Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Djoos has a ring.  He knows what needs to be done.  It would be better if Kempney were out there but it takes 4 other players and a goalie to play defense.  Our blind passes and bad exits killed us last game.  Djoos is only a small part of that.

Djoos, in limited ice time, has been on the ice for 4 goals against. That’s bad and worthy of a game as a spectator. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Id be all for putting Brooks Orpik in top 4 and having Djoos/Orlov/new guy whose name escapes me right now as a bottom pair.

You don’t need to roll that bottom pair all that much in the playoffs.

Speaking of Orlov, that guy is getting paid like a top pair defenseman and needs to play like one. He’s been invisible.

14 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Loverro just said that Rierden is on the hotseat.

Yes, after the rookie head coach took his team to win the division and to 2 straight wins in the playoffs followed by a dud, he is claming Reirden is on the hotseat.

Definitely not on the hot seat but Reirden and GMBM should be feeling pressure. GMBM chose to get rid of the guy that just led the Caps to winning the SC in order to promote Reirden. To see the Islanders dismantle the Pens and potentially get further than the Caps would not be a good look for either to put it kindly.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Djoos, in limited ice time, has been on the ice for 4 goals against. That’s bad and worthy of a game as a spectator. 

Speaking of Orlov, that guy is getting paid like a top pair defenseman and needs to play like one. He’s been invisible.

Ask, and ye shall receive...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/17/capitals-shake-up-lineup-search-game-spark/?utm_term=.34eab8bcfb60

"On defense, Jonas Siegenthaler appears as he will push into the lineup in place of Christian Djoos."

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not sure I understand switching Oshie and Wilson. The first line has been great. 

I think the intent was to get Oshie more involved in the game, and for Wilson to help provide a spark to the second line to get them contributing more.  Hopefully, Bura will take advantage of being promoted to the third line to help with their production as well.   If the fourth line doesn't increase its contribution in the next game or so, then we can always bring up DSP to possibly ignite that line as well.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Definitely not on the hot seat but Reirden and GMBM should be feeling pressure. GMBM chose to get rid of the guy that just led the Caps to winning the SC in order to promote Reirden. To see the Islanders dismantle the Pens and potentially get further than the Caps would not be a good look for either to put it kindly.

Disagree. Rookie coach does what he’s supposed to do (win the division) with no major fissures all year. GMBM made 2 solid moves at the deadline and won a fraking Stanley Cup last year. 

Both seats are chilly AF, esp considering Leonsis. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Disagree. Rookie coach does what he’s supposed to do (win the division) with no major fissures all year. GMBM made 2 solid moves at the deadline and won a fraking Stanley Cup last year. 

Both seats are chilly AF, esp considering Leonsis. 

Did you even read what I said?? I said they are "definitely not on the hot seat." Feeling pressure doesn't equal hot seat. 100 different coaches could've won the division with this team but that doesn't really matter at this point. It's all about the playoffs. It's unprecedented to get rid of a coach right after they win a Stanley Cup, let alone for the Caps given the past failures, when the coach would've returned. This team not getting to the Conference Finals at a minimum is a failure by the coach and gm given the significance of that move and they both know it given the situation. Especially with Trotz sitting there in the 2nd round. 

Hockey is a weird sport. Coaches get fired all the time. Coaches who have won more than Trotz have been canned. I think Torterella is coaching his fourth different team? The Blackhawks fired a guy who won them THREE Cups. The Penguins won a Cup, then fired a coach mid season and won a Cup with another coach. Its pretty absurd.

34 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Did you even read what I said?? I said they are "definitely not on the hot seat." Feeling pressure doesn't equal hot seat. 100 different coaches could've won the division with this team but that doesn't really matter at this point. It's all about the playoffs. It's unprecedented to get rid of a coach right after they win a Stanley Cup, let alone for the Caps given the past failures, when the coach would've returned. This team not getting to the Conference Finals at a minimum is a failure by the coach and gm given the significance of that move and they both know it given the situation. Especially with Trotz sitting there in the 2nd round. 

Yeah I’d agree.  If Rierden doesn’t make the second round with this roster but Trotz makes the second round with a **** roster then I’d be pretty disappointed.

Lol if you guys think GMBM or Rierden have anything to worry about you’re crazy. It took Ted how long to fire Randy Wittman and Ernie Grunfeld?

More importantly, the only reason Trotz isn’t back is money.  There is no salary cap for coaches... GMBM ideally would’ve loved Trotz back and would spend money on it if he could. That decision comes from above and it’s naive to think otherwise. 

Can we not post 1067 trolls in here. 1067 has the worst reliability of radio stations. They literally said Gruden had no input during offseason and then their OWN reporter contradicted their claim. "But someone told EB that Gruden had no input" spare me that crap. 1067 is crap. 

I'm probably staying at home to watch but just a note that they are opening Capital One Arena for a Game 4 Watch Party today. 

7 hours ago, c slag said:

Wasn't there something speculated that Trotz wanted a 5 year extension, and the team wasn't comfortable with that long of tenure?

The rumor is he told Tortarella after the CBJ series last year that he wasn't coming back. He didn't seem too interested in returning. 

Even if you discount that, his reluctance to play youth triggered a lot of people here in DC. They weren't happy that Vrana wasn't getting regular time. People were actually calling for him to be fired last year. 

The team gambled and chose to let him walk in favor of promoting the young head coach with potential. Reirden has done a decent job so far but he has his hands full with a hungry Canes team. To me it's far too early to judge on whether the decision to let Trotz walk was a failure on the Caps or not. 

17 hours ago, purbeast said:

No but his take is a microcosm of DC sports fans.

Unfunny Danny also thinks fighting should be taken out of the NHL, but oh hey he's fine with the NFL and how dangerous it is because they are taking measures to try and make the game safer.  And that dude has a show on the #1 DC sports radio station.

We are just a stupid fanbase for the most part with some stupid people in the local media too.

(and by we I don't mean here on ES, I just mean your average DC sports "fan" as a whole)

I'm sure Danny is the nicest guy in the world but he really has no business hosting a sports radio show in a market as large as DC.  This was proven again this past weekend when he was on twitter openly bragging that he was not watching a single second of Tiger Woods at The Masters as it was becoming obvious Tiger was going to win.  I'm sorry but given his profession you would think he'd want to at least fake like he was paying attention to what is one of the biggest sports stories of the year - and possibly, decade.  Add that to Grant being insufferable on the radio show (I thought he was a great beat reporter) and this is why I make zero effort to listen to 106.7 during their timeslot.

I guess I wrote that wall of text just to say that I'm not sure Danny Rouhlier and Thom Loverro speak to how most sports fans in the region feel.  I guess I could be wrong but I certainly don't get that impression.

8 hours ago, c slag said:

Wasn't there something speculated that Trotz wanted a 5 year extension, and the team wasn't comfortable with that long of tenure?

I think the story I heard that made the most sense for how everything transpired last year was something like this:

- Management had started to lose confidence in Trotz after they failed to beat Pittsburgh again in the 2017 playoffs and had identified Reirden as the coach-in-waiting when Trotz's contract expired

- It became obvious to Trotz that he was essentially a dead man walking and that there would be no plans to offer him a contract extension

- The team wasn't playing particularly well and it looked as if missing the playoffs was a possibility so it was planned that Trotz would be fired when the team returned from a West Coast trip in early March

- The Caps began to turn it around in the last game of that trip when they won in San Jose for the first time in something like 25 years, so they shelved the idea of firing him

The rest is history but I don't think Trotz had any intention of coming back after he felt disrespected by management/ownership and I can't say that I blame him.  GMBM has a ridiculously high batting average so hopefully this another one where he made the right decision and Reirden is the coach for a long time.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Caps having a viewing party in the arena tomorrow night!! Im surprised they’re doing one this early in the playoffs. I’ll be there though. $5 beers from 6:30 to 7 

Meh, they always have them around for the playoffs, having them in the first round is not new. they do about one every round. 

17 hours ago, purbeast said:

No but his take is a microcosm of DC sports fans.

Unfunny Danny also thinks fighting should be taken out of the NHL, but oh hey he's fine with the NFL and how dangerous it is because they are taking measures to try and make the game safer.  And that dude has a show on the #1 DC sports radio station.

We are just a stupid fanbase for the most part with some stupid people in the local media too.

(and by we I don't mean here on ES, I just mean your average DC sports "fan" as a whole)

1067 is just an awful station and I wouldn't listen to them for anything especially hockey related. These guys know football if they knew anything. The fact that they took some time out of their busy football / Redskins draft talk to spew some uneducated crap about "no fighting in hockey" or some other troll crap like Loverro saying "Reirden is fired" is absolutely stupid. They should just stick to football because they just come across as uneducated when they talk about anything else. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Meh, they always have them around for the playoffs, having them in the first round is not new. they do about one every round. 

Really? Like, at the arena? I follow the capitals on twitter and Facebook and i dont remember them posting any information on any viewing parties at the arena last year in the 1st round against CBJ, or against Pittsburgh in the 2nd round. The first one i remember them posting was the viewing party info for game 7 against Tampa, pretty much how i found out about it. 

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Really? Like, at the arena? I follow the capitals on twitter and Facebook and i dont remember them posting any information on any viewing parties at the arena last year in the 1st round against CBJ, or against Pittsburgh in the 2nd round. The first one i remember them posting was the viewing party info for game 7 against Tampa, pretty much how i found out about it. 

They did it before last year. Because the Wizards were in the playoffs I don't think they did them last year round 1. They did them instead at local restaurants like Yard House. 

27 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

They did it before last year. Because the Wizards were in the playoffs I don't think they did them last year round 1. They did them instead at local restaurants like Yard House. 

Wow. Must’ve not done a good job of spreading the word on twitter then 😂 for the arena viewing parties. 

Archived