Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Ovechkin will probably finish this year around 660 or so goals total.  That would mean he needs 240 to get to 900, which would surpass  Gretzky's 894.   

In order to do that, let's say he plays 8 more years in the NHL, until he's 41.  240/8 = 30 goals average per season.   Given his production hasn't really shows signing of falling off much, its conceivable he could have a couple more 40+ goal years, so that later in his career, he averages only 20 or so. 

Jagr was able to put up 27 at age 44 two years ago, and 21 at age 41.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t see him doing it.  It’s just such an astronomical rate to ask of somebody declining.  Plus, if he plays 8 more years for the Caps then he’s gonna sink our cap... and I’m a jealous ****, I don’t wanna see him play somewhere else.

So you want him to retire at 35?

I don't think the Caps will have any trouble fitting Ovechkin under the cap when his contract is up in 2021.   Worst case he gets a slight raise from his current $10m per year.    In the NHL there aren't any huge contracts and only a handful of players are making over $10m/year.

https://www.nhlnumbers.com/player-salaries

I can't see some other team breaking the bank for a 35-year old Ovechkin even if he maintains current production.

43 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t see him doing it.  It’s just such an astronomical rate to ask of somebody declining.  Plus, if he plays 8 more years for the Caps then he’s gonna sink our cap... and I’m a jealous ****, I don’t wanna see him play somewhere else.

I think the more likely scenario is he leaves when his current contract is up to go play in Russia to have a chance at olympic gold. You're right that it's asking way too much of him to reach that kind of record, but I love seeing records being broken and how awesome would it be for it to be a DC guy for once breaking a major sports record.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the more likely scenario is he leaves when his current contract is up to go play in Russia to have a chance at olympic gold. You're right that it's asking way too much of him to reach that kind of record, but I love seeing records being broken and how awesome would it be for it to be a DC guy for once breaking a major sports record.

It would be righteous if he could do it.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Dang...no matter what though we'll always have 2018 playoff DSP...he is a DC sports legend for that string of performances

I entered the thread to post about this. Sad to see DSP go. It may be because I haven't paid a ton of attention since the play offs, but he was undoubtedly one of our heroes during the SC run. Seemed like a hustle, blue collar guy who stepped up at need, but otherwise was the kind of guy who didn't fill the stat sheet, but that you needed to win.

At any rate, we wouldn't have won the Cup without him last year.

Archived