Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

4 hours ago, hockeysc23 said:

And a large increase from several years ago. I got two pairs of pants and two megna twigs. 

It was $90 per stick last year.

Used sticks, **** son.  Used Holtby, $1000.  Crazy.  Used Kuzy is $250.  Didn’t pay attention to Ovie cause he’s a right shot.

That said, the street equivalent of those sticks was $240-290 each.  $100 for the pro version is great.

It was weird about the curves though.  Backy, Bura and Vrana were all similar, non aggressive curves.  Orlov seemed to have the biggest curve at the toe of the left shots and he plays D.

15 hours ago, Springfield said:

It was $90 per stick last year.

Used sticks, **** son.  Used Holtby, $1000.  Crazy.  Used Kuzy is $250.  Didn’t pay attention to Ovie cause he’s a right shot.

That said, the street equivalent of those sticks was $240-290 each.  $100 for the pro version is great.

It was weird about the curves though.  Backy, Bura and Vrana were all similar, non aggressive curves.  Orlov seemed to have the biggest curve at the toe of the left shots and he plays D.

Yes but 2 years before they were 80. Year before that was 50 each and they never had the crazy tiers on used player gear. Got an Ovie stick once. What a curve. 

So not bad just increased a lot through the years. Still thankful for it because there are gems in there. Orlov used to have a very whippy toe curve. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/28/capitals-trade-forward-andre-burakovsky-colorado-avalanche-two-draft-picks/?utm_term=.02f1c15b5301

Capitals trade forward Andre Burakovsky to Colorado Avalanche for two draft picks

June 28 at 4:41 PM

The Washington Capitals have traded forward Andre Burakovsky to the Colorado Avalanche for second- and third-round picks in the 2020 NHL draft, the team announced Friday. Burakovsky requested the trade, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Pending unrestricted free agent forward Scott Kosmachuk was also a part of the deal, but he’s unlikely to be included in the Capitals’ plans.

Burakovsky, 24, has been the subject of trade speculation since December, and this move comes three days after the team extended the restricted free agent a qualifying offer worth $3.25 million — an overpay given that he has scored 12 goals with 13 assists in each of the past two seasons. Washington did that to retain his negotiating rights, unwilling to let the 2013 first-round pick become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Trading him means the Capitals will get a solid return on an asset, and they now have more salary-cap freedom to re-sign restricted free agent forward Jakub Vrana and potentially add a middle-six forward in free agency next week. With the NHL’s salary-cap ceiling set at $81.5 million for next season, Washington has roughly $9.2 million in space, according to CapFriendly.com. If Vrana, who scored 24 goals with 23 assists last season, signs a bridge deal two or three years in length, he’s expected to take up slightly less than $4 million of that.

Capitals General Manager Brian MacLellan acknowledged last week that other teams had inquired about Burakovsky’s availability.

“We like the player,” MacLellan said Thursday. “There’s been some inconsistencies there, but when he’s on his game, he’s a good player. We’d like to keep him around, but obviously his name is out there a little bit, so we do talk to some teams about him. But we’re not going to move him unless we get something we’re comfortable with back.”

MacLellan made similar comments around the trade deadline in February, when it looked as if Burakovsky could be moved. At the time, the Capitals were interested in receiving a comparable young forward in return, rather than draft picks. Burakovsky’s production had flatlined with Washington, and he likely requested the trade in hope of a fresh start with a new organization, where he could potentially have an opportunity to move into a top-six role.

After Burakovsky had just five goals and four assists in his first 41 games of the season, he put up seven goals and nine assists in his final 35 games. MacLellan described the season as “frustrating,” and that description could also apply to Burakovsky’s career in Washington. He has been streaky throughout his five seasons in the league, alternating between showing bursts of the speed and skill that made him an impressive prospect and prolonged slumps that could make him a lineup liability.

Burakovsky scored two goals in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Tampa Bay Lightning during the team’s 2018 Stanley Cup championship run and was again one of the Capitals’ best skaters in Game 7 against the Carolina Hurricanes, who beat them this year to end their title defense in the first round. But he was a healthy scratch in six games during the 2018-19 campaign.

The Capitals now have a need for a third-line right wing, and it’s possible they could re-sign pending unrestricted free agent Brett Connolly, who scored 22 goals in that role this past. Washington could also target a player from outside the organization, like Joonas Donskoi or Marcus Johansson, who played for the Capitals from 2010 to 2017. The team also recently inquired about Minnesota winger Jason Zucker as a trade target, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, but his $5.5 million salary-cap hit was prohibitive. Dealing Burakovsky could open up that possibility again.

The Capitals currently hold seven picks in the 2020 draft, including two third-round selections.

Coming off a first-round playoff loss to Carolina, Washington has now traded two members of its 2018 Stanley Cup championship roster in the past two weeks in defenseman Matt Niskanen and Burakovsky. Defenseman Brooks Orpik, an alternate captain the past five years, retired earlier this week, adding to the turnover.

We will always have ECF game 7 to fondly remember Wislon's little brother...

17 hours ago, spjunkies said:

You couldn't get more for a young stud? Really????

You are always worth what someone will give up to get you in a trade. Or in free agency, you are worth what someone will pay you. The fact this is what they got shows how much he was valued around the league. He asked for a trade at the trade deadline and according to the GM they shopped him. But got the Caps couldn’t get a return worth it. Now this is what he is worth and I’m glad the Caps got something for him.

22 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Nice to see we're loading up on draft picks for the post-Backstrom years (yes, i said Backstrom. I think he'll drop off faster -- far faster -- than OV). 

Backstrom's game is 90% awareness and touch.  I wouldn't expect to see him regress that much with age.

I bash GMBM regularly but this is a good trade. Maybe even a great trade. Some of the salary cap issues are self-inflicted but Bura never developed with the Caps. You can’t tie up big money on him given the current state of the Caps.

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

I know his name but is he any good?

Solid signing especially given price with his age and ability. Great third liner that can PK. Wish the term was 3 years but that’s unrealistic. 

Think of it like connolly a few years ago. Getting in cheap. 

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/07/01/capitals-sign-former-flames-forward-garnet-hathaway-to-four-year-deal/

Capitals sign former Flames forward Garnet Hathaway to four-year deal

The Washington Capitals continue to address their bottom six forward depth through free agency.

Monday afternoon, The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun reported that the Capitals signed Garnet Hathaway to a four-year, $6 million deal worth $1.5 million annually.

Garnet Hathaway has signed with the Washington Capitals, 4 years times $1.5 M AAV

— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) July 1, 2019

Hathaway joins Richard Panik, who reportedly agreed to a four-year contract the night before. Panik will likely serve as the team’s third-line right wing next season.

Hathaway has spent parts of four seasons in the NHL with the Flames. The 27-year-old forward had his biggest season as a pro last year, scoring 11 goals and 19 points in his first full season in the NHL (76 games).

Hathaway’s biggest strength would be his penalty killing, which the Capitals are in desperate need of.

Garnet Hathaway, 4×1.5m with Washington, is an average forward with some very strong penalty killing results. pic.twitter.com/zCMtEp1s9z

— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) July 1, 2019

The 6-foot, 2-inch right wing also has an edge to his game.

LOVE this signing. Takes the fighting off 43's shoulders and lets him concentrate on being a top 6 forward.

WOW, Montreal signed Sebastian Aho to an offer sheet. One that would make Carolina spend BIG money in years 1 & 2....

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27098511/habs-try-get-canes-aho-via-rare-offer-sheet

The Montreal Canadiens have tendered an offer sheet to Carolina Hurricanesrestricted free agent center Sebastian Aho worth five years and $42.27 million.

Aho has signed the offer sheet, so the Hurricanes will have one week to match the offer or let their 21-year old leading scorer slip away to Montreal. If they let him leave, Carolina would receive a first, second and third-round pick in the 2020 NHL draft.

It's the first offer sheet in the NHL since 2013, when the Calgary Flamesunsuccessfully tendered an offer sheet to Colorado center Ryan O'Reilly.

Aho led the Hurricanes with 83 points, with career highs of 30 goals and 53 assists in 82 games. In three years with the Hurricanes, Aho has 197 points (83 goals, 114 assists) in 242 games.

The contract tendered by the Canadiens is loaded with bonus money in an attempt to dissuade the Hurricanes from matching it. The offer sheet features $11.3 million in signing bonus money in the first year, and then $9.87 million in signing bonus money in the second year -- the idea being that the Hurricanes would bristle at having to ante up $21.17 million to Aho in the span of a year. It also carries trade protection in the latter years of the deal.

The term of the contract would walk Aho up to unrestricted free agency.

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said the team is reviewing the offer sheet to Aho, which they received at 2:40 p.m. on email. He said the term, rather than the average annual value of $8.454 million, is the problematic part of the offer sheet.

"We look at Sebastian as our best player. We certainly wanted to keep him long term," he said, joking that "I know my summer just got better, because I'm not going to be negotiating a contract all summer. We make a decision and move on."

Waddell said he wasn't sure how much of the seven-day span he would take in either matching or letting Aho walk.

"There's no reason to do it immediately. It could help the team if I do it immediately," he said, adding that matching sooner would allow the Canadiens to offer sheet another player with their available picks.

The Hurricanes have been steadfast in saying that they would match any offer sheet given to Aho, and that they planned to have him signed before training camp.

"I know he's going to play for us. I don't know how we're going to get it done, but we're going to get it done," owner Tom Dundon told ESPN in February.

A former second-round draft pick, Aho has increased his goals and assists in each of his three seasons in the league. He led the team in goals and was second in assists this season.

He also led Carolina in points during the playoffs with five goals and seven assists in 15 games.

Aho is coming off his three-year entry-level contract that carried a cap hit of $925,000.

In January, the Hurricanes took their other big potential restricted free agent off the table when they signed forward Teuvo Teravainen to a five-year, $27 million deal.

7 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I know we've brought in some replacements, but losing Niskanen, Connolly and Burakovsky...looks like a clear step backwards to me. 

I liked all 3 of those guys but their loss isn't as bad as it looks on paper.  Niskanen took a big step backwards last year, and considering his age it's unlikely he'll get it back.  He's a #4 defenseman at this point, and at a cap hit of almost $6 million that's not good enough.  Jensen should compensate.  And if our D isn't good next year, it'll be because none of the young guys step up, not because we lost Niskanen. 

Connolly is a casualty of today's NHL salary cap - you pick up guys like him on the cheap to fill out your bottom lines and hope they can overachieve (which is exactly what he did over the past few seasons).  When they do, someone is going to overpay for them, and I'm glad it wasn't us. 

I will miss Bura and wish we would've given him one more year to get that breakout season we've all been hoping for.  I won't be resentful at all if he does it with the Avs, but the Caps had been betting on that for many years and with the exception of one memorable playoff game and a few hot stretches here and there, it didn't materialize and salary cap considerations forced the Caps to fold the hand.

We were so fortunate to keep the whole team (sans coach) together after the Cup win.  The truth is that most teams have to part with solid players.  Next year could be even tougher for the Caps.

Who isn’t really all that good imo.  I hope Carolina lets Montreal take that hit.

As far as our moves, it’s all bottom line stuff so far.  I think this team can still be as good next season assuming guys like Kuzy, Backstrom and Oshie step up. Hoping Vrana can keep developing too.

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

I know we've brought in some replacements, but losing Niskanen, Connolly and Burakovsky...looks like a clear step backwards to me. 

Burakovsky was never going to make it here. Niskanen was declining and Connolly will never repeat what he did last year.

I’m honestly excited for some new blood. Not to mention Wilson, Gudas and Hathaway were not going to be a fun team to play against. Niskanen sucked last year and I didn’t want to see another year of Burakovsky be a healthy scratch and invisible at times. Connolly is the only one I would have liked to keep but our depth scoring and bottom 6 doesn’t look bad IMO. 

Archived