ixcuincle

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

1067 today. "CAPS CHOKING AGAIN DIAL IN WILL REDSKINS DRAFT DWAYNE HASKINS CALL IN CALL IN HEY JUNKS IT'S BRUCE IN ASHBURN I WANTED TO KNOW IF WE COULD TRADE RYAN KERRIGAN TO NEW ENGLAND FOR TOM BRADY I WILL HANG UP AND LISTEN" 

 

terrible TERRIBLE station 

Eh I've been listening since Metallica intro'd them at 6am and it's pretty much been all Caps talk other than Feinstein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm used to the Caps making sure every series (except the SCF) goes 6-7 games, so normally I wouldn't be too concerned.  However, the loss of Oshie combined with only scoring 1 goal in 2 full games has me a lot more worried than I'd be otherwise.  The play on the ice looks pathetic at times and I'm not sure if it is due to guys nursing injuries or what but hopefully the home crowd can get them going again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game 5 is crucial. The Caps played much better last night, but still had 2 lapses that cost them the game. Carolina being at home seemed to really fire them up. It’s time for the Caps crowd to do the same. If you are going to the game, you need to get this team fired up. The series is never over until it’s over, but having a must win game at Carolina will be really tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Our offense is atrocious right now.... 5 on 5, they just simply outplay us. 

 

Let's be honest, the power play is almost worse than even strength right now.  They were very fortunate it was basically a 5v3 due to a broken stick or the Caps probably wouldn't have scored a single goal last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We look like the better team tonight and the numbers bear it out.

 

I like the effort.

I remember a time 13 hours ago when I agreed with this  😥

12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Plagued by that early goal again. Carolina scored 17 seconds in. 

And it stung even more because Laughlin had just finished complimenting them for winning the opening faceoff and bringing it quickly into the offensive zone...then boom, suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

 

Then Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay were unexpectedly swept. They are getting breaks like they haven't

seen  since the 1998 run. How could they not be motivated? 

Unless they're scared that all of the powerhouses in the East are getting run out of the building.. maybe they're spooked? Let's hope not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me, or does the PP look really lackadaisical?  The slingshot thing bothers me and seems to waste time, but I see these random back passes in the neutral zone that the back person isn't expecting and the puck just trickles away, forcing a reset.  And they seem in no hurry to actually go get the puck and bring it back.  Maybe I'm just frustrated watching this and it seems worse than it is.

 

On another note, while I enjoy hockey and have watched for years, I've never really bothered to study up on the rules much.  Someone explain line changes to me, I hear announcers talk about someone having the next change, etc.  Do the teams have to take turns, or can you swap players in and out as much as you want?  If a team conceivably had five cyborg type humans who never got tired, could you leave them out there for an entire period and the other team isn't allowed to sub until it is their turn, exhausting them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Oshie hurts. I still think we can beat the Canes without him but it'll certainly hurt our chances from the 2nd round on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

Game 5 is crucial. The Caps played much better last night, but still had 2 lapses that cost them the game. Carolina being at home seemed to really fire them up. It’s time for the Caps crowd to do the same. If you are going to the game, you need to get this team fired up. The series is never over until it’s over, but having a must win game at Carolina will be really tough.

I don't like seeing another team bully us. I'm used to the Caps being able to throw their own weight around pretty well, but it has felt like they were bullying us the last two games. Gotta sack up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Is it me, or does the PP look really lackadaisical?  The slingshot thing bothers me and seems to waste time, but I see these random back passes in the neutral zone that the back person isn't expecting and the puck just trickles away, forcing a reset.  And they seem in no hurry to actually go get the puck and bring it back.  Maybe I'm just frustrated watching this and it seems worse than it is.

 

On another note, while I enjoy hockey and have watched for years, I've never really bothered to study up on the rules much.  Someone explain line changes to me, I hear announcers talk about someone having the next change, etc.  Do the teams have to take turns, or can you swap players in and out as much as you want?  If a team conceivably had five cyborg type humans who never got tired, could you leave them out there for an entire period and the other team isn't allowed to sub until it is their turn, exhausting them?

 

The slinghsot entry is so frustrating to watch. I think they do it because they found that’s the best way to get in the zone. But like you, it seems they are making poor passes and just wasting time. Last night my brother and I were just shaking our heads every time they did that and then still dumped the puck in for Carolina to go get it and clear it again. It was especially bad on the crucial PP in the 3rd.

 

As as far as line changes, you can change as often as you want and put in whoever you want. The only restriction is that after your team commits icing, you can’t make a change until after the puck is dropped. And yes, you could leave the same players out the whole time. They switch because if you have ever skated, you know how exhausting it is. That doesn’t take into account skating hard and then taking hits. So guys get tired and tired guys get beat to loose pucks and blow assignments. However, I’m not sure Ovechkin left the ice the last 4 minutes of the game. If he did, it wasn’t for long. They’re anted him out there to score so they left him out there. So yeah, you can do that if your players can handle it.

Edited by Redskin4ever
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NEWS | Capitals have recalled forward Devante Smith-Pelly from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) and re-assigned goaltender Vitek Vanecek to Hershey

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

NEWS | Capitals have recalled forward Devante Smith-Pelly from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) and re-assigned goaltender Vitek Vanecek to Hershey

 

With Oshie out, they needed to replace him with a veteran. Plus, DSP brings a toughness the Caps seem to be missing this series. I don’t know if he can repeat his magic from last year, but I think his presence on the team will fire the guys up. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

As as far as line changes, you can change as often as you want and put in whoever you want. The only restriction is that after your team commits icing, you can’t make a change until after the puck is dropped. And yes, you could leave the same players out the whole time. They switch because if you have ever skated, you know how exhausting it is. That doesn’t take into account skating hard and then taking hits. So guys get tired and tired guys get beat to loose pucks and blow assignments. However, I’m not sure Ovechkin left the ice the last 4 minutes of the game. If he did, it wasn’t for long. They’re anted him out there to score so they left him out there. So yeah, you can do that if your players can handle it.

 

Okay thanks.  Maybe I've misheard, but I'd swear I've heard announcers use the phrases "Caps have the next change" or "Caps have the first change" or something like that.  So I had always assumed that once you rolled out a new line, you couldn't roll out another line until the opponent had done so, they had to take turns.  Guess I just misinterpreted that.  Not like I could follow it anyway, even when I've gone to a game in person, I couldn't keep track of everyone and how quickly they were on and off the ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forehead said:

 

Okay thanks.  Maybe I've misheard, but I'd swear I've heard announcers use the phrases "Caps have the next change" or "Caps have the first change" or something like that.  So I had always assumed that once you rolled out a new line, you couldn't roll out another line until the opponent had done so, they had to take turns.  Guess I just misinterpreted that.  Not like I could follow it anyway, even when I've gone to a game in person, I couldn't keep track of everyone and how quickly they were on and off the ice.

 

Ok, yeah there is a nuance to that. On play stoppages, the visiting team changes lines first, then the home team changes. Then the lines are set until puck drop. In the playoffs, it’s one of the advantages to having home ice. You see the line the other team puts out and then you can match the line you want. That’s what they mean by having the last change. But once the puck is in play, you can switch however you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they need to shake up the lines a bit.  I think they should put Kuzy with Ovie and Wilson again.  Burakovsky needs to step up and Vrana needs to figure it out again.

 

This series will tell us if Rierden is a good coach or not.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unreal that there isn't even a hearing or suspension for the hit on Oshie.

 

Imagine what would have happened if Wilson put that hit on someone on the Canes.

Edited by purbeast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Unreal that there isn't even a hearing or suspension for the hit on Oshie.

 

Imagine what would have happened if Wilson put that hit on someone on the Canes.

 

DOPS imagined it and has decided to issue a 20 game suspension to Tom Wilson.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hersh said:

 

Don't double down on this. Once you win a Cup, even with young superstars, you aren't building for future runs. If anything you are built to win again before everyone needs to get paid big dollars. 

Setting that aside, the Caps being built to win now doesn't make it easy. They've been really good in the playoffs the last three seasons and have a Cup to show for it. At some point they will have a bad playoff run.

 

 

 

We’re had many bad playoff runs. Crashing out first rounds or getting wrecked in second rounds.  Hunter’s team was the closest thing to a major run until last year.  We can’t compare ourselves to the Blackhawks or Kings. Not even close to their league in postseason success.  Those teams made their chances count and in dominating fashion in some cases. We finally broke through last year.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Unreal that there isn't even a hearing or suspension for the hit on Oshie.

 

Imagine what would have happened if Wilson put that hit on someone on the Canes.

 

Is the death penalty legal in NC?......cuz that’s what he would have been sentenced to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

 

We’re had many bad playoff runs. Crashing out first rounds or getting wrecked in second rounds.  Hunter’s team was the closest thing to a major run until last year.  We can’t compare ourselves to the Blackhawks or Kings. Not even close to their league in postseason success.  Those teams made their chances count and in dominating fashion in some cases. We finally broke through last year.

 

Is the death penalty legal in NC?......cuz that’s what he would have been sentenced to.

 

Hunter didn't make it any further than the 2009, 2015, 2016, or 2017 teams - which all lost very competitive second-round series.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

 

Hunter didn't make it any further than the 2009, 2015, 2016, or 2017 teams - which all lost very competitive second-round series.

 

 

Hunter was seconds from a ECF before a very stupid high sticking that  allowed the tying and winning goal that changed the series. For note I’m not a Hunter supporter either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reirden is overthinking the lines - go with what won the Cup.

 

It is time to bring back 8-92-43 and let them wreak havoc. I'd go with Vrana - Backstrom - Hagelin on line 2.

 

This way you get speed on both lines. Oshie - Backstrom - OV makes no sense because they are all slow. Hagelin and Vrana are blazers, and Kuz and Tom can skate well also.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Reirden is overthinking the lines - go with what won the Cup.

 

It is time to bring back 8-92-43 and let them wreak havoc. I'd go with Vrana - Backstrom - Hagelin on line 2.

 

This way you get speed on both lines. Oshie - Backstrom - OV makes no sense because they are all slow. Hagelin and Vrana are blazers, and Kuz and Tom can skate well also.

 

 

 

Seriously, if this series doesn’t see Ovie, Wilson, Kuzy then I’m done with Rierden as a coach.

 

Backstom, Ovie, WHOEVER is a proven loser and just because it worked this season for a fraction of a second doesn’t mean that they need to stick with it.  If Kuzy is gonna come out of his funk, give him Ovie and Wilson, a pair of wingers who he’s proven time and time again that he plays well with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely agree with 8-92-43, but this team needs 10-20-whomever to score something besides an empty net goal. I actually would bring back DSP cause he was clutch when it counted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.