• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      The Bill Callahan era began here at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. For the first quarter it was really,really bad football being played by both teams. 
      The Redskins were determined to establish the Run game. The First Quarter all they established was that they still couldn’t run. Or pass. Or do much of anything. 

It wasn’t until the 2nd Quarter that Peterson was able to start ripping the worst Run D in the League for chunks of 18 & 24 yards. The Skins managed to score a TD with a 25 yard pass to Scary Terry McLaurin. 

The Dolphins would open the Second Half only managing five plays before the Redskins would get the ball punted back to them. They would run a balanced run/pass attack of six plays for 70 yards in 1:25 ending in McLaurin’s second touchdown of the day. The Defense would then get a turnover allowing the Offense to get to Field Goal range and add another 3 points to make the score 17-3. 

To open the Fourth Quarter, Hopkins would miss a 55 yard Field Goal, leaving the score at 17-3.  After being sacked five times, the Dolphins would pull their own switcharoo at QB and go to Ryan “Neckbeard” Fitzpatrick which resulted in a touchdown drive for them, making it 17-10. They went for & recovered the Onside Kick. They also managed to not score any points after that. The Dolphins would find theirselves with ball at the 2:00 Warning. Fitzpatrick would take them on a 9 play 75 yard touchdown drive with six seconds remaining on the clock. Miami went for the win with the 2 Point Conversion and failed. The Redskins would recover the onside kick by Miami and Keenum took a knee to get the Redskins their first win of the season. 
ixcuincle

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

Just now, zskins said:

How much more was Barry asking for? Didn't look like a lot though for a coach that got you the cup. 

I think the fear was that we'd lose Reirden and didn't want to lose the heir apparent if Trotz was only sticking around a few years.

Todd has some serious work to do this offseason.  He's got a good team, he's gonna be in the playoffs in future years, he needs to figure out how to tighten up the team in the playoffs or he won't be coach for too many more years.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Well...young legs carry the day and injuries add up.

I could complain about some calls or Holtby but I’ll let the canes enjoy this...they were due.

I was happy the Caps learned how to cheat in OT. They were committing crazy penalties knowing they wouldn’t be called. 

I will blame Holtby though. He has to stop those pucks in regulation. He played well in OT, but it never gets there if he does his job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Huge lost opportunity considering Tampa and Pens are out. 

Nah. Hockey just isn't like that and the Caps do look spent. They weren't great this season except for a couple stretches. 

Not one time did last year we look as ill prepared defensively. Jesus. It was inevitable because every single time in the defensive zone they passed along the board after just gliding with no speed. They played like it was practice

I'm not putting too much on Rierdan. Its not on him that we have an old, slow D corps. Or that Kuznetsov was largely invisible this series.

Just realized it was JDub...again. F that old fart. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm not putting too much on Rierdan. Its not on him that we have an old, slow D corps. Or that Kuznetsov was largely invisible this series.

Orpik needs to go. Enough experimenting with him. Nice guy, but he's a fossil. 

Just now, Hersh said:

Nah. Hockey just isn't like that and the Caps do look spent. They weren't great this season except for a couple stretches. 

Exactly. Hockey is a crazy strange sport and this year is one of the craziest ever. ALL #1 seeds got knocked out in round 1.

I'm not sold we'd beat the islanders or the Blue Jackets/Bruins winner.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I will also say that I think the Capitals are just spent as a team. It's been a long three seasons. There might be some relief for Caps players. Ovechkin didn't seem to upset. They need a chance to have a long off-season

There’s that, and along a similar line of thinking... they’re getting older. Was thinking last year before they went on their ridiculous hot streak that the window might be closing. Still think it’s heading in that direction.

We might have another run in us in the next couple years but frankly I’d be surprised if we made another Cup finals in the Ovechkin era. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

We got dominated in overtime. Had chances. A 2 on 1, powerplay, probably had calls go our way in OT.

Failed to shoot when we needed to, same with passing. Couldn't keep any pressure in the zone. Lots of errant passes. They bodied us better on the walls. 

Both teams were sloppy, but we made more mistakes, were more gassed, and I liked their approach better in OT.

• Like 1

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

We might have another run in us in the next couple years but frankly I’d be surprised if we made another Cup finals in the Ovechkin era. 

Tonight hurts a little less due to the Cup banner allready hanging in the rafters 

• Like 2

Sucks that some freak team in the East is going to get a shot at the Cup. 

Hockey is so anti-Darwinistic. 

Just now, c slag said:

Tonight hurts a little less due to the Cup banner allready hanging in the rafters 

Exactly how I feel.  The level of frustration is less.  Still disappointing though.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

There’s that, and along a similar line of thinking... they’re getting older. Was thinking last year before they went on their ridiculous hot streak that the window might be closing. Still think it’s heading in that direction.

I think we have probably one more legit Cup run in us but we have to retool the D corps. The offensive lines are mostly pretty good but we need more consistency from the young up and comers like Kuzy, Vrana, Bura etc.

It'd be nice if Holtby could return to Vezina form too. He's so painfully inconsistent these days.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Blue Jackets clear favorite to make the Finals. 

I think NYI are the best team left. Trotzy about to go back to back now

1 minute ago, China said:

Exactly how I feel.  The level of frustration is less.  Still disappointing though.

Yeah more disappointing than gut wrenching.

Not gonna win a championship every year. Unreasonable.

2 minutes ago, c slag said:

I’m not mad at all. Repeats are rare. Caps got it done last year. I’ll ride that high for a decade. :ols: 

• Like 3

Just now, mammajamma said:

I think NYI are the best team left. Trotzy about to go back to back now

Jackets are bristling with talent. The Islanders are all smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 1

An amazing run. Seriously what a ride the last 12 months. Has there ever been a more fun champion?

As for another shot at the Cup? I think we got 2 years of Ovi/Backstrom playing at this level. Go all in one way or another. This franchise probably never gets an Ovechkin again 

• Like 5

I have 0 interest in any of the second round matchups. And not just cuz I'm a Caps fan. NHL could be facing a ratings nightmare. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't put it on him. I put it on GMBM. He's dolled out a lot of big contracts and no new blood has been added via the draft and that is a huge problem. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't put it on him. I put it on GMBM. He's dolled out a lot of big contracts and no new blood has been added via the draft and that is a huge problem. 

Eh. Hags and jensen were pretty big pickups for us. He couldn't have guessed that Oshie would be out, and Vrana and Kuzy would forget the bus to the playoffs. Definitely need fresh blood on D during the off-season though

4 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I have 0 interest in any of the second round matchups. And not just cuz I'm a Caps fan. NHL could be facing a ratings nightmare. 

Boston, New York, Colorado and St Louis are all compelling teams.

I think that NYI is my favorite at this point.  That stifling style that Trotz plays is built for playoff success.

Of the remaining teams, I'd like to see Colorado, San Jose, Dallas, Columbus or Boston win. 

NOT NYI they are a traditional rival.

NOT Carolina don't want to see some expansion team with more Cups than us.

And most of all NOT St Louis. They must be kept out of the Cup club. 

A disappointing loss, but as said before, stings less with a cup. Canes deserved it with the way they played in OT. 

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

Eh. Hags and jensen were pretty big pickups for us. He couldn't have guessed that Oshie would be out, and Vrana and Kuzy would forget the bus to the playoffs. Definitely need fresh blood on D during the off-season though

Agreed. Add the Kempny injury as well, which forced playing Djoos and Siegenthaler. I don't know if anyone thought they would have to rely on Orpik this much this year, but I actually think he was one of the more consistent D men in the series. But some younger D men are definitely in order for this team.