Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: IQ scores are falling and have been for decades, new study finds

China

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-donald-trumps-iq-heres-7983558

He's not under 100, somewhere between the two.

The article is basing their inflated estimate on the fact that Trump was accepted into a fairly prestigious college, nothing more. That conveniently overlooks the sad fact that American universities often admit dopes if they have wealthy parents who will buy them a spot.  W got into Yale, in case anyone forgot.

It also references Trump's record as a "savvy businessman," even though his record I would say shows just the opposite. Not buying that he has an above average IQ...  not by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

It also references Trump's record as a "savvy businessman," even though his record I would say shows just the opposite. Not buying that he has an above average IQ...  not by a long shot.

I'm not going to spend too much time defending it because he doesn't deserve it. 

I will say I'm going to stop underestimating him.  He's president now, with an entire political party by the balls and nearly half the country making excuses for him by systematically trying to destroy any institutions we have to stop him.  That is not the marks of someone who belongs in special ed.  Seen some other articles saying basically the same thing, its not 156, but high enough to do damage, which he's doing.

I'd say Trump's emotional IQ is probably about forty assuming a population average of 100. His ability to empathize, relate, and socially interact is highly stunted. His overall IQ is higher, but I'd hardly call him a stable genius.

Trump is unquestionably a gifted salesman/self promoter, but that is not the same thing as intelligent.

Without using a calculator or pen and paper, can you figure out what is 6 * 17? Trump and his dopey sons were on Howard Stern back in the nineties, and NONE of them could figure it out. I don't know what my IQ is, but even I can do simple math in my head, and that is part of any IQ test.

31 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Trump is unquestionably a gifted salesman/self promoter, but that is not the same thing as intelligent.

Without using a calculator or pen and paper, can you figure out what is 6 * 17? Trump and his dopey sons were on Howard Stern back in the nineties, and NONE of them could figure it out. I don't know what my IQ is, but even I can do simple math in my head, and that is part of any IQ test.

is this a trick question?

* vs x ?

58 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

What you're saying makes sense. 

I hate math, but I can get away with what I need from day to day because I do it in my head in a very modular fashion (like tipping, I know no matter what I plan to give, 10% is simply moving the decimal over, and 20% is double that number).

In regards to Trump's IQ test, I don't think it matters. To him, its just a bragging right, whatever his score is, he doesn't use for anything he doesn't care about anyway.  I can't tell how much Math really plays a part in IQ test (I don't know my score either), and what I'm seeing is math is interwoven into other factors the IQ test is looking for.  A simple math question it seems doesn't do the IQ test justice, there's context to every question in regards to what else they're testing for.

So ya, Trump is a dip ****, IQ test looks outdated, and we need to do a better job educating our kids in regards to critical thinking (everything else feeds off of the ability to put two and two together, which to me is the root difference between knowledge and intelligence, can you figure it out and how fast, we talk about that in IT all the time).

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Gotta give you that one, Renegade. ?

Country is getting a crash course right now, its good our first real taste of this is from someone who isn't putting much effort into it, we're lucky.  Nixon looks like Honest Abe in comparison.

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

6 x 17 if you prefer.

Still dumber than Hillary.

Is that * **** new math?

First ya take my fractions away and now my x?

Better to be dumb and in control than intelligent and trying to figure out how you lost :kiss-smileys:

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not going to spend too much time defending it because he doesn't deserve it. 

I will say I'm going to stop underestimating him.  He's president now, with an entire political party by the balls and nearly half the country making excuses for him by systematically trying to destroy any institutions we have to stop him.  That is not the marks of someone who belongs in special ed.  Seen some other articles saying basically the same thing, its not 156, but high enough to do damage, which he's doing.

I just want to throw out there that special ed encompasses a wide range of things, only a subset of which are about low IQ.  There are plenty of people who "belong in special ed" who can successfully run large ventures, influence people skillfully, etc.  It's way past time we stopped stigmatizing it.

More to the original point of the thread, as PeterMP said these findings are not necessarily consistent with other research.  It's also the kind of question that would be very tough to tease apart even if we did know.

For example, we know for a fact people are getting less sleep than they used to.  We also know that reduced sleep translates to lower cognitive functioning.  Is it possible that people are performing poorly, but are not necessarily less intelligent in terms of their potential had they received sufficient rest?  Could be, but that would require more research/experimentation.

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

I just want to throw out there that special ed encompasses a wide range of things, only a subset of which are about low IQ.  There are plenty of people who "belong in special ed" who can successfully run large ventures, influence people skillfully, etc.  It's way past time we stopped stigmatizing it.

Mom was a special ed teacher, I'm not even a fan of the term "retarded".  I've seen classrooms with nothing but ADHD kids and one student who really actually belonged there for school to get more funding (which wasn't fully redirected to the department she was in). I've seen classes where I have no idea how she did it outside of simply giving a ****.  There's a difference between "I have trouble focusing" and being debilitated to point she has to keep the class calm while helping someone with a seizure.  I could've used a better analogy, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

More to the original point of the thread, as PeterMP said these findings are not necessarily consistent with other research.  It's also the kind of question that would be very tough to tease apart even if we did know.

For example, we know for a fact people are getting less sleep than they used to.  We also know that reduced sleep translates to lower cognitive functioning.  Is it possible that people are performing poorly, but are not necessarily less intelligent in terms of their potential had they received sufficient rest?  Could be, but that would require more research/experimentation.

Totally agree.  The title is an eye catcher, but if you dig deep to understand it, you understand something you didn't understand going into it.

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

The article is basing their inflated estimate on the fact that Trump was accepted into a fairly prestigious college, nothing more. That conveniently overlooks the sad fact that American universities often admit dopes if they have wealthy parents who will buy them a spot.  W got into Yale, in case anyone forgot.

Plus IQ declines with age (unless it is normalized for age).

https://www.quora.com/Can-does-IQ-change-over-time

2 hours ago, twa said:

heavy metals in the fish, it may be the Russians

Oh great, now we're back to blaming everything on heavy metal. Goddamn Moral Majority.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

How much speed do you have to rub on your gums before it begins to harm your IQ anyway? And is it different for very stable geniuses?

12.5 grams. 

......answering on behalf of a friend.

59 minutes ago, twa said:

Is that * **** new math?

First ya take my fractions away and now my x?

Better to be dumb and in control than intelligent and trying to figure out how you lost :kiss-smileys:

Yes, that is an alternative symbol.  Check the calculator in Windows it has the * and not an X.

23 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Plus IQ declines with age (unless it is normalized for age).

https://www.quora.com/Can-does-IQ-change-over-time

I can definitely admit to that - what I wouldn't give to still have the memory I had in my twenties.

Trump couldn't figure out six times seventeen equals 102 twenty years ago when he was around the same age as I am now.... which means he is extra stupid now.

Archived