Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We've got a Cup in our back pocket already. The angst and nervousness isn't really a thing anymore. Its still fun but its a different feeling.

I disagree. With Tampa and Pittsburgh out, the East is ours for the taking. Other than Coumbus, does anyone remaining in the East worry you?

Caps need to seize this opportunity. We aren't going to get a chance like this in a while. 

11 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Trotz/Rierden is nowhere near the level of Forsberg/Erat.

Currently 100% agree. That changes if, and it’s a big if, the Islanders win a Cup over the next few years while the Caps lose early in the playoffs.

37 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I disagree. With Tampa and Pittsburgh out, the East is ours for the taking. Other than Coumbus, does anyone remaining in the East worry you?

Caps need to seize this opportunity. We aren't going to get a chance like this in a while. 

Islanders swept the Pens. Blue Jackets swept the Lightning. Either Maple Leafs or Bruins will play the Jackets. Survivor of that series will be battle tested in the ECF. IF we win game 7, next series we get a rested Islanders team that plays suffocating defense and turns mistakes into goals.

There is no easy path to either the ECF or the SCF...

My only issue with Reirden is just the lack of emotion.  I understand that he's a analytical type of guy, and I'd prefer an analytical guy over an "old school" type coach, but if calling off that goal by Ovechkin doesn't warrant a ****ing explosion, then nothing does.  And he just stood their with his arms crossed.  Meantime BrindAmour is having a coronary 10 times per game and sure enough, the Canes start getting calls. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

On December 30th, the Canes were 16 points behind the Caps with a 15-17-5 record. Since that time they had the 3rd most points in the entire league and finished 5 points behind the Caps.   That’s not an inferior team by much. 

The Canes are a hard working team who earned their ticket to the playoffs (much like many Caps teams pre-Ovie who subsequently got bounced when facing a team with more talent).  They're also inexperienced, have an average goalie (being generous here), and most importantly don't have half the skill the Caps have (and their most gifted offensive player has missed most of the series with a concussion).  There's a reason every poster on this board was doing cartwheels when we drew them in the first round.  Are the Canes an easy out?  No, nobody in the playoffs ever is, but they're as close as a defending Cup champ can get to an easy pass.

If we lose tomorrow, I would really like to hear other people's thoughts on what they think constitutes a bigger meltdown in Caps history.

3 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

The Canes are a hard working team who earned their ticket to the playoffs (much like many Caps teams pre-Ovie who subsequently got bounced when facing a team with more talent).  They're also inexperienced, have an average goalie (being generous here), and most importantly don't have half the skill the Caps have (and their most gifted offensive player has missed most of the series with a concussion).  There's a reason every poster on this board was doing cartwheels when we drew them in the first round.  Are the Canes an easy out?  No, nobody in the playoffs ever is, but they're as close as a defending Cup champ can get to an easy pass.

If we lose tomorrow, I would really like to hear other people's thoughts on what they think constitutes a bigger meltdown in Caps history.

So based on this description, the Capitals massively underachieved all season. I mean, you can't be that much better than a team and only finish 5 points ahead of them at the end of the season. 

This one isn't even in the top-10 if the Caps lose. 

5 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Are you ****ing kidding me? 3-1 to the Pens. 3-1 to the Rags. And worst?  3-1 to the Canadians in a 1-8 matchup. Just off the top of my head...

29 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Are you ****ing kidding me? 3-1 to the Pens. 3-1 to the Rags. And worst?  3-1 to the Canadians in a 1-8 matchup. Just off the top of my head...

Are you ****ing kidding me that you think those Pens and Rags teams were worse than this Canes team?  And that Jaro Halak's Ken Dryden-turn in 2010 is anything comparable to anything Peter Mrazik has ever done?  And most significantly of all, that any of those Caps teams were superior to this Caps team that just won the Cup and supposedly exorcised all their demons and are now mentally tougher and "built for the playoffs"?  We all deal with disappointment differently, but anyone trying to justify this loss (if it happens)... wow.

Let's go Caps.

How did the Blackhawks do the year after winning their first cup?

The Bruins?

Outside of the Pens, repeats are exceptionally rare. Losing to a team that finished 5 points behind you isn’t some horrific collapse. Losing 3 in a row to the 8 seed is. Blowing more 3-1 leads than any team in the league is.  

9 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

The Bruins?

Outside of the Pens, repeats are exceptionally rare. Losing to a team that finished 5 points behind you isn’t some horrific collapse. Losing 3 in a row to the 8 seed is. Blowing more 3-1 leads than any team in the league is.  

You’ve got to have more than just a good team to win a championship (as the Caps experienced for years)... you’ve got to be exceptionally lucky too. Part of that luck is getting bounces in the playoffs. Part of it is being healthy going into the playoffs. And then you’ve got to be peaking at the right time too. Caps were all of those things last year.

This year? Haven’t been particularly lucky. Weren’t really peaking down the stretch. And definitely didn’t have the health factor with Kempny and now Oshie going down. 

No knock on Reirden imo. Like you said, it’s really tough to repeat because the stars have to align for you twice. This year the Caps aren’t quite as hungry, they are all a year older, not as healthy, and not as lucky. So if we lose tomorrow, or we lose next round... whatever. It happens. 

The top line has 11 goals.

Second line-1

Third line-3

Fourth line-1

Brooks Orpik 1

Rest of Defense-0

though Carlson has 5 assists which is good. 

The 2nd line and the defense are the problems. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

The Bruins?

Those are all fair points.  My opinion is that none of those disappointing Caps teams in the past were as good and balanced as this team should be after winning it all last year, and all of the teams you cited who beat them were better than this Canes team.  That 2010 choke job to an #8 seed was a heart-breaker but honestly the '85 Oilers couldn't have scored on Halak in Games 5 - 7 (and I hate using the hot goalie excuse).  In this series, it's just the Canes playing harder and wanting it more, and that's unacceptable.  I'm not expecting a repeat, but I think we all expected more than this from the Caps in this series.  Canes finishing 5 points below the Caps doesn't mean much to me.  The Yotes finished 4 points behind Colorado and 7 points behind the Stars; does anyone think they're comparable to either of those teams?  Arizona is my second favorite team, I have family out there and I follow them closely, and trust me they wouldn't have beaten Calgary or Nashville in a series.

Anyways, if they win tomorrow we won't have to rank this among the long list of Caps letdowns, so let's agree to root for that.

Some of you need to save the funeral talk until after the team loses. Seriously, there is a game 7 on Wednesday. That’s all that matters. Not the regular season, not games 1-6, and certainly not any other team. Game 7 is all that matters. If the Caps end up losing a series this playoff, then you can continue with all the hyperbole and say what you want about the team. But right now, the Caps are hosting game 7 in a building where they have won every game this post season. 

16 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

... and a fitting end for San Jose!!!!

Were they down 3 to 1??

That OT goal was a bit too easy....

Barkley Goodrow only had fresh legs because he had been benched many shifts earlier in the game. Funny how that works out.

Hops Pavs is ok. Sharks have to be the favorite now in the West, even without him and questionable goaltending (and defense).

Must be hard to be a Vegas fan. 2 years and still no cup. Maybe in 5 they can all go back to being LA Kings fans.

Archived