Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread


Recommended Posts

Just watched the Blu-Ray. Very well done. Just enough of the Caps long and painful history (dating back to '74), just enough of the '98 Stanley Cup run, just enough of the excitement of drafting Ovechkin (God does he give you goosebumps watching him as a rookie), just enough of the 2018 regular season, and then the majority of the focus is on the crazy, improbable playoff run.

Couple of thoughts:

1. OV, Holtby, and Wilson seem by far and away the most competitive guys on the team. Those three utterly hate losing, and will literally do everything in their power to win. So glad we signed Wilson. With that incredible drive of his, he will reap benefits for years to come.

2. DSP had just about the perfect playoffs. More impressive run than John Druce (which I saw firsthand and remember well). He came through at just about every critical moment, when the team needed him the most. 

3. Trotz instills you with a lot of confidence, Rierdon does not. But I don't think its going to matter. All the Caps really need is a custodian, a guy to keep Trotz's system in place. The players will take care of the rest.

Overall, an excellent production. Great memento for a Caps fan. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blu-Ray does have one glaring omission, however. BMac does not make a single appearance. That seemed really strange, particularly seeing how McPhee is featured for a good five minutes or so. How can you not include the architect of the 2018 team? 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little off-season chatter.

 

Your top 10 favorite Capitals of all time. Again, not necessarily who you consider the best, just your favorite. 

(eg. Is DSP one of the best Capital players of all time? Hell no, but he makes my list, because he was vital during

the 2018 Championship run). Provide brief explanations where you deem necessary:

 

My top 5 are pretty obvious:

 

1. Alex Ovechkin 

2. Braden Holtby 

3. Nick Backstrom 

4. Olaf Kolzig

5. Peter Bondra

 

A little trickier after that:

 

6. Scott Stevens (not only a great defenceman, but also totally fearless. He went after Eric Lindros, who was nearly twice his size.

                             If he'd been playing today he would have gone after Tom Wilson. A pitbull of a player)

7. Evgeny Kuznetsov (points and assists leader during the 2018 Championship run)

8. Rod Langway (probably the best defenceman the Caps have ever had)

9. Mike Gartner (probably the third best forward the Caps have had after OV and Bondra)

10. DSP (Yeah he makes the list, ahead of guys like Sergei Gonchar, TJ Oshie, Justin Williams, Dale Hunter, Mike Knuble, and Mark Tinordi.

                His play during the 2018 run was nothing short of legendary). 

 

My list is pretty heavily skewed towards the 2018 team, and deservedly so. 

 

 

Edited by Mournblade
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, Mournblade said:

A little off-season chatter.

 

Your top 10 favorite Capitals of all time. Again, not necessarily who you consider the best, just your favorite. 

(eg. Is DSP one of the best Capital players of all time? Hell no, but he makes my list, because he was vital during

the 2018 Championship run). Provide brief explanations where you deem necessary:

 

My top 5 are pretty obvious:

 

1. Alex Ovechkin 

2. Braden Holtby 

3. Nick Backstrom 

4. Olaf Kolzig

5. Peter Bondra

 

A little trickier after that:

 

6. Scott Stevens (not only a great defenceman, but also totally fearless. He went after Eric Lindros, who was nearly twice his size.

                             If he'd been playing today he would have gone after Tom Wilson. A pitbull of a player)

7. Evgeny Kuznetsov (points and assists leader during the 2018 Championship run)

8. Rod Langway (probably the best defenceman the Caps have ever had)

9. Mike Gartner (probably the third best forward the Caps have had after OV and Bondra)

10. DSP (Yeah he makes the list, ahead of guys like Sergei Gonchar, TJ Oshie, Justin Williams, Dale Hunter, Mike Knuble, and Mark Tinordi.

                His play during the 2018 run was nothing short of legendary). 

 

My list is pretty heavily skewed towards the 2018 team, and deservedly so. 

 

 

I agree with your top 5, i d switck backstrom and bondra maybe

Hunter is the 6 spot not Scott Stevens.  Scott did most of his damage in NJ.

Langway should be higher on the llst, but honestly I never really watched him play

Gartner needs to be higher on that list, but I dunno who Id take out.  Thats a tough call.  Just feel like a 700 goal scorer deserves more recognition.

Im glad you mentioned Tinordi.  Tough mofo.  Toughest mofo we ever had on D, only fight he lost in his career was to Probert, and man could he make those boards rattle....

Link to post
Share on other sites

On second thought, I tend to agree with you Koala -- both Langway and Gartner need to be higher up on the list. Kuznetsov is a little too high --

his contributions to the SC run were HUGE (only Ovi, Holtby and DSP were more clutch) but he's still a relatively young player who's had a short career. Scott Stevens probably should be lower too, but he's still on the list -- I saw him play live and was blown away by his fearlessness. So my revised list would look like this:

 

1. OV

2. Holtby

3. Kolzig

4. Bondra

5. Langway

6. Gartner

7. Backstrom

8. Kuznetsov

9. Stevens

10. DSP

 

Dale Hunter BTW did not impress me enough to make the list -- a tough, gritty player, but not very skilled and not particularly cunning either. 

Edited by Mournblade
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a hard time picking a good top 10.  I was a wee lad through the teams of the 90s, so I had a couple favorites, but it wasn't until I was older that I could really analyze players for myself.  I'll try to avoid putting people who I know "should" be on the list and only put guys that I recognized back in the day.

 

In no particular order:

  • Peter Bondra
  • Olie Kolzig
  • Alex Ovechkin
  • Braden Holtby
  • T.J. Oshie
  • Al Iafrate
  • Nicklas Backstrom
  • Adam Oates (try to forget most of his coaching, though we did get the Ovie-spot out of him)
  • Tom Wilson
  • Esa Tikkanen Jaromir Jagr not sure who to put here.  Maybe Mike Green for his 2009 season.  Only 4 defensemen have scored more goals per game than Green did that season: Bobby Orr, Paul Coffee, Doug Wilson, and Hooley Smith (back in 1930).
Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Oates is a pretty good choice. He was a tremendous player when he came to us from the Bruins, known as THE best play-maker in the league.

I think his disastrous coaching stint with us colored my view of him, but as a player he definitley merits consideration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Peter Bondra 

3. Rod Langway

4. Nicklas Backstrom

5. Braden Holtby

6. Adam Oates

7. Mike Gartner

8. Olaf Kolzig

9. Dale Hunter

10. Calle Johansson

 

In due time, I’d probably put Kuznetsov, Oshie, Wilson on this list.  Green could probably go on this list.  Even Semin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gunna name my 10 favorite, in no particular order because its hard enough to get 10...

 

Alex Ovechkin

Nick Backstrom

Braden Holtby

Tom Wilson

Mike Green

Jeff Halpern

Peter Bondra

Adam Oates

Olie Kolzig

Steve Konawalchuk

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Springfield said:

Dino Ciccirelli

 

Dino was great but he was only here for 3 full seasons (hard to believe, when think back on the late 80's/early 90's Caps teams it feels like he was here for twice as long) before getting shipped off for peanuts in one of Abe Pollin's many salary dumps.  He's Top 20, but definitely not Top 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

 

Dino was great but he was only here for 3 full seasons (hard to believe, when think back on the late 80's/early 90's Caps teams it feels like he was here for twice as long) before getting shipped off for peanuts in one of Abe Pollin's many salary dumps.  He's Top 20, but definitely not Top 10.

 

Yeah but the point of the thread is "Your Favorite". Not necessarily who you consider the best. For example, I included DSP on my list. Do I consider him be one of the best Caps ever? God no, but he's one of my favorites nonetheless, because of his clutch performance during the SC run. 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm just gunna name my 10 favorite, in no particular order because its hard enough to get 10...

 

Alex Ovechkin

Nick Backstrom

Braden Holtby

Tom Wilson

Mike Green

Jeff Halpern

Peter Bondra

Adam Oates

Olie Kolzig

Steve Konawalchuk

 

 

I signed Kono's going-away card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

So far i have learned that the caps are no longer doing the all you can drink and ticket packages, which was one of the best bargains at a sporting event

 

They can’t afford to let the fans have all you can drink when the players had a month straight celebration of “all you can drink”. :cheers:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ixcuincle changed the title to 2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...