskins Nation schtick makes him come off as a serious organizational brown-noser.

3) RG3: even though the team who got the picks from us has had no success either, the hype that this guy brought that just fizzled in relative short order......yeesh!  And he has continued an injury-plagued career since leaving here and even his personal "look at me" tribulations have not lived up to what we thought we had with him.

4) Tony Wyllie: not sure if I should include him, but the Skins PR operation has at times seemed ham-handed. Plus dragging Colt McCoy off the field after the Dallas MNF win and doing the same with the kicker after the London game.

I guess a symbol, not a person, would be the disfigured upper deck of FedEx Field due to the several instances of seat removals that have occurred this decade.

Who or what are your symbols of this era of blah?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I generally don’t like to pule on, but...

1. Vinny

2. Albert Haynesworth

3. Deion/Jeff George/Bruce Smith/ all the other 2000 over the hill gang

4. Spurrier

This is it, done!

Honorable Mention : Zorn

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I don't like giving Zorn grief either but can see where people can see him as a symbol, being the outcome of that hamhanded coaching search zone in early 08.

Fair enough...just can’t let go of that “swinging gate” trick play fiasco...

19 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Sometimes I think people around here actually enjoy being sad.

It beats feeling nothing at all, I say. 

Anyway, my anti-Rushmore picks? Pretty much the same as everyone else: Snyder, Cerrato, Spurrier, and...

George Preston Marshall: but it should be chiseled in his older likeness.

He brought the team to Washington from Boston and hired Ray Flaherty as head coach. As cantankerous as Marshall was, he would (begrudgingly) leave Flaherty alone and the team had a run of success they wouldn't have for another 50 years (he still has the highest winning percentage of any team coach and is 8th all-time in the NFL). Flaherty was a commissioned Lt. in the U.S. Navy and fought during WWII and took a leave of absence from the team - his last game with the 'Skins was the '42 Championship, which the 'Skins won 14-6 but when he came back...

He was startled in 1946, at the war's end, to be told by Marshall that the job he presumably was returning to was no longer his. Marshall had meanwhile hired Arthur "Dutch" Bergman, former coach at Catholic University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1994/07/21/ex-redskins-coach-flaherty-dies-at-90/80fbc18d-6056-4320-9b9f-c23405c20cac/?utm_term=.c57299f0cc40

What followed was a pathetic string of yes-men and ex-jocks Marshall could use, abuse, and throw out once he was done with them. That, along with his infamous racial policy and his ability to alienate people (like his wife and the marching band's first direct - who also wrote the fight son) - well, I'd say the last 20 years of GPM's tenure as the team's coach should put him in the "anti-Rushmore" for this team for sure. Yes, he created the team and brought them to Washington but he damn near ran them into the ground and got them shipped off to Dallas. 

22 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Vinny

2. Albert Haynesworth

3. Deion/Jeff George/Bruce Smith/ all the other 2000 over the hill gang

4. Spurrier

I pretty much agree with this list. There is nothing positive from any of these. Sadly there is so much competition for a spot on a list like this. But I have zero positive memories from anyone on this list.

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

1. Vinny

2. Albert Haynesworth

3. Jeff George

4. Adam Archuleta

I lumped the entire 2000 group together because ALL of them were bad, and the whole lot of them were a symbol together. I think it’s impossible not to have spurrier on the list.  

If if I had to pick one of the 2000 guys as the worst symbol, it would be George. QB who we didn’t need, locker room cancer, divisive, owner fired a coach because he was unwilling to play the guy, etc. 

Archuletta was bad, but not Jeff George bad.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Archuletta was bad, but not Jeff George bad.  

I don't know, I'd probably switch Archuletta with Norv Turner. OK, he got the team playing pretty good at the end of his bit here, but the previous years were pure boredom. It's the only era that I would fall asleep during Redskins games.

Edit: Ooops, sorry. I forgot the heading stated Snyder era. I'd still put him on though if it meant since the Super Bowl era.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Vinny

2. Albert Haynesworth

3. Marty Schottenheimer

4. Spurrier

I like your list, but I'd replace the 2000 bust FA class with Marty since that was the start of the 'what if?' for me. What if Marty was given another season after he turned the team around from the undisciplined losers Norv gave him?

First of all, the entrance to the visitors center at mount rushmore would be a very large swinging gate.

I think the only unanimous choice is Vinny.  From there, it gets more difficult.  Here are a few

Albert Haynesworth.  This is the biggest FA bust in NFL history and so symptomatic of a team that watches Sportscenter to scout players.

Brad Johnson.  The SB winning QB that Danny showed the door to.  Although Jeff George might be a better choice

Pepper Rodgers.  That this guy was on the payroll, just...

Dave McKenna.  The documenter of all things

Art.  Every regime needs a PR guy.

Jim Zorn.  See swinging gate, above

I dont include spurrier because it would be too hard to carve a visor out of bedrock

Haynesworth leading out the monument... The GW of the piece, what all Redskins failures can be measured against

RG3 without doubt... Abe Lincoln of the piece. Great divisions personified his tenure

Spurrier... Teddy Roosevelt, didn't fit in with the 'epic level' failures on this piece but an epic failure for sure. Gets on by being in wrong place at wrong time

Dan Snyder himself... Thinker, business man, executive... MORON in all the above. Takes the antithesis role to Thomas Jefferson

yeah... i don't see how ANYONE doesn't have snyder himself on this rock?

Syder

Haynsworth

Vinny

and ...

<useless old empty jersey>      

just to represent all the old "names" brought in when they were just empty Jerseys, here is the iconic picture of YA Tittle when he is like 40 years, kneeling helpless and bloodied in the endzone  

a5uaoUGnGIEIrk1-ZKQK9Qt-zz3g37EZ8gGQPoCd

(Dion was the worst of the worst of this group, as far as i am concerned... he was no good as a player anymore, and useless on the field  while he was still expensive (like all of them)   BUT he was still very successful at continuing to be an annoying prick AND he had made his name on the  Dallas ****ing Cowboys -- back when he was still a good player) 

Archived