Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Well, might need a hyphen.  Believe the offseason can only be in one year, so this offseason is 2018. 

However, the Washington Capitals are the 2017-18 Stanley Cup Champions.  Unless, people just refer to them as 2018 Stanley Cup Champions, probably makes more sense since most of the season and all the playoffs occur during that span.

I'm so content right now, it's not even funny...don't even really care what happens this offseason LOL.  Ghosts of Pittsburgh, Forsberg, McPhee, etc. ALL exercised.  Ovechkin gonna show up to camp weighing more than Big Buff, and that's OK. 

In all seriousness, I expect Carlson to walk, and the team to re-sign Kempny, DSP, and Wilson to multi-year deals.  Hopefully Grubauer is flipped for a first round pick.  I think if GMBM is smart, he can pull it off. 

^ ^ Agree with this. As a Caps fan, there's a tremendous weight thats been taken off my shoulders. I won't be the nail-biting obsessive that I used to be. Just casual and relaxed from now on, like a comfortable pair of slippers. They win, thats great, we'll go bowling. They lose, so what, we have our Cup, we have our banner. Happy days are here again.  

First matter of business is a deal for Trotz which hopefully is a formality if he wants to stay.  Then they need to care of guys like Beagle, DSP, and Kempney,.  Carlson may stay if he's willing to negotiate, if not he's gone. I am confident in MaClellan and his decision making to make the right moves so the Caps can hopefully go "back to back"

It will be interesting to see this team in the playoffs next year, playing loose.  Always used to seeing the team tense up and start playing nervous hockey

Also, get a 1st for grubaueaioouandsometimesyr please

16 hours ago, Mournblade said:

^ ^ Agree with this. As a Caps fan, there's a tremendous weight thats been taken off my shoulders. I won't be the nail-biting obsessive that I used to be. Just casual and relaxed from now on, like a comfortable pair of slippers. They win, thats great, we'll go bowling. They lose, so what, we have our Cup, we have our banner. Happy days are here again.  

Yep. This is a totally free year. We can go 0-82 and I don't even care.

With that said, lets win two in a row. Now that I've experienced a champion, I never want to lose that feeling again.

I’m going to be just as opinionated on every move, just like every off season. I enjoy it. 

The Caps need to get Trotz locked up first.

Then make a decision on Carlson. I’d offer $6 million per for 6 seasons. If he’s looking for $8-9 million, I’d wish him all the best and quickly move on. It’s more important to lock up Wilson and in a couple years Vrana then it is to overpay for Carlson. 

Definitely need to try and get a pick (probably a 2nd, maybe a conditional 1st) for Grubby and should make a decision on Bura. Probably could get a 3rd round pick for him and his $3 million can be put to better use. 

I fully expect the Caps to be better next regular season. It can’t be understated how bad they looked at times with Holtby ****ing the bed during the season and Oshie taking a long time to recover from his concussion. Both should have much better regular seasons. Plus the team should be loose but focused with one Cup in hand.

2 hours ago, zoony said:

Anyone following this bizarre story in Ottowa between Hoffman and Carrlson?  Geeeez....

It's Erik Karlsson.  When you spelled it with a C, I thought it was a story involving John Carlson

Reposting this from my Facebook, didn't feel like re-writing it, I know everyone in here will know who the guy is.  This was about 30 minutes ago.

Some folks may find this interesting, I had a brush with DC athlete stardom today. Was in one of the local Starbucks with Austin, standing around waiting, and I realize "Man, that guy next to me looks a lot like TJ Oshie."

(For those of you under a rock the past month or two, he's an extremely good hockey player for the Capitals)

Now I realized this could have been a doppelganger, but being a fan of the team, having read enough articles and human interest type stories about them, I recognized that the drinks he was grabbing...the name being called out was that of one of his close family members. If even that was a coincidence, we left at the same time, and the fact that he got into a gigantic Cadillac Escalade sealed the deal.

So did I talk to him? No, we made eye contact with each other, and I gave him a quick nod to let him know I recognized him, and left it at that. For one, I have never been a real fanboy, hero-worship type, I pretty much regard athletes as people like me, just significantly better at a sport. For two, the place was decently packed, and I didn't want to be that guy that called attention to him and got him swarmed. I suppose everyone else could have been behaving just as nicely as I was, but given my general impression of humanity, I don't think that was the case, and I wasn't going to be that guy.

I suppose in an alternate universe, he might have been sad that no one recognized him, and if that's the case, I'm sorry TJ, I saw you. But given the amount of celebrating and public stuff that's gone on recently, I'm guessing he was pretty happy to get in and get out without any hassle.

*Austin is my son..again, Facebook repost.

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

I didn’t until you mentioned it.  Crazy stuff.  Talk about an uncomfortable locker room.  Gotta break that up for sure.

Being a Skins fan, we can all relate to Ottawa's pain with locker room drama.  Let be nice and help them out.  Karlsson for a mid round pick.  Heck, throw in 2 mid rounders.

Per Elliotte Freidman:

Sources: Barry Trotz is stepping down as head coach in WASH. Please follow the thread...

We had believed Trotz was a free agent this summer. That’s not correct. There was a two-year extension if he won the Cup in WASH. But, as coaches’ contracts have exploded in value, it was below the current market. Both sides tried to negotiate an extension....

But they could not come to terms. Trotz is now a free agent, as WASH will grant permission to other teams who want to talk to him. 3/3

Archived