Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: NY AG sues Trump family over “persistent illegal conduct” at Trump Foundation


Recommended Posts

Donald Trump lawsuits and investigations: Six headaches for the former president

 

Donald Trump may have breathed a sigh of relief from his Florida resort when he was acquitted by the US Senate over the weekend, but he is now facing an avalanche of lawsuits, inquiries and criminal investigations.

 

The former president is finding himself being bombarded with legal challenges from every angle as he looks to wind down after his four years in power.

 

In total he faces six major hurdles so far, including a ‘9/11-type commission’ into the Capitol riot, a criminal investigation into his loans and lawsuits from women who accused him of sexual assault.

 

During his presidency, Mr Trump’s lawyers repeatedly invoked immunity and executive privilege to keep him from having to testify – but once again a private citizen, he’s now far more vulnerable.

 

There may be other legal challenges yet to surface against the former president, and this week he has been served a taste of what’s to come in his post-politics life.

 

The latest challenge came overnight with civil rights organisation the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People filing a federal lawsuit against him and Rudy Giuliani, accusing the duo of conspiring to incite the January 6 riot.

 

Adding to Mr Trump’s ever-growing to-do list, Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic Speaker of the House of Representatives, called on Monday for the creation of a 9/11-style Commission to look into the January 6 attack.

 

Mr Trump is also facing possible state and federal charges related to the riot. In the days that followed it, Washington D.C. Attorney-General Karl Racine said the former president could face prosecution and that his office was working with federal prosecutors on the case.

 

The 74-year-old former president is already the target of at least one criminal investigation, led by Manhattan prosecutor Cyrus Vance, who has been fighting for months to obtain eight years of his tax returns.

 

People familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal that more than $US280 million ($A360 million) in loans taken out by the former president for Trump Tower; 40 Wall St; Trump International Hotel and Tower; and Trump Plaza are being examined.

 

What began last year as an investigation into an alleged hush money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels has grown into a wider probe of what Mr Vance’s office has described as “possibly extensive and protracted criminal conduct” at Mr Trump’s business, including allegations of bank and insurance fraud.

 

Last week, a prosecutor in Georgia revealed she was investigating Mr Trump’s efforts to subvert the state’s results in the November 3 election by pressuring Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to “find” enough votes to overturn the results.

 

To top it all off, Mr Trump is additionally fending off civil lawsuits, including from two women who have alleged he sexually assaulted them and are suing him for defamation.

 

At least 26 women accused Mr Trump of sexual misconduct, including assault, since the 1970s.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Donald Trump is in very *real* legal jeopardy

 

The Supreme Court's rejection of Donald Trump's attempts to keep his tax returns out of the hands of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance is a potent reminder of this fact: The former President is in real legal jeopardy -- on a number of fronts.

 

In the narrowest aperture what the court's ruling means is that Vance -- and the grand jury he has empaneled to look into hush money payments made in the run-up to the 2016 election to two women alleging affairs with Trump -- will get a look at Trump's most carefully guarded secret: His financial documents.


Which is a blow for Trump -- especially given a) how hard he fought the release of these documents, which include years of tax returns, to Vance and b) what we already know about Trump's involvement in the hush money scheme.


In federal search warrant documents released in July 2019, Trump is named for his involvement in the hush money payments. As CNN's Kara Scannell and Marshall Cohen wrote at the time:


"The documents are the first time that the US authorities have identified Trump by name and allege his involvement at key steps in the campaign finance scheme. Authorities had previously referred to Trump in court filings as 'Individual 1,' the person who directed [Michael] Cohen to make the payments. Trump has publicly denied making the payments. Cohen pleaded guilty to two campaign finance crimes, among others, and is serving a three year prison sentence."

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump reported making more than $1.6 billion while president

 

Donald Trump reported making more than $1.6 billion in outside revenue and income during his four years as President of the United States, according to a review of his financial disclosures by CREW. While Trump publicly took credit for donating his taxpayer-funded salary, that ended up being less than 0.1% of the revenue and income he disclosed during his presidency. Far from being a sacrifice, the donation was merely a fig leaf to cover up four years of brazen corruption.

 

Despite seeing a major dropoff in hospitality related revenue in 2020 due to the pandemic, in total Trump disclosed at least $1,613,583,013 in revenue from the Trump Organization and other outside income. Trump disclosed a high end of $1,790,614,202, but it is impossible to know exactly how much he pocketed as president, as some of his assets list a vague “Over $5,000,000” in yearly income and because of the structure of Trump Organization businesses, reported revenue does not necessarily reflect his personal income from them. One of the reports also included 19 days of revenue and income before Trump assumed the presidency.

 

A major part of his Trump Organization revenue came from the marquee properties that he often visited during his presidency. The Trump Hotel in DC, his now “home” Mar-a-Lago and his golf courses Doral, Bedminister and Trump National Washington brought in a combined $620,709,659 over the last four years. He paid a combined 399 visits to these properties as president. With the pandemic shuttering hotels and golf courses, the Trump Hotel dropped from $40 million a year in revenue to $15 million from 2020 through the end of Trump’s presidency and Doral, which saw regular revenue in the mid-$70 millions, only tallied $44 million. Mar-a-Lago, however, saw a slight uptick to $24 million, as the president continued to visit during the pandemic. The Virginia-based Trump National Washington, which the president spent many weekends at during the pandemic, did not see a dropoff from the previous three years.

 

Maybe the most notable foreign properties in Trump’s portfolio are his three European golf courses—Turnberry and Aberdeen in Scotland and Doonbeg in Ireland—which the famously debt-laden developer bought in surprising cash deals and which have hemorrhaged money every year he has owned them. But while the courses have lost money, Trump still disclosed $138,726,106 in revenue from them over the last four years, this despite revenue dropping by nearly two-thirds in 2020.

 

What remains to be seen is whether he’ll be able to keep the grift going post-presidency. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, China said:

A major part of his Trump Organization revenue came from the marquee properties that he often visited during his presidency. The Trump Hotel in DC, his now “home” Mar-a-Lago and his golf courses Doral, Bedminister and Trump National Washington brought in a combined $620,709,659 over the last four years. He paid a combined 399 visits to these properties as president. With the pandemic shuttering hotels and golf courses, the Trump Hotel dropped from $40 million a year in revenue to $15 million from 2020 through the end of Trump’s presidency and Doral, which saw regular revenue in the mid-$70 millions, only tallied $44 million. Mar-a-Lago, however, saw a slight uptick to $24 million, as the president continued to visit during the pandemic. The Virginia-based Trump National Washington, which the president spent many weekends at during the pandemic, did not see a dropoff from the previous three years.

 

Wish I could see a breakdown, as to how much of that money fell into three categories:  

 

1)  Taxpayer money.  

2)  People using Trump's properties as a money laundering organization, to pay bribes to Trump.  

3)  Actual customers.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So any educated guesses on how long it takes to go through this stuff and get to the point of filing charges, assuming it gets to that?

 

I'd guess at least a year. That's a ****load of documentation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 years ago I think it would have taken a year to get through a document dump like that. Today, there are high speed scanners and character recognition software. I dont think this tactic buys a year plus like it would have in the past. If one assumes the worst case where the DA. doesn't already have a scanning system, assume a month to get a scanning system set up and and a couple months to scan, organize and sort it all. Then give another month to start seeing legal repercussions. The legal stuff can start shortly after the scanning starts with more stuff added as scanning finds more.  Of course this presumes a competent project planner...but it is hardly an insurmountable obstacle these days.

 

As Paul Simon sang, "these are the days of miracle and wonder.."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gbear said:

10 years ago I think it would have taken a year to get through a document dump like that. Today, there are high speed scanners and character recognition software. I dont think this tactic buys a year plus like it would have in the past. If one assumes the worst case where the DA. doesn't already have a scanning system, assume a month to get a scanning system set up and and a couple months to scan, organize and sort it all. Then give another month to start seeing legal repercussions. The legal stuff can start shortly after the scanning starts with more stuff added as scanning finds more.  Of course this presumes a competent project planner...but it is hardly an insurmountable obstacle these days.

 

As Paul Simon sang, "these are the days of miracle and wonder.."

To add to that - the NY DA has had access to the Deutsche Bank info since August, 2020 and information from Cohen. They're not starting from scratch.

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So any educated guesses on how long it takes to go through this stuff and get to the point of filing charges, assuming it gets to that?

 

I'm not holding out a lot of expectations.  

 

For one things, they've had what, two years to go through the document file and, uh, "double check" them?  

 

And I would assume that there's also some "Well, if you can't give them nothing, then bury them with trivia" going on.  

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

To add to that - the NY DA has had access to the Deutsche Bank info since August, 2020 and information for Cohen. They're not starting from scratch.

 

Yeah, some of these things, like this case, and some of the things Congress fights over?  My assumption is that the people actually already have at least some of it.  Somebody slipped it to them, years ago.  

 

They just need to 1) Get it legally, and 2) verify that the leak wasn't a fake.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...