Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

3 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

I liked all 3 of those guys but their loss isn't as bad as it looks on paper.  Niskanen took a big step backwards last year, and considering his age it's unlikely he'll get it back.  He's a #4 defenseman at this point, and at a cap hit of almost $6 million that's not good enough.  Jensen should compensate.  And if our D isn't good next year, it'll be because none of the young guys step up, not because we lost Niskanen. 

Connolly is a casualty of today's NHL salary cap - you pick up guys like him on the cheap to fill out your bottom lines and hope they can overachieve (which is exactly what he did over the past few seasons).  When they do, someone is going to overpay for them, and I'm glad it wasn't us. 

I will miss Bura and wish we would've given him one more year to get that breakout season we've all been hoping for.  I won't be resentful at all if he does it with the Avs, but the Caps had been betting on that for many years and with the exception of one memorable playoff game and a few hot stretches here and there, it didn't materialize and salary cap considerations forced the Caps to fold the hand.

We were so fortunate to keep the whole team (sans coach) together after the Cup win.  The truth is that most teams have to part with solid players.  Next year could be even tougher for the Caps.

Connolly will hurt most of all, and I doubt we replace him. A #6 overall pick playing on our third line -- what other team in the NHL could boast that? 

And to the argument that he will never repeat last year's performance -- he's only 27. No way has he peaked just yet.  

(BTW he's one of those weird guys who looks much older than 27. You remember back in high school when you met guys with grey hair, or already balding? It's kinda that deal). 

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

(BTW he's one of those weird guys who looks much older than 27. You remember back in high school when you met guys with grey hair, or already balding? It's kinda that deal). 

You mean like Ovechkin who’s “35”...

Anyhow, as long as Hags doesn’t sniff the top 6 then I feel ok with the lineup.

So I didn’t actually realize the Connolly had signed. I’m stunned the Caps let him get away when he only signed for $3.5 million annually. That’s a nothing contract to bring him back on. Bad move by the Caps 

2 hours ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I think the four year contracts are related to the idea that a lockout or work stoppage is highly expected in the NHL in 3 years. Not sure why GMBM did 4 yrs, I just assume it’s related to that.

This could be true but I think it’s mainly for a lower AAV, these contracts can be moved pretty easily. Ovechkin and Bäckström probably have another 4-5 years of solid production and he knows the top 6 will be locked up (assuming Nicky and Ovi get their new deals) and maybe wants the bottom six lined up for a while also. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 1:01 PM, Hersh said:

So I didn’t actually realize the Connolly had signed. I’m stunned the Caps let him get away when he only signed for $3.5 million annually. That’s a nothing contract to bring him back on. Bad move by the Caps 

Late to the party on this, but... the Caps can't afford that kind of contract, unfortunately.  As it is, they still need to make a move in order to fill a 23 man roster under the cap even with Vrana signing a surprisingly cheap contract.

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So Oshie is gonna turn into a bad contract huh

You're just realizing this?  LOL. 

I'm HOPING he'll end up in Seattle.  He'd be a perfect ambassador for that franchise and a good first captain.  If not, he'll end up getting the David Clarkson/Nathan Horton treatment.  No way he's on the roster here in DC by the time his contract expires in 2025, or whenever it is. 

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, max21 said:

I hope he isn’t suspended but also hope he gets the help he needs. 

He can't be suspended by the Caps or NHL.  He's good in that regard.

That being said, coke use around the league is more common than a lot of people think.  And it's been that way FOREVER.  The stories I've heard....LOL

Honestly, I couldn't care less about what Kuzy does off the ice.  Folks are quick to point out the down season he had this year and make the connection to his coke usage.  Just remember, there's probably a good chance he was using booger sugar during the cup run when he was on fire. 

He's dumb for getting caught seeing as though the drug SHOULD be out of his system within a few days.  If he gets help, great...if he cuts back, great as well.  Just do what you need to do to get yourself ready for the upcoming season. 

*Coke is NOT a banned substance in the NHL...which is why there is such high usage amongst MANY of the players. 

Archived