Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

You know, I expect a let down this year. I mean, after winning it all you either repeat or it's going to be a regressions of some sort. But WOW are they doing everything right this off-season. Clearly the players like being there and want to stay. I could not have asked for a better off-season. 

26 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

......But WOW are they doing everything right this off-season. Clearly the players like being there and want to stay. I could not have asked for a better off-season. 

BACK-TO-BACK BABY!!! Wouldn't mind it at all. :)

11 of 12 forwards back. All 7 defenseman back. Starting tender back. This is the most intact Cup winner I can remember. Only losing Beagle (he got WAY over payed) and Grubi (he was the key to unloading Orpik’s salary) in unbelievable. And they still have $1.1M in cap space.  

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Ill be the first to say...

...that’s more than I was expecting to pay for Wilson.

That's more than I'd expect to pay for him on a two year contract, but 6 years makes sense.  He wasn't gonna stay an RFA forever, and the cap is going to keep going up.

BMac has a tremendous summer so far. Signing Wilson is just another great move by him.

Little concerned about Toronto. The addition of Tavares makes them a heavyweight in the East. So it will be the battle

of the big 4 next year -- Caps, Pens, Bolts and Leafs. 

14 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

11 of 12 forwards back. All 7 defenseman back. Starting tender back. This is the most intact Cup winner I can remember. 

Obviously not having Trotz back hurts, but hopefully Reirden has the same style of coaching that Trotz did.  This is the most excited I've been about a team in years.  Being at the top sure is AWESOME!

On 7/29/2018 at 2:14 AM, Springfield said:

This is a good point.

There's also a potential lockout looming yet again and there could be a compliance buyout option if we need to use it.

Either way, Orpik's last year here is probably this year so that's $1M back going into next off-season and then you have someone like Burakovsky as a trade chip.

I expected something in the neighborhood of 3.5-4 AAV for Wilson's contract.  1 million over is a sight overpay, but it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things considering the cap is rising.  Wilson put together a fantastic regular season, where he generated i think all of his points at ES.  Not to mention, scoring something like 15 points in 21 playoff games.  He really clicks with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov.  Think about it this way....with all the line juggling the team has done with wingers asked to play with Ovechkin/Backstrom or Ovechkin/Kuznetsov, it should be easy for ________ player to be plugged in produce, right?  It wasn't that simple.  Wilson not only clicked, but he drove possession.  He was almost ruined by Oates, but Trotz got him squared away.  With the way the league is going by way of speed, speed, speed, Wilson has it all.  It's just on him to put it all together, and we've seen glimpses.  Around 24 is when Wayne Simmonds started his ascension.  I'm predicting the same for Wilson.  I'd like to see him get some time on PP2.  20+ goals this year and around 50 points should absolutely not be out of the question.  He can do it. 

Those of you who watch the Bluray can you report back with how you liked it?  I never ended up ordering it from Amazon but will if it's worth watching.  I'm just wondering how much stuff is on there that we haven't seen yet, like locker room access and stuff.  I love that stuff.

The audio/video quality is good.  It tracks the team from the early years to the Stanley cup.  Most of the video is spent on the playoffs though.  It’s 1:20 and about an hour is the playoffs.  Lots of interviews of players and coaches.  Lots of non-standard video of goals.  I would recommend.  I cried a little.

Archived