Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Here is what happened. Said Barry wanted top 4 coaching money at 5 years and they thought 9 years as the coach was too long. They will eventually sit down with Reirden for a real interview and if they are on the same page will go forward with him.

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

So Barry was making 1.5 mil and was offered 1.8 mil. Barry laughed in their faces and quit. Don't blame the guy since most coaches in the league are making between 4-5 mil. 

Not sure about the accuracy of this site but 4-5 mil for most coaches is a bit of a stretch.  Like a heavy stretch.

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

6 minutes ago, zskins said:

So Barry was making 1.5 mil and was offered 1.8 mil. Barry laughed in their faces and quit. Don't blame the guy since most coaches in the league are making between 4-5 mil. 

Unless I missed something, the bump from 1.5 to 1.8 was something built in to the existing contract for winning the Cup.  I don't think the Caps said to Trotz to come back and coach at that figure.

16 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Here is what happened. Said Barry wanted top 4 coaching money at 5 years and they thought 9 years as the coach was too long. They will eventually sit down with Reirden for a real interview and if they are on the same page will go forward with him.

Im perfectly fine with this explanation.

Gonna guess it's more about length than money.

25 over 5 isn't excessive, but like was mentioned, it would seriously impact the heir apparent.  If they think Reirden is the next big thing they can't possibly agree to 5 years.

If Trotz would take 10 over 2, might get done.  But If he wants 5 years more than 5 million per, then probably was an impossible situation.

I think the Caps are making a mistake and the way they’ve handled things, with assistants being extended beyond the head coach, doesn’t look good. I don’t really care about the heir apparent when you have a coach that just won the Cup and it’s puts a lot of pressure on Reirden to win big immediately. Hopefully he’s up to it. 

One of the funniest parts of this: everyone, including me, clamored for a head coach that had won a Cup as a head coach to lead this team. 

Hockey coaches, with a few notable exceptions like Bowman, typically get replaced every few years anyway.  Look at Pittsburgh - two of the times they won the Cup, the coach had been replaced midseason.  Devils did the same thing a while back.   While I think a coach can have substantial impact on the team, its not like it is in football where you have these schemes that need entire offseasons to get your players to run well.  Better too early than too late. 

Edit: For some reason I thought Bowman had coached like two teams, but I was way off.  Besides Montreal and Detroit where he's the most well known, he also coached PIttsburgh(winning the Cup in '91), Buffalo and St. Louis (way back in the late 60s/early 70s). 

I think if he was in his 3rd year and this happened, them struggling and then wining the cup in the postseason, there's no doubt that you extend him. It was just the circumstances that he did this in his last year with no contract set for the future. Under any other circumstance, he's extended without a doubt. 

This is just the way business goes. Thanks Barry but it's time to move on. 

50 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

The islanders can pay him 5 mill and give us a couple of draft picks as compensation 

Unless I misunderstood something, since they accepted his resignation, he's free to do what he wants and the Caps won't get anything. From MacLellan's presser, it sounds like it was the right thing to do, at least from a standpoint of respect and appreciation. They wanted him back, but not for 5 years at what he was looking to be paid, so they freed him up to see if he can go and get it. Kind of a crazy situation not even two weeks removed from winning the cup. 

2 minutes ago, SoulSkin said:

Unless I misunderstood something, since they accepted his resignation, he's free to do what he wants and the Caps won't get anything. From MacLellan's presser, it sounds like it was the right thing to do, at least from a standpoint of respect and appreciation. They wanted him back, but not for 5 years at what he was looking to be paid, so they freed him up to see if he can go and get it. Kind of a crazy situation not even two weeks removed from winning the cup. 

If that’s true.  They should be commended for being upstanding people.  And eviscerated for being ****ing stupid. 

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

If that’s true.  They should be commended for being upstanding people.  And eviscerated for being ****ing stupid. 

I guess I kind of agree, but I'm not going to fault them for being honorable to the guy that helped em finally get over the hump. It probably sends a positive message about management to the current team, coaches, and future prospects for both. It seems like a tough decision that they didn't expect to have to make, but felt they did, and they wanted to let it happen as amicably as possible. 

Question for anyone: Could they have gotten a pick/picks, and what sort of range would it/they have been?

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Unless I missed something, the bump from 1.5 to 1.8 was something built in to the existing contract for winning the Cup.  I don't think the Caps said to Trotz to come back and coach at that figure.

On the way to the Nats game (and the Nats lose the second game to NYY :( I might add), my son looked it up and gave me the figures. He was reading off an article that had these figures. I had him look up the avg salary of NHL coaches and he said it was around 4-5 mil. Should have asked him what site he was on though. Anyways, it is what it is and Barry is gone and hopefully his replacement can get us back to back. 

Regardless of the reason he’s leaving I’m gonna miss Barry. Even when the boys were struggling mid seasonI was still pulling for him. Very likable guy and has been nothing but class since his arrival. Glad the boys rallied around him and won him a cup. Very well deserved. I wish him luck in wherever he goes. 

I’m actually not that upset. I think both parties got what they wanted: the Cup. 

I can certainly see that money wasn’t the biggest issue, but contract length. 

I wish Trotz well and we still have enough talent at the big club and in the minors to put good teams on the ice.

To the major Capitals fans that know the entire team inside and out, is this sort of like a McVay situation? How good is Reirden that there is talk of not wanting to lose him? We obviously went the other direction when it came to retaining our prodigy OC and extended the HC, is this situation comparable? I know the Capitals, but am not so knowledgeable when it comes to Hersey and our assistant coaches (I know Reirden isn't a coach for Hersey just saying in general).

17 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

To the major Capitals fans that know the entire team inside and out, is this sort of like a McVay situation? How good is Reirden that there is talk of not wanting to lose him? We obviously went the other direction when it came to retaining our prodigy OC and extended the HC, is this situation comparable? I know the Capitals, but am not so knowledgeable when it comes to Hersey and our assistant coaches (I know Reirden isn't a coach for Hersey just saying in general).

I don't know if its quite the same as McVay. Rierden is 46, so not a wunderkind like McVay is/was. I know he was in the Penguin organization before coming here and many of the D men rave about how he turned them around.

12 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, they should've ponied up the dough to keep Trotz for the sake of continuity, but it is a business like any other sport.  Will it hurt them in the long run, time will tell

Its proven that in Hockey coaches just don't last that long and it isn't worth committing that much money.

But God bless Trotzy if he can get that money somewhere else.

5 years is unheard of. Joel Quennville won 3 Cups in Chicago and only got 3 years!!! Toronto and Montreal are exceptions, because hockey is everything there. It is unrealistic to expect a market like DC to pay $5M per for 5 years.  Maybe if the Caps were coming off winning 2 in a row...

13 hours ago, maxspruill21 said:

Trotz is a legend in my eyes, seemed like everyone liked him. I wish nothing for the best for him. With that being said I will be more than happy to see Reirden take over.

i have a co worker who knows people. she said trotz wasnt well liked by the players. mentioned backstrom specifically. shes a credible person, so i'm guessing theres some truth to it. 

It's kind of strange to me that in a sport with player careers as long as they are in hockey, that coach contracts and tenures are so short.

Like 9 years in the NFL is indeed a long time.  Almost certainly less than 10% of the team lasts that long, and generally it's maybe 1 or 2 players, usually with 1 being the QB.

In the NHL, guys play into their late 30's consistently and core groups of guys will sometimes stick together for a decade.  Ovi and Backstrom obviously come to mind.

That being said, it's also not unreasonable that if that's the culture, that's the culture.

Archived