Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

16 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

They just need to tighten up, period! Struggling to play 60 minutes again. Lucky to get out of there with 2. Not sure what's up with Reirden putting Carlson out 3rd. Too many actual bullets in the gun to be wasting chances like that, imo.. 

Here ya go Mary: (Ovi gave away a couple today!) 

Those are both cool and yet I'm kinda annoyed that a few Caps players didn't fist bump Aydin. I mean, come on. 

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Those are both cool and yet I'm kinda annoyed that a few Caps players didn't fist bump Aydin. I mean, come on. 

That annoyed the crap out of me also, but I'm trying to rationalize it in my brain by saying that they were just in "game mode" and didn't notice him. 

19 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

That annoyed the crap out of me also, but I'm trying to rationalize it in my brain by saying that they were just in "game mode" and didn't notice him. 

I'm thinking the PR person for the Caps probably pulls those guys aside cause there is NO way to miss that. "Guys, if you see a kid in a wheel chair, don't miss him."

BTW, it's just another example of Ovechkin being the greatest athlete in DC....ever. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Annoyed me as well.. I "think" they just didn't notice him? How could you pass up a kid in a wheel chair? Ovie nearly missed him as well. 

2 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Defense is a complete mess so far. No Orpik tonight but still, no gap control at all this season.

Turned it on with less than two minutes to go. Granted the refs missed an obvious penalty on Domi but that’s a terrible goal to give up by Holtby. 

The Caps won’t make the playoffs if Holtby struggle again like he did last year in the regular season. Copley is not nearly as good a backup as Grubs. Right now Holtby is over 3,5 goals per game. 

WTF happened at the end?  I was watching and it was 4-3 and saw the Canadiens tie it up with like 4 or 5 minutes left.  Then my mom called and I had it on the football game, then when she hung up I turned on the Caps game and it was 6-4 with 13 seconds left.

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Domi scored glove side over Holtby, scored empty net right afterwards. Good game but we shoulda won, not a solid start to the season but we will rebound. 

Backstrom wins the draw and the Caps somehow give up the fastest two goals back to back in NHL history. 

I'm not confident this team rebounds. Tons of hockey to play, but lots of bad defense and goal-tending. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Turned it on with less than two minutes to go. Granted the refs missed an obvious penalty on Domi but that’s a terrible goal to give up by Holtby. 

The Caps won’t make the playoffs if Holtby struggle again like he did last year in the regular season. Copley is not nearly as good a backup as Grubs. Right now Holtby is over 3,5 goals per game. 

Holtby will not continue to have such a horrid GAA. The team is not sound in the defensive zone but I expect that to improve. Wilson alone will force teams to play differently than they do without him. You think anybody is scared of Vrana, Kuzy, Stephenson, Burakovsky, even Connolly Eller or Stephenson near the slot, boards, or neutral zone? 

The Caps have been playing mediocre but we shouldn't forget how different this team is with Wilson. I have no concerns about the team making the playoffs. There are a lot of good teams in the East but we have too much skill to not outscore many teams around the league. That's not a winning formula in the playoffs but regular season we should be good. It seems this is the type of team that will go into OT a bunch with the late defensive gaffes but also the ability to tie it up in a moment's notice. 

I'll take Kuz and Carlson in OT over most any other C / D combo in 3 on 3. We know what Osh can do in the S/O

9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Wilson's defensive ability is sorely missed. In a late game situation like that he is out there blocking lanes and throwing his weight around.

Good thing is this offense is so loaded we're never out of a game. 

I was too busy at Audi Field for the United - Crew Knockout game so why Caps give up 6 goals :wtf:

1 hour ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

Holtby will not continue to have such a horrid GAA. The team is not sound in the defensive zone but I expect that to improve. Wilson alone will force teams to play differently than they do without him. You think anybody is scared of Vrana, Kuzy, Stephenson, Burakovsky, even Connolly Eller or Stephenson near the slot, boards, or neutral zone? 

The Caps have been playing mediocre but we shouldn't forget how different this team is with Wilson. I have no concerns about the team making the playoffs. There are a lot of good teams in the East but we have too much skill to not outscore many teams around the league. That's not a winning formula in the playoffs but regular season we should be good. It seems this is the type of team that will go into OT a bunch with the late defensive gaffes but also the ability to tie it up in a moment's notice. 

I'll take Kuz and Carlson in OT over most any other C / D combo in 3 on 3. We know what Osh can do in the S/O

Holtby had a 2.99 GA last regular season, which is terrible, as was his save %. It's truly remarkable that he was so much better in the playoffs...which they made the playoffs last season behind Grubauer which I think is often overlooked. There is no Stanley Cup run without the way Grubby played the last couple months of the season. While Holtby should improve, I think there has to be concern. The guy that was the goalie coach for the Caps when Holtby was maybe the best goalie in the league has been gone for a couple seasons now and Holtby hasn't been good in the regular season since.  

18 hours ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

****, that game really was frustrating in the third. We gave it away, this will surely end up one of our worst losses of the season, no?

Holtby's blunder  is inexcusable for the go-ahead goal. He usually has a very dependable glove but he had a brain fart and tried to pull it in before he had it.

Well, it deflected off Carlson's stick. Had Carlson not touched the puck, there is no knuckle to it and he makes the glove save. 

18 hours ago, Hersh said:

The refs were ATROCIOUS last night. Silly me, thinking the defending champs would get the benefit of calls like EVERY OTHER DEFENDING CHAMP GETS. ?

Archived