Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I'll wait until the off-season to weigh in on the coaching decision but to be fair to Reirden, Kuzy has been the key the last 3 seasons. When he finally showed up, the Caps won the Cup. I think the underrated brilliance of Ovechkin and Backstrom is that they almost always show up in the playoffs. Kuzy does not have that reputation as of now. 

I missed the 3rd and was glad I did. Carolina took control in the 2nd, even if there should have been a penalty on the tying goal. They outplayed the Caps and if that’s what the 3rd looked like, it’s not surprising the Caps lost. 

As for the waived off goal, having not been involved in the emotion of the game and seeing it after the fact, I can see why they waived it off. There was contact and the puck went into the net. From the angles I saw, it’s possible the puck was loose, but you couldn’t really see it to know for sure. It happened so fast. I don’t blame Ovechkin as he’s doing his job. It’s a shame they didn’t get that call, but you have to sack up and outplay the other team. In game 5, they overcame a bunch of terrible calls and dominated. That’s what you have to do if you want to win. 

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Shocked at all the complaining about the ovie no goal..,it was def a no goal u can clearly see Ovie shove the pad of the goalie...that being said no way we lose game 7 is there?!?

I didn't see a replay in which I could see Ovechkin actually make contact with the goalie before the puck went in. I could see the puck shoot into the goal which doesn’t happen if Ovechkin hits the goalie pads. 

The difference so far between last year and this year(granted only one series)is the secondary scoring or lack thereof. The top line guys have performed but noone else is producing. The biggest culprit is of course Kuzy. Kid looked like a superstar last year, this year he's done squadoosh.

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The difference so far between last year and this year(granted only one series)is the secondary scoring or lack thereof. The top line guys have performed but noone else is producing. The biggest culprit is of course Kuzy. Kid looked like a superstar last year, this year he's done squadoosh.

The Caps think Evgeny Kuznetsov is one of the NHL’s best, but he just wants to have fun

"Kuznetsov smiled as that comment was relayed to him, then was asked whether winning the Hart Trophy, the NHL’s MVP award, is a goal.

“I don’t give [an expletive] about that,” he said. “To be MVP, you have to work hard 365 [days] in a year, but I’m not ready for that. I want to have fun, and I want to make those risky plays when sometimes you don’t have a play and you guys don’t understand every time those plays. It’s not easy to make. But to be MVP in this league, you have to play even better. You have to go next level. It’s not easy. More important, you have to stay focused 365 [days], but that’s not my style.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/12/caps-think-evgeny-kuznetsov-is-one-nhls-best-he-just-wants-have-fun/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.abb96e78e059

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

While you guys were watching the Caps squander an early lead, I was out here winning a championship myself.

Awesome. I was on the ice too but half our team was at the Canes game in Raleigh. We had 6 skaters. Maybe with the exception of the Stanley Cup Finals, I'd rather play a sport than watch.

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Awesome. I was on the ice too but half our team was at the Canes game in Raleigh. We had 6 skaters. Maybe with the exception of the Stanley Cup Finals, I'd rather play a sport than watch.

Yeah, we had a game scheduled at Reston last season during the finals.  They cancelled the game and rescheduled for later in the season for us.  Pretty cool of them.

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I’m the exact same way. I play softball with guys who won’t play because Duke and UNC are playing a regular season basketball game. They have moved our games because of the college basketball national championship. I love sports and watch as much as I can. But I’d never skip playing to watch. 

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

If you're worried about tomorrow, just remember we got our Cup and Tampa Bay's collapse is 100,000x worse than anything that MIGHT happen tomorrow.

Yes, we'll always have the Cup and I appreciate your positivity, but to end our title defense by getting bounced in the first round by a vastly inferior opponent would suck, and honestly this would be the biggest choke job in Caps history.  More than the 2010 collapse against Montreal, more than any of the blown 3-1 leads in the 80s and 90s, more than any of the letdowns versus Pittsburgh.  I don't care about officiating, league-wide parity, Oshie's injury, whatever; the Caps have no business losing this series.  Skill-wise the Canes aren't even in the same zip code as the Caps, we were up 2 games in the series, there's no "hot goalie" factor to blame", and last year's Cup win was supposed to make this team harder and tougher and hungrier.

I do think they'll pull it out tomorrow, but I'm very annoyed they let it get to this point.

2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Yes, we'll always have the Cup and I appreciate your positivity, but to end our title defense by getting bounced in the first round by a vastly inferior opponent would suck, and honestly this would be the biggest choke job in Caps history.  More than the 2010 collapse against Montreal, more than any of the blown 3-1 leads in the 80s and 90s, more than any of the letdowns versus Pittsburgh.  I don't care about officiating, league-wide parity, Oshie's injury, whatever; the Caps have no business losing this series.  Skill-wise the Canes aren't even in the same zip code as the Caps, we were up 2 games in the series, there's no "hot goalie" factor to blame", and last year's Cup win was supposed to make this team harder and tougher and hungrier.

I do think they'll pull it out tomorrow, but I'm very annoyed they let it get to this point.

On December 30th, the Canes were 16 points behind the Caps with a 15-17-5 record. Since that time they had the 3rd most points in the entire league and finished 5 points behind the Caps.   That’s not an inferior team by much. 

Archived