Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

21 hours ago, Springfield said:

Former NHL goalie Ray Emery, most notably of the Flyers, died earlier today in an apparent drowning while swimming.  Sad news.

Remember when he tried to fight Holtby? RIP. 

7 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Remember when he tried to fight Holtby? RIP. 

Yep, I remember how he came all the way down to our zone to pick that fight.  A lot of people didn’t like his antics.  Didn’t deserve to die though.  Still sad.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Yep, I remember how he came all the way down to our zone to pick that fight.  A lot of people didn’t like his antics.  Didn’t deserve to die though.  Still sad.

I agree, IIRC we won that game like 8-0. Wilson and Simmonds started that whole line fight. 

5 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

I agree, IIRC we won that game like 8-0. Wilson and Simmonds started that whole line fight. 

It was a garbage move by the guy and the ref that stood there and watched should have been suspended for a month. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

It was a garbage move by the guy and the ref that stood there and watched should have been suspended for a month. 

The ref didn't just stand and watch.  He actively prevented anyone from coming in and breaking it up.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The ref didn't just stand and watch.  He actively prevented anyone from coming in and breaking it up.

You're right. I totally forgot about that aspect of it. 

7 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Has anyone gotten their DVD yet? I want to order one but keep seeing that they are not ready until August. 

My amazon order says “arriving July 31”

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 2
On 7/18/2018 at 2:20 PM, maxspruill21 said:

Has anyone gotten their DVD yet? I want to order one but keep seeing that they are not ready until August. 

I’m waiting until Thursday to order it so i dont have to wait too long for it to arrive. (Also, WHY did my phone flat out refuse to accept don’t as a word, for like 5 minutes? Kept wanting to change it to domy....)

• Like 1

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-re-sign-madison-bowey/c-299537322

Capitals Re-sign Madison Bowey

Defenseman Madison Bowey signs a two-year contract with an average annual value of $1 million.

The Washington Capitals have re-signed defenseman Madison Bowey to a two-year contract, senior vice president and general manager Brian MacLellan announced today. Bowey's contract will carry an average annual value of $1 million.

Bowey, 23, made his NHL debut on Oct. 14, 2017, against the Philadelphia Flyers and recorded his first point on Oct. 26, against the Vancouver Canucks. In 51 games during the 2017-18 season, Bowey recorded 12 assists, tied for ninth among rookie defensemen.

The 6'2", 198-pound defenseman recorded eight points (2g, 6a) in nine games with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League. Bowey recorded three multi-point games, including a two-goal game in Hershey's 2-1 win against the Hartford Wolfpack on March 24. In 113 career AHL games with Hershey, Bowey recorded 51 points (9g, 42a).

The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native was drafted by the Capitals with the 53rd overall pick in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft. As a junior player with the Kelowna Rockets, a team he captained for two seasons, Bowey recorded 172 points (58g, 114a) in 259 games. In 2015, Bowey won the World Junior Championship with Team Canada and the Ed Chynoweth Cup as a WHL champion and was named as a First Team All Star in the WHL.

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-sign-brooks-orpik/c-299573574

Capitals Sign Brooks Orpik

The Washington Capitals have signed defenseman Brooks Orpik to a one-year contract with an average annual value of $1 million.

The Washington Capitals have signed defenseman Brooks Orpik to a one-year contract, senior vice president and general manager Brian MacLellan announced today. Orpik's contract will carry an average annual value of $1 million. In addition, the contract includes $500,000 of potential performance bonuses.

"Brooks has been a valuable player and a great mentor for our young players and we are thrilled to bring him back to our organization," said MacLellan. "We feel his leadership and competitiveness on and off the ice will be welcomed back to our group."

Orpik, 37, led the Capitals with 168 blocked shots and ranked second on the team, and first among Washington defensemen, with 218 hits in 2017-18. He recorded 10 points (0g, 10a) in 81 regular-season appearances and five points (1g, 4a) in 24 postseason contests. The 6'3", 217-pound defenseman has recorded 53 points (3g, 50a) and 830 hits in 279 games with the Capitals.

The San Francisco, Calif., native has registered 185 points (16g, 169a) in 982 career regular-season games and 24 points (3g, 21a) in 149 playoff outings. He's a two-time Stanley Cup champion, also winning with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009, an Olympic silver medalist (Team USA, 2010) and has also won an NCAA national championship (Boston College, 2001). Orpik ranks first among defensemen in Penguins history in games played (703) and was named the team's Defensive Player of the Year on three occasions (2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12).

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

VET MINIMUM PLUS INCENTIVES!

I am all for Brooks Orpik as a third line defenseman at $1MM per.  He was what, 4.5 times that last year?

Salary yes, cap hit no. His cap hit was $5.5M.

31 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Salary yes, cap hit no. His cap hit was $5.5M.

Even better then.  So, basically, we are keeping Carlson and Orpik this year for the same price as Carlson and Oprik last year?  Is that about right?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Even better then.  So, basically, we are keeping Carlson and Orpik this year for the same price as Carlson and Oprik last year?  Is that about right?

Damn, that's about the best way I've heard that summed up.  

• Like 1
  • ixcuincle changed the title to 2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread