Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

The past 3 years you knew whoever wins that seasons wins the cup. As an outside observer without having the emotional pull you could see quite clearly in the context of a series the Caps were head and shoulders better than every team but the Pens and visa versa when the Pens won their Cups. It's more or less the only series where either team needed their goaltenders to come up big to win the series. I don't see it changing in the next 2-3 years either that series should decide the cup winner. 

Maybe you knew that, but I certainly didn't know the Pens would win back to back Cups if they simply beat the Caps in the second round. You are ignoring Caps history if you think that if they didn't play the Pens, they would have made the Stanley Cup finals in 2016 and 2017 let alone win the Cup. 

15 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

The past 3 years you knew whoever wins that seasons wins the cup. As an outside observer without having the emotional pull you could see quite clearly in the context of a series the Caps were head and shoulders better than every team but the Pens and visa versa when the Pens won their Cups. It's more or less the only series where either team needed their goaltenders to come up big to win the series. I don't see it changing in the next 2-3 years either that series should decide the cup winner.  The NHL isn't immune to a lack of parity ot just had a good stretch for a while. Wasn't there a stretch in the 90s with essentially the same 2-3 teams ending up playing for the cup? 

In the NBA in the 90s the Bulls, Rockets and Spurs won titles. In the NHL the Red Wings, Penguins, Avalanche, Rangers, Canadiens, Oilers and Devils all won titles. Even before salary cap era, the NHL was always been a more interesting league in terms of parity.

You have to go back to the 1980s when it really had no parity and before that with the 70s Canadiens.

I disagree the likelihood that the Capitals and Penguins don't win the Cup next year is very high. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Predators, Jets, Lightning etc. Of course, I'd prefer we go back to back.

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe you knew that, but I certainly didn't know the Pens would win back to back Cups if they simply beat the Caps in the second round. You are ignoring Caps history if you think that if they didn't play the Pens, they would have made the Stanley Cup finals in 2016 and 2017 let alone win the Cup. 

I look at it completely differently not being a Caps fan that's true, and without going into what yellow and black jerseys I have in my closet I can certainly say I've been there too (moreso last season) but looking at it emotions aside can you really say those two teams aren't in a class of their own? 

5 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

In the NBA in the 90s the Bulls, Rockets and Spurs won titles. In the NHL the Red Wings, Penguins, Avalanche, Rangers, Canadiens, Oilers and Devils all won titles. Even before salary cap era, the NHL was always been a more interesting league in terms of parity.

You have to go back to the 1980s when it really had no parity and before that with the 70s Canadiens.

I disagree the likelihood that the Capitals and Penguins don't win the Cup next year is very high. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Predators, Jets, Lightning etc. Of course, I'd prefer we go back to back.

Pre Sidney Crosby in the early 2000s the Pens weren't sniffing a cup in their wildest dreams even with an older 66/68. They had some decent players outside of that but I remember Jersey practically toying with them when they met in the playoffs. They weren't on the Devil's/Avs/Red Wings level. The Caps have a very good chance of going back to back but again, I'm not a Caps fan so I don't see it the same way. Look at the WC conference though as much as Vegas was a great story that should never have happened. 

4 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I look at it completely differently not being a Caps fan that's true, and without going into what yellow and black jerseys I have in my closet I can certainly say I've been there too (moreso last season) but looking at it emotions aside can you really say those two teams aren't in a class of their own? 

Pre Sidney Crosby in the early 2000s the Pens weren't sniffing a cup in their wildest dreams even with an older 66/68. They had some decent players outside of that but I remember Jersey practically toying with them when they met in the playoffs. They weren't on the Devil's/Avs/Red Wings level. 

The Caps have never deserved to be in a class above every other team before this Stanley Cup win. Also, in 2015-16 there is no way people thought it was just the Pens and Caps. Not when the Blackhawks had won 3 of the last 5 Cups and the Kings the other two. To say nothing of Tampa the last few seasons being right there. 

34 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Caps have never deserved to be in a class above every other team before this Stanley Cup win. Also, in 2015-16 there is no way people thought it was just the Pens and Caps. Not when the Blackhawks had won 3 of the last 5 Cups and the Kings the other two. To say nothing of Tampa the last few seasons being right there. 

Im talking about the last three years. Objectively speaking I see a big back between those two teams and everyone else but I guess you have to factor history in too. Before 15/16 the Penguins fair or not were gathering some choker momentum too. There are of course other good teams out there but imo at the moment the only teams that can beat the Caps or Penguins in a 7 game series are each other. All due respect to Tampa Bay long periods of games in the ECF they didn't look like they belonged on the ice with the Caps. 

My biggest worry about this team is ironically Ovi. Over the 2017-18 season, he seemed to be more serious and focused (at least according to reports) and not just on the ice, but off it too. We heard that he partied less, took his off season training more seriously, at better, etc. Now, that he has won the cup, will  he backslide and party or with the monkey off his back will everything be easier?

Will the Caps be hungry to repeat or be fat and happy?

Answering my own question, I think the benefits of winning the cup will drive the team more than the satisfaction of a goal completed will lead to complacency, but I dunno...

48 minutes ago, Burgold said:

My biggest worry about this team is ironically Ovi. Over the 2017-18 season, he seemed to be more serious and focused (at least according to reports) and not just on the ice, but off it too. We heard that he partied less, took his off season training more seriously, at better, etc. Now, that he has won the cup, will  he backslide and party or with the monkey off his back will everything be easier?

Answering my own question, I think the benefits of winning the cup will drive the team more than the satisfaction of a goal completed will lead to complacency, but I dunno...

If I were you man I would sit back and relax and try to enjoy this off-season for once, we are Stanley Cup Champions. #capsyear

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Now he gonna be a daddy.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Now he gonna be a daddy.

Yeah, if anything I think that would mellow him out a bit once the baby comes. But either way, I'm just going to enjoy this season. No pressure, they deserve that.

I love Ovi, and Backstrom, all the more because they could have gone elsewhere but stuck around and won the Cup where they were drafted. Means so much more.

8 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

So it looks like everyone is coming back, outside of Orpik and Im still hearing they could resign him too, if ish lines up.. It's a long shot, but I'd take him back in a heart beat for 1 million per or there abouts.. It's amazing what winning a cup will do to your opinion of players.. :blush: lol 

18 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Im talking about the last three years. Objectively speaking I see a big back between those two teams and everyone else but I guess you have to factor history in too. Before 15/16 the Penguins fair or not were gathering some choker momentum too. There are of course other good teams out there but imo at the moment the only teams that can beat the Caps or Penguins in a 7 game series are each other. All due respect to Tampa Bay long periods of games in the ECF they didn't look like they belonged on the ice with the Caps. 

Pittsburgh barely got by Ottawa last year in what I believe was a double overtime in a Game 7 to even make it out of the ECF.  

Archived