Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

It's funny that you guys were talking about top 10 favorite Caps cause I just got up early and there's this article on ESPN, each team's "Mount Puckmore" 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24266284/nhl-mount-puckmore-four-franchise-defining-players-metropolitan-division-team

Washington Capitals

Dale Hunter, C (1987-98)
Olaf Kolzig, G (1989-2008)
Rod Langway, D (1982-93)
Alex Ovechkin, LW (2005-present)

Potential replacements: Nicklas Backstrom, C (2007-present); Peter Bondra, RW (1990-2004); John Carlson, D (2010-present); Mike Gartner, RW (1979-1989); Braden Holtby, G (2010-present)

Puckmore coach: Barry Trotz (2015-18)

Puckmore GM: George McPhee (1997-2014)

It used to be that the Capitals' eras could be separated into three time periods: the red, white and blue 1970s through early 1990s; the blue eagle late 1990s, when they made the Cup Final for the first time (and then made the Jaromir Jagr trade); and the Ovechkin Years. After June 2018, the Ovechkin Years carry significantly more weight for the franchise.

We still think this Mount Puckmore is the best monument to the history of the Capitals, and representing those eras (with Olie The Goalie spanning them). But Backstrom or Holtby could make the mountain by the end of their careers, perhaps in lieu of Hunter. (Oh, and Trotz does get the Cup bump over Bryan Murray as coach. Give him credit, don't give him credit ... there's no denying he did what no one else in franchise history was able to do.)

Then there's a place to vote for who the biggest snub was.  

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Washington Capitals

Dale Hunter, C (1987-98)
Olaf Kolzig, G (1989-2008)
Rod Langway, D (1982-93)
Alex Ovechkin, LW (2005-present)

Potential replacements: Nicklas Backstrom, C (2007-present); Peter Bondra, RW (1990-2004); John Carlson, D (2010-present); Mike Gartner, RW (1979-1989); Braden Holtby, G (2010-present)

Olie over Holtby.  Man, you could debate that all day.  Holts delivered this team a Cup and has been a dominant goalie over the past 6 seasons.  Kolzig was our starting goalie for 10 years, pretty much carried this team to the Cup Finals during his breakout season (which up until 2 months ago was the highlight of this franchise), had an amazing run in 2000 in which we went from last place mid-season to winning the division and earning him the Vezina, and then was a rock for us while we fell flat the next couple years and went through a painful full-on rebuild.  It's a shame he hit his downside and lost his job (to Huet) right as the team was ready to compete again, as I think his lack of playoff success (after the '98 run) was mainly due to the fact that he never had the team in front of him that Holtby does.  

Skill-wise, Holtby is the best goalie the Caps have ever had.  But as far as "best Caps goalie of all-time", I think Olie may still have the nod.  But 1 or 2 more great seasons from Holtby should definitely put him over.

7 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

It's a shame he hit his downside and lost his job (to Huet) right as the team was ready to compete again, as I think his lack of playoff success (after the '98 run) was mainly due to the fact that he never had the team in front of him that Holtby does. 

Even before Huet was brought in, Brent Johnson was often playing getting the call instead of Kolzig.  It was just his time to hang up the pads.

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

@purbeast Where did you get those frames?

My wife works in optical and one patients who came in to buy glasses does that kind of stuff (framing I guess lol) for a living.  I'm not sure how the conversation came up or anything but she got them from him for me for Father's Day.  They pictures have "official" NHL hologram stickers on them too.

24 minutes ago, purbeast said:

My wife works in optical and one patients who came in to buy glasses does that kind of stuff (framing I guess lol) for a living.  I'm not sure how the conversation came up or anything but she got them from him for me for Father's Day.  They pictures have "official" NHL hologram stickers on them too.

Is that blue and red thing on the right side of the bottom picture some sort of inflatable bounce house? Is that whole back wall brick and you just left that little shelf, you schmuck?

4 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Is that blue and red thing on the right side of the bottom picture some sort of inflatable bounce house? Is that whole back wall brick and you just left that little shelf, you schmuck?

LOL yes it's a bounce house, fits perfectly for my son and his friends.

And the brick used to be a window well that I had them fill in when we redid our back patio.  I was going to cover the hole with drywall but I like the brick wall and it makes for a nice shelf.  You can see it if you look, but there's another filled in window well behind the Redskins acoustical panel.  It barely isn't big enough to cover the gap in the wall, you can see a little gap below it right above the Caps one if you look close enough.

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

LOL yes it's a bounce house, fits perfectly for my son and his friends.

And the brick used to be a window well that I had them fill in when we redid our back patio.  I was going to cover the hole with drywall but I like the brick wall and it makes for a nice shelf.  You can see it if you look, but there's another filled in window well behind the Redskins acoustical panel.  It barely isn't big enough to cover the gap in the wall, you can see a little gap below it right above the Caps one if you look close enough.

Sure. Son and friends...

In that case the brick IS a nice touch. The discreet kegerator and obvious anal attention to hiding wires let's me know everything I need to.

Archived