Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

@ixcuincle I am sorry man but the title of this thread keeps on making me think we are still in 2017... lol

May I suggest that you change the thread title to something along these lines....

Washington Capitals - The Stanley Cup Champions!!! - 2018-2019 Season Thread

The off-season is implied and I am pretty sure most here know what year we won the cup. :D

I know what you mean by it but it just reads like it is last year's and this year's off-season thread. :P 

Just a thought. :) 

• ixcuincle changed the title to Washington Capitals - The Stanley Cup Champions!!! - 2018-2019 Season Thread
On 6/23/2018 at 6:20 PM, Popeman38 said:

3 items shipped from Fanatics yesterday, in 3 separate boxes, from the same shipped my address in Ohio. All three now in Pennsylvania. All three scheduled to be delivered on Thursday by the end of the day. How in the holy hell can it take a week to ship a package from Ohio to Virginia? It could literally be bags carried in that time. Or places in an Amish buggy. It is actually work to make mail go that slow. Effort is required. I ship stuff via FedEx all the time to California, cheapest freight, and it’s there in 3 days. 

Fanatics uses some bull**** Fedex Smartpost, it's so damn slow.  One of my packages was supposed to arrive Friday and it ended up coming Tuesday.  And to boot, it was one of the normal championship hats that I already owned and wanted one just to put on the mantle, and it had a huge slice across the brim.  

I bought it through Monumental Sports website which in the end ends up being Fanatics, but I didn't know that and it was a huge pain in the ass to try and contact them since there is a hidden phone number, and their suggestion to contact them is via chat.  However chat is only open on Monday, and I received it on a Tuesday...

I think that’s a decent deal for Carlson.  Glad he’s locked up.  Basically, all of PP1 is locked up for the next few years.

The only stuff I have left in preorder is from Amazon.  The championship Blu-ray and the Washington Post “Worth the Wait” book.

This team is looking to lock up a lot of their prime young talent long term and we've seen it in the past with Oshie and Orlov and Kuzy extended long term. This is only going to help, great to see Carlson as a mainstay in this team for the foreseeable future

Wilson has always been a mixed bag for me. He gets into too many penalties and draws too much negative attention for my liking. Then again he did have a killer speech at the parade. So I am mixed on him. 

Watching TV right now and someone yelled "Bye Felicia" and I had a flashback to the time I was at Game 6 of the ECF and some Lightning fans up in the 400's started walking down the steps with 5 minutes to go and someone yelled "Bye Felicia" at them :rofl89::bye:

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

This team is looking to lock up a lot of their prime young talent long term and we've seen it in the past with Oshie and Orlov and Kuzy extended long term. This is only going to help, great to see Carlson as a mainstay in this team for the foreseeable future

Thanks for changing the thread title. :cheers:

Even with a new coach they have to keep the core/key players on the roster and sign players like DSP on a long term, and by adding youth you can have some speed as well. If done correctly they can certainly go back-to-back. :) 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Wilson has always been a mixed bag for me. He gets into too many penalties and draws too much negative attention for my liking. Then again he did have a killer speech at the parade. So I am mixed on him. 

Watching TV right now and someone yelled "Bye Felicia" and I had a flashback to the time I was at Game 6 of the ECF and some Lightning fans up in the 400's started walking down the steps with 5 minutes to go and someone yelled "Bye Felicia" at them :rofl89::bye:

Every championship team in every sport has that guy, the guy everyone else hates that's an absolute pain in the ass but is also a beast and one of the heroes on the team. He's our version of Draymond Green.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Every championship team in every sport has that guy, the guy everyone else hates that's an absolute pain in the ass but is also a beast and one of the heroes on the team. He's our version of Draymond Green.

Capitals have had a few before

Dale Hunter  Chris Simon 

Craig Berube  Kevin Kaminsky

13 hours ago, Springfield said:

The only stuff I have left in preorder is from Amazon.  The championship Blu-ray and the Washington Post “Worth the Wait” book.

Thanks for posting this.  I ordered it for $35 from the Monumental Shop and just checked Amazon and it's $21 so I canceled my order from Monumental.

13 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Wilson is indispensable.  He's trending upwards on offense, arguably our best guy on the PK, and the opposition HAS to take account when he's on the ice.  Not to mention he drives possession like crazy. 

Hopefully he gets a 4-5 year deal 3.5AAV or something along those lines.  If any of the regular alternate captains have to miss time, he's the next guy that I'd like to see with the "A" on his sweater. 

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

There is zero reason to extend Burakovsky now. He's under contract for next season. Not everyone can be paid big money and on the Caps he is only going to be a 3rd line player. I

He's one guy who I can envision being traded at some point during the season.  Vrana has a higher upside, IMO. 

DSP will not be tendered a qualifying offer.  Will become an UFA on 7/1.  Probably a good move, as this removes arbitration from the table and will permit the Caps to negotiate a contract with him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2018/06/25/capitals-not-expected-to-give-devante-smith-pelly-qualifying-offer/?utm_term=.af5cc2626432

The Washington Capitals are not expected to qualify pending restricted free agent right wing Devante Smith-Pelly by Monday’s 5 p.m. deadline, meaning Smith-Pelly would become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation. The Capitals are expected to continue discussions with Smith-Pelly and could make a push to sign him in free agency, but he can also hear from other teams as part of this week’s “interview period” leading up to July 1 when free agents are eligible to sign.

The move is a surprising one considering Smith-Pelly was one of Washington’s top players in the team’s run to a Stanley Cup championship, scoring seven even-strength goals in 24 games to match his regular-season total. He played mostly on the fourth line, but he was also occasionally used in a top-six role, temporarily promoted to the top line beside center Evgeny Kuznetsov and Alex Ovechkin when right wing Tom Wilson was suspended three playoff games. Smith-Pelly’s strong postseason play could make him a coveted free agent.

His popularity in D.C. blossomed with his postseason heroics. The night the Capitals clinched their first Stanley Cup in franchise history — Smith-Pelly scored the game-tying goal in that Game 5 — fans in Las Vegas’s T-Mobile Arena chanted Ovechkin’s name, but then they chanted “D-S-P” for Smith-Pelly. When asked about Smith-Pelly’s future in Washington earlier this month, General Manager Brian MacLellan indicated the team planned to retain him.

(more at link)

While I want all of our guys back, I really want Kempney back. He and Carlson just clicked and complimented each other perfectly during the post season. I also wouldn't mind Orpik coming back on our favorite type contract around these parts, the hockey equivalent to Vet Min plus incentives if Colorado buys out his contract. Don't see it happening though and glad he redeemed himself with a stellar post season if that's it for him. Going to be interesting that's for sure and I hope we end up with majority of our guys getting resigned. If I had to pick 3 it would be Kempney, Wilson and DSP. DSP is a DC Sports hero in my mind, for so many playoffs we had to watch players like Mojo miss yawning cages in crucial moments so seeing DSP bury clutch goal after clutch goal is a part of The Run I'll never forget.

On 6/23/2018 at 6:20 PM, Popeman38 said:

3 items shipped from Fanatics yesterday, in 3 separate boxes, from the same shipped my address in Ohio. All three now in Pennsylvania. All three scheduled to be delivered on Thursday by the end of the day. How in the holy hell can it take a week to ship a package from Ohio to Virginia? It could literally be bags carried in that time. Or places in an Amish buggy. It is actually work to make mail go that slow. Effort is required. I ship stuff via FedEx all the time to California, cheapest freight, and it’s there in 3 days. 

I ordered an item from limited run games and it shipped out last Thursday from NC with a expected delivery date of this Thursday. So I'm wondering the same thing. Checking the UPS tracking number, I see that my package shipped from North Carolina and just arrived up in New Jersey. What in the Holy **** man, I guess this is how packages take a week to go half a days trip.

Bridgeport,  NJ,  United States 06/25/2018 10:13 A.M. Package departed UPS Mail Innovations facility enroute to USPS for induction
  06/25/2018 6:27 A.M. Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility
Butner,  NC,  United States 06/23/2018 5:03 A.M. Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility
  06/23/2018  

Why? Just why? Mail innovations? How is that an innovation?

10 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Wilson is indispensable.  He's trending upwards on offense, arguably our best guy on the PK, and the opposition HAS to take account when he's on the ice.  Not to mention he drives possession like crazy. 

Thank you.  I seriously think he is one of the more underrated players on the team.  He is a one man wrecking crew on the ice, i would hate having to play against that guy

55 minutes ago, zoony said:

Thank you.  I seriously think he is one of the more underrated players on the team.  He is a one man wrecking crew on the ice, i would hate having to play against that guy

I remember a lot of Caps fans were angry when we picked Wilson at #16 in 2012. We had 2 picks that year, we hit the jackpot with Filip Forsberg at #11, and then people were hoping we'd take Teuvo Teravainen with the #16. When Wilson was selected at #16, no one knew who he was, and everyone thought it was a reach.

Turns out Wilson was THE best pick (for the Caps) of that draft. 

Archived