Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

Classic Boston fan. Of course there were some people like that in this thread during the first round of last year. It was quite a sight to see. 

Yeah, there's a not-insignificant amount of fans who say they don't even pay attention to the regular season and only get into it at all for the playoffs....even after a Cup run.

I went to one Caps game this year (actually two, but one was in Vegas) and the people behind me spent all game complaining about how bad the Caps sucked.

Sigh. Well at least we won our Cup before the Blues. 

That said, welcome to the club, St Louis.

Thankfully, I don't see Buffalo or Vancouver winning a Cup in my lifetime. Buffalo is just a cursed town that will

never win a championship, and Vancouver had their shot with Bure and the Sedin brothers, and they still blew it. 

Haha Bruins choke game 7 at home ... screw you spoiled Boston sports fans!

14 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Raise your hand if you thought, "Craig Berube, future Stanley Cup winning coach" when he wss racking up all those penalty minutes....

The Hunter / Simon / Berube line was someting fierce during that '98 Cup run.  Though I thought if any of those players would have won a Cup as a coach, it would have been Hunter.  I think Hunter probably could, but doesn't want to deal with the NHL. 

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Goodbye Niskanen 

Thinking they did this to clear some cap space, Niskanen didn’t have the best year last year. More money to re sign holtby and Backstrom? 

Holy crap, Philly is retaining 30% of the Gudas cap hit, so he only counts $2.345M against the cap.  Saves the Caps $3.405M in cap space, and Gudas is a UFA next year.

The 2 big signings from BMac's first offseason in charge both gone. And people criticized the money and years he gave them!

50 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Do you guys think a speed line of Vrana - Kuznetsov - Hagelin would work for next year? 

If they keep him, they need to leave Haglin on a checking line I think.. He's fast but his lack of skills will hamper any top 6 trio, imo.. Need to hope Oshie stays healthy. 

Other thank his PK prowess, I was largely unimpressed by Hagelin.  He's fast but can't handle the puck or shoot for ****.

Also, I read last night a GREAT statistic.

Tampa bay won more games in the regular season, than the Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues won in both the regular season and post season combined.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Other thank his PK prowess, I was largely unimpressed by Hagelin.  He's fast but can't handle the puck or shoot for ****.

Hagelin’s acquisition coincided with the Caps driving possession again in transition, becoming the best team in the NHL until Kempney went down. If Kempney doesn’t get hurt, the Caps would have been a juggernaut entering the playoffs. Unfortunately, he did get hurt and then Oshie got hurt. Offloading the black hole that was Niskanen (possession wise) will help, but Hagelin was a god send in transition. 

Seriously doubt we'll want to pay Hagelin anyway, for what he does.. I'd think either Connolly or Burt are also gone. We're not in a cap friendly place.. It was huge moving Niskanen, but that still doesn't leave enough to sign but "maybe" one of those 3.. 

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I am guessing that the Caps won’t resign Holtby and could even look to trade him now. I love the guy but the business side of it makes it tough to keep him long term.

It’s either now or at the deadline, assuming his contract is up this year.  Copley wasn’t good so I hope Samsanov can step in.

Is the salary cap going up or something? Just not seeing how/why they can afford a 4th line penalty killer at 2.75 mil.. But, it's done now. Should of just kept Beagle, he was the best faceoff guy on the team. (and would of probably took 2.75x4) 

On 6/15/2019 at 4:47 PM, Hersh said:

I am guessing that the Caps won’t resign Holtby and could even look to trade him now. I love the guy but the business side of it makes it tough to keep him long term.

I'm okay with keeping him because we still have a Cup contending roster with him this year. As someone else said earlier if not for injuries to Kempney and then Oshie we roll the Canes and probably make it to at least the ECF if not SCF again.

Archived