Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't put it on him. I put it on GMBM. He's dolled out a lot of big contracts and no new blood has been added via the draft and that is a huge problem. 

I think Trotz would have gotten more out of our defensemen than Rierden did.  Losing Kempney sucked but I think Trotz would have had a plan.

Also, it is of note that we were simply healthier last season.  Not an excuse, but certainly an advantage.

Also, Hags added zero offense to the team. Fast guy and played well on the PK but he didn’t help the team score goals.

Also, it’s a shame we never saw Kuzy with Ovechkin and Wilson.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we have probably one more legit Cup run in us but we have to retool the D corps. The offensive lines are mostly pretty good but we need more consistency from the young up and comers like Kuzy, Vrana, Bura etc.

It'd be nice if Holtby could return to Vezina form too. He's so painfully inconsistent these days.

I agree with this because in a couple years most of the D corp will be over 30 but I don't trust the GM right now. The only guy they might move is Niskanen. Siegenthaler will be there so it if they don't move anyone, the D won't change at all except Brooks being gone. 

I hate to say it cause I love Holtby, but it may be time to move him. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think Trotz would have gotten more out of our defensemen than Rierden did.  Losing Kempney sucked but I think Trotz would have had a plan.

Also, it is of note that we were simply healthier last season.  Not an excuse, but certainly an advantage.

Also, Hags added zero offense to the team. Fast guy and played well on the PK but he didn’t help the team score goals.

Also, it’s a shame we never saw Kuzy with Ovechkin and Wilson.

100% spot on and well said. The reason I don't blame Reirdon is that Reirdon didn't elevate himself. GMBM is the one that let Trotz go so that's why I say I blame him. 

It was absurd that we didn't see 8-92-43 all series. 

10 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Of the remaining teams, I'd like to see Colorado, San Jose, Dallas, Columbus or Boston win. 

NOT NYI they are a traditional rival.

NOT Carolina don't want to see some expansion team with more Cups than us.

And most of all NOT St Louis. They must be kept out of the Cup club. 

F Boston.  That city has been so spoiled by sports championships.

Carolina not an expansion franchise.  They use to be the Hartford Whalers. 

Defintiely rooting for San Jose from here on. 

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

F Boston.  That city has been so spoiled by sports championships.

Carolina not an expansion franchise.  They use to be the Hartford Whalers. 

Defintiely rooting for San Jose from here on. 

Anyone But Boston

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

So let me get this straight: they went from a guy, who got them their first cup, and let him go, to a team in our division who is now ahead...because they didn't want to a bit of extra money?

Yes. They didn't want to commit the years or the money. I mean, why would you want to pay the guy that leads the team the first ever Stanley Cup in DC

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Yes. They didn't want to commit the years or the money. I mean, why would you want to pay the guy that leads the team the first ever Stanley Cup in DC

Well, we had out chance, its now over. We could've won many, but we have one. All because the owner is a moron...sounds familiar.

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

The players play, not the coach. If the defensive players tighten it up the way Carolina did after giving up 2 goals in the first 6 min, Washington would have won 3-1....

You don't think coaches are important?

15 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

The players play, not the coach. If the defensive players tighten it up the way Carolina did after giving up 2 goals in the first 6 min, Washington would have won 3-1....

And if the Capitals would have scored on that PP chance, instead of giving up that shorty 

Caroluna didn't score off of their own brilliance, hats off to them for continuously grinding and getting in the right spots. Multiple times they set up the play where they had guy moving up from blue line with slap shot. They had a couple 2 on 1s or in on Holtby.

It looked like the Caps thought they would score a point by cycling the puck... at some point it has to result in a productive shot. After the 3rd goal, they couldn't generate. Hurricanes set a defense and looked like they had Capitals figured out.

13 minutes ago, c slag said:

And if the Capitals would have scored on that PP chance, instead of giving up that shorty 

and if kuzy wouldve gotten that pass in OT when he was wide open

and if they shot the puck instead of trying to make a fancy pass with 2 minutes left

and if they stayed aggressive to the puck in the 2nd/3rd like they were in the 1st, instead of watching it come to them

.... ugh...

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

Caroluna didn't score off of their own brilliance, hats off to them for continuously grinding and getting in the right spots. Multiple times they set up the play where they had guy moving up from blue line with slap shot. They had a couple 2 on 1s or in on Holtby.

It looked like the Caps thought they would score a point by cycling the puck... at some point it has to result in a productive shot. After the 3rd goal, they couldn't generate. Hurricanes set a defense and looked like they had Capitals figured out.

And a good coach makes adjustments. 

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

An amazing run. Seriously what a ride the last 12 months. Has there ever been a more fun champion?

As for another shot at the Cup? I think we got 2 years of Ovi/Backstrom playing at this level. Go all in one way or another. This franchise probably never gets an Ovechkin again 

Capitals lose in 5 or 6 without Ovechkin being a monster this series.

If he continues at this level, they have probably two more chances to win and then it's rebuild. Agree, go all in for right now.

I think it sucks that the Caps and Trotz parted ways after the Cup season but remember that it took Barry until his 4th season to get there. He suffered the same fate as Caps coaches before him his first three seasons (well, three second round exits). Nonetheless, he is a good coach and I hope he takes NYI far into the playoffs now. 

Any chance we see an Ovechkin and backstrom extension soon? 

7 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I have 0 interest in any of the second round matchups. And not just cuz I'm a Caps fan. NHL could be facing a ratings nightmare. 

This. The only team I want to watch is San Jose and they usually play at like 10:30. So I usually don’t watch those

6 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Capitals lose in 5 or 6 without Ovechkin being a monster this series.

If he continues at this level, they have probably two more chances to win and then it's rebuild. Agree, go all in for right now.

Backstrom was also huge and he’s under contract for only one more season. The Caps have no ability to rebuild for at least 4 seasons

I enjoy hockey but I'm not the die hard some of you are and am not as familiar with how heated the rivalries are, except Pitt, I know rooting for Crosby is bad in all circumstances.

I liked Trotz and would probably root for the Islanders from here on out.  Is this permissable or are they too much of a hated rival?

Archived